A Country Christmas Memory

A Country Christmas Memory

A Country Christmas Memory was pieced together with four bloggers sharing from the heart.  At the end of this post I want to invite you to visit these blogs who participated in this get together.

This time of year floods my heart with memories; there are moments to reflect and remember the good things that make us who we are.  Christmas takes me back to when I was a kid when life was a lot simpler.

a-country-christmas-memory

We begin with a trip to Nana’s house, this included my brother, Dad and I hunting through the hills for the perfect Christmas tree.  Going to Nana’s house was always an adventure; there was this sense of possibilities in the country that I found inspiring.

I grew up in a small town and she lived on acreage outside city limits, something about her place felt real and right.

Every time we arrived she greeted us kids with hugs and smiles; you felt like the most important person in the world. Her home wasn’t anything special and it didn’t matter because her focus was us kids.

She never devoured us with gifts, instead she placed pocket change in recycled Vicks jars and on special occasions like Christmas or Birthdays a Hershey bar was a bonus surprise.  She would always say, “You can treat yourself to something at the dime store.”

sharing-a-country-christmas-memory-2

Do you remember the Dime store?  I guess if you compared it to a store today it would be similar to a gas station stop where you choose grab and go items.   Or maybe it’s more like a Dollar Store?

I loved the dime stores where I grew up especially at Christmas because they always had displays with cute figurines that resembled a simple life.  I would get lost in thought glancing at each one, they made me smile.

sharing-a-country-christmas-memory-1

These figurines are from my childhood they’ve been in my family as long as I can remember. Each one symbolizes what I love about Christmas, the music that touches our heart, the candy canes that remind us why we celebrate this holiday, and the innocence of children.

If you think about it, Christmas is for the children…

Each season my mom displayed these figurines on the kitchen window seal with small candle trees and angel hair.  I was always excited to see them resurface, even as a teenager because they reminded me of simple times.

sharing-a-country-christmas-memory-3

When we moved to the farm my mom mailed me those same figurines, it was by far the neatest gift and reminded me of those visits at Nana’s farm and the Dime Store at Christmas time.  I was excited to receive them and felt like a child opening each one.

Since then each year I display these figurines in a different setting reminding me that as our lives move forward it’s those simple memories that keep Christmas real and focused, because living simple is where my heart shines.

Country Christmas Memories Continue

Visit these awesome bloggers sharing their memories of inspiration this Christmas season.

Jane from Grit Antiques

Jemma from At Home with Jemma

Judith from Botanic Blue

Country Living Bloggers Sharing Christmas Memories

Good Morning Carole,
    Thank you so much for encouraging us to share your country Christmas memories. I know I enjoyed my stroll down memory lane.
    Your collection of Hummels are beautiful, just as your touching story is of simpler, sweeter times.
    I remember those vicks jars and the many purposes that they served. This was a beautiful reflection and I enjoyed reading it so very much!
    Big Hugs to you!

You’re welcome, I enjoyed this too and reminded me that country living has always been in my heart.
      Hugs right back at you and hope you have a great week.

2. mickie mclaughlin says:

Carole…..this is a wonderful post. You took me back fifty years. I will be looking at my “old” decorations differently this year and definitely displaying them. thanks mickie

SO glad you enjoyed Mickie thanks for stopping by and sharing with me. Made me smile!

3. Cecilia says:

Loving the walk down memory lane with you. I loved the Dime store too; so many possibilities! What sweet memories the little figurines hold.
    I’ve already visited Jemma, now I am off to visit the others. Thank you for hosting this blog tour. It is heart-warming.
    Hugs,
    Cecilia

You’re welcome Cecilia. It was something that just came to me one day and felt good all around.

Love your story. We had a little grocer in the neighborhood where I grew up that had penny candy. Boy was that a treat. I had only one living grandparent, my grandmother and she was also my godmother. We would go to her house every Wednesday for dinner. She was so funny and loved to laugh and joke around. During the holidays she would come and stay with us. On Christmas morning she would shake this string of bells and yell “Ho Ho Ho. Merry Christmas!” Thanks for this post. It’s put a big smile on my face. What a great way to start the week.

Awesome! I also remember penny candy it was my favorite especially if I could get it was stored in a jar. Nothing better than a brown paper bag full of penny candy. You know we went to my other grandmas (The gardening one I write about) on Fridays. Loved it until I was old enough to do dishes. LOL You’re grandma sounded like a neat lady..

5. Botanic Bleu says:

Carole,
    Reading about your grandmother’s house reminds me of how my grandmother greeted us with big hugs and kisses every Sunday for lunch at our grandparent’s house. She also would give us a small amount of money folded up and slipped into our pockets for our birthdays. Wonderful memories of love.

Your sweet figurines are wonderful memories from your mom.

Judith

Yes Nana was something I loved those smiles and hugs. Those figurines are pretty sweet and make me smile. Thanks for stopping by Judith hope you have a great week.

6. Cheryl says:

What a sweet post! Your Nana sounds like such a sweet, dear lady. I loved the idea of the loose change in the recycled Vicks jars. How I wish life were that simple again! Truly, it CAN be, if we make the “sacrifices” and put forth the effort it requires and stop succumbing to the consumerism mindset. It takes an intentional effort, but it can indeed be done…thanks for reminding me. 🙂

Hey Cheryl, how are you? Nana was a special lady, very simple and kept to herself. I agree life can be simple and it starts by setting the example. I just don’t get into the gift giving of Christmas anymore because there’s so much more to life than stuff. It’s the memories where the heart of Christmas rests and inspires…

7. Cheryl says:

So sorry to hear about your beloved dog’s passing, too….I know how much that hurts, so my heart goes out to you!

Thank you for your kind words..

Hi Carole, I love your story. It is so true about simplicity…it is always the little things that I remember. Your story reminds me of my Oma. The last picture I have of the both of us is Christmas time and we have our paper hats on.

Those figurines are adorable…what a treasure.

Thank-you for asking me to take part in a Country Christmas Memory. I have enjoyed reading everyone’s posts and my heart is filled with memories, xo

I’m glad you joined this one and thank you for accepting the invite. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed reading each one. I was staging a photo today and said to my husband, “I think next year I’ll just stick with the figurines for Christmas decorating and call it good.” Well that and signs because I do enjoy making those. Have a Great week and I’m looking forward to seeing what you have made for Friday.

9. Courtney says:

I’m glad I stopped over from Grit Antique’s blog, enjoyed the walk down memory lane and remembering dime stores, great post! xo
    Courtney

Thanks for stopping by Courtney – those dime stores were the best and I find that memory lane is sometimes the best part about Christmas.

10. I’m loving these sentimental Christmas memory posts. How wonderful that you still have those charming figurines!

Yes I enjoy those figurines each year which is neat and I agree looking back has been fun. Thanks for stopping to share Ellis.

11. Carol M says:

I love this post! It really resonates with me because of a similar story in my own childhood. My Christmas shopping was always done at Woolworth’s. My mamaw would often talk of the collie the family had when my mother and her siblings were growing up in the country. His name was Mike. One Christmas at Woolworth’s, I found a replica of Mike and gave him to my mamaw. Mike cost $.50, but occupied a place of honor on the fireplace mantle at my mamaw’s home for years, then on a shelf. When mamaw died in 1994, Mike came to live with me. Unfortunately, Mike took a few spills over the years, and is chipped and has a leg glued back on, but he is priceless to me. He reminds me of what is important in this life: loving and being loved. My mamaw was a simple, resourceful woman who raised seven children in some very trying circumstances. She still maintained a strong faith and made everyone feel welcome at her home. Thank you for bringing this story to my heart. Hope you have a blessed holiday season.

Thanks for sharing Carol – life is just one awesome story and it’s even better when we share it. Thanks for taking the time to share your memory. That was awesome!

12. j erickson says:

just read all these comments…………..how great is that you have so many followers, and yes i do believe there are more of those memories in all of my decorations. have a great day. you are a magnificent woman and daughter. love you mom

Very blessed and yes many neat Christmas memories in the mix of all those decorations. I don’t think anybody could have ever enjoyed Christmas as much as you, it was always like a winter wonderland at our home Thanks for sharing, love you too!