Let’s Build – Give Thanks Centerpiece

I was inspired by the scent of cedar during a wood supply run.  I found myself deciding between cedar and pine.  Cedar won and I’m going to stick with it for awhile, it’s a joy to work with.

This box came together like sugar and spice and I couldn’t have had more fun.  I originally made this centerpiece for the November Texas Home and Garden article.

It’s time to share building details for those who might want to make this project for their thanksgiving table; I named it “Give Thanks.”

Step One

Purchase wood and cut according to the size you want your box. Make sure after you cut your wood to sand each piece.  Having smooth edges will make your project easier to work with and complete. You’ll also want to get copper wire; I used 6 feet and finishing nails.

Step Two

Assembly is pretty fun I used finishing nails and made sure to drill pilot holes before hammering the nails in place.

Connect one end at a time and then attach the bottom.  I carefully drilled holes at each end and both long sides; this is for the copper wire to move through.

You can drill holes where you like because the accent of copper is where your creativity shines.

I used a stain to finish; you could also use paint with this same technique.  I forgot to wear gloves and halfway through staining I switched gears by adding gloves to protect my hands.

I decided to use a rag to apply the gray stain instead of a brush.  I love how the wood grain shines through; it really looks neat against the copper wire.

There is no technique when adding the wire so think about what you want to do before bending.

Step Three

Finally the project is complete; let it dry for a couple hours before adding the finishing touches.  I used two 4 inch basil plants and one 4 inch pansy.

I finished with pine cones and needle sprigs that I tucked in place.  This arrangement would be perfect for the center of any Thanksgiving table; it’s all about giving thanks in a very simple way.

The best part of this piece is you can change it out every month to go along with the season.  Think what you could do for Christmas.

Hope you enjoyed, sprucing up with simple elements is always fun.

I was hoping this post would come! 🙂 this looks like a really fun project to do with the children, and I think hubby has plenty of cedar scraps left from his canoe project. We could whip this up for next to nothing! Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to more of your unique projects!

1. Hello Karen, Glad you like it. I would love to see your finished product if you all decide to make it, it's a really easy project and the best part is you can add your own creativity to it. I've been off my feet for a few days letting a smashed toe heal and I have to tell you I'm anxious to get outside and start making some new things. Couple more days of rest and I think I can head outdoors for a few hours here and there. -Carole

Thank you for sharing at Wake Up Wednesday! 🙂

2. So cute, Carole! I think my boys would enjoy "helping" mama make this! =)

Rosemond

1. That's sounds like fun – I love it when others include their kids with their projects. Would love to see the finished product.

-Carole

3. I love it!! Looks pretty easy to make too! Fun project.

1. It was fun and yes easy to make – adding your own personal touch is the fun part.
      -Carole

4. I love this little fall box! The basil is great!! You will have summer inside all winter!

1. I love my basil just can't get enough of it so yes year round it is for me. Use to dry it but I like it better fresh .
      Thanks for stopping by hope you subscribed I've got some fun projects coming.

Carole

5. Patti Estep says:

I love this project. Especially the fact that you can mix it up from one holiday to the next. I bought an old box from an antique store recently to use as a centerpiece after I clean it up. I planned on using greens but now I'm thinking maybe a couple of live plants would be better. Thanks for the inspiration.

1. Hello Patti – Glad you liked this project. We have been downsizing in our house so my brain seems to be in creating things that have dual purpose. This was a fun project. I love vintage too – I can spend hours looking through treasures. -Carole (I relied earlier in the wrong spot.)

6. Hello Patti – Glad you liked this project. We have been downsizing in our house so my brain seems to be in creating things that have dual purpose. This was a fun project. I love vintage too – I can spend hours looking through treasures. -Carole

7. daisy g says:

It's great when you can use just a few items to create a big impact. Thanks for sharing your project on The Maple Hill Hop this week!

8. Lysa Wilds says:

What a fun and easy project for Thanksgiving! I have a ton of reclaimed wood that I have been looking for simple projects to use it on. Thanks for sharing and linking up with the #SHINEbloghop

xx
    Lysa

1. You're welcome – I love making boxes but I think dressing them up has become the fun part.
      Have a great day!! -Carole

9. Hi Carole!
    Thanks so much for coming by and taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every one of them!
    Your centerpiece is beautiful. I LOVE the pansies you added! That color is bright and cheery :0)
    The copper is also a wonderful detail! Adds a touch of artistic whimsy . . . love it!
    Thanks for sharing with us!
    Have a beautiful weekend,
    Suzanne

1. Oh I'm glad you liked it – I love working with wood and copper. Sometimes I just have a little to much fun around here. Thanks for stopping by to say hello. I enjoy meeting new people. -Carole

10. Bijee says:

I love this!! I like how you colored it with a rag instead of using a brush and hot the wood still shines through. My inner crafty girl says go try it, do it!!! My schedule laughs at me and her!
    Thanks for linking up!

1. So glad you liked it. Rag painting is fun. I say squeeze the project in and have some fun! -so glad you stopped by to say hello. I'd love to see your finished product if you decided to go for it. -Carole

11. Vanessa D. says:

I really do like the swirl of copper wire against the grey. Very pretty.

1. Thanks – this was so fun to make. Wait till you see all the fun stuff I'm getting ready to share. I might need more hours in my day to get it all done. Thanks for stopping by! -Carole

12. Hello cute lady! This looks incredible. Pinned. We really appreciate you taking the time to stop by our party. It wouldn't be a party without you. Please join us on Monday at 7 pm. Happy Saturday! Lou Lou Girls

1. Kim- you are like one of the nicest people and it so sweet of you to stop by and share. I'll see you Monday – I love that party. I spent my morning in the workshop, wait till you see what I'm building next. -Carole

13. Kim Seghers says:

Carole I love your planter it turned out beautiful! Your very talented!

Kim @ This Ole Mom

1. thank you Kim – I'm excited to share some other fun stuff in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for stopping by.
      -Carole