Countryside Magazine Growing Luffa

As I continue to freelance I find it a great avenue to reach a larger audience for all the things I’ve learned and blessed to experience.  In the January/February issue of Countryside magazine you’ll find a detailed article on Growing Luffa.

I’ve written for this magazine before where I shared Raising Quail Outdoors, it’s nice to be back; it’s been a pleasure working with their editor Ryan Slabaugh.

picture2

Inside on page 22 you’ll find a detailed article with images from our farm where I’ve experienced growing luffa on a large and small scale.  This is your go to article to learn more and see if this crop is something you may to implement on your homestead.

countryside-luffa

In addition to my article they also have another luffa piece written by Kenny Coogan.  They shared a Stir fry recipe that looks pretty tasty.  I’ve enjoyed edible Luffa in sweet bread and muffins.  It’s super tasty especially if you remember to add cinnamon.

In addition to these articles they also have many more that inspire life on the homestead, from heating your home to setting goals for the New Year.  Check out this awesome magazine, it’s in stores now, I just saw it at Tractor Supply while I was picking up feed for the emus.  Visit C0untryside here.

Countryside Magazine Growing Luffa inside by Carole West

1. Jennifer says:

Congratulations on your article, Carole! This is Jennifer (formerly of My Flagstaff Home). I tried growing luffa in Flagstaff, but the growing season wasn’t long enough. Wish I had thought to grow them inside. Anyway, we recently moved to a location with an 8-month growing season!!! Oh, and I have a new blog–Little Green Farmhouse (littlegreenfarmhouse.com). I’ll be looking for the magazine. 🙂

Hey Jennifer, I just checked out your blog, love the border on top will be subscribing shortly. Luffa is so fun to grow and I also have three articles here on the blog under crops. Send me an email when you get a chance I have something you might be interested in participating in.

I’ve never grown luffa and didn’t even realize people did this, and I had no idea that you could eat it.
    Popping over to see more.

Walmart and Barnes and Noble will have this magazine on shelves too. It’s a fun plant I had a fantastic little harvest this year from just one plant. Oh and the vines you can make wreaths with them after they’re hit by that first freeze. I’ll have to dig through some pictures at some point and share with you..

3. Nola Marth says:

FYI
    The leaves of the luffa are one of the highest anti cancer property plants they have found.
    Just do a search on luffa and cancer.
    I have found it likes a long season, 10 months… And takes time to get started.
    So I plant mine in the house Jan 1, transplant to full sun with the tomatoes and cukes.
    It doesn’t cross pollinate with cukes, pumpkin, squash. So makes a great divider plant.
    If you want to save seeds, wait until the plant sucks the water out of the fruit.
    Leave it hanging dry as long as possible to let the seeds ripen.

The leaves I lay out on a screen to dry and then put them in gallon jars for tea.
    You can also fold a stack of leaves into squares and put into a ziplock and freeze.
    Or blend the dry leaves into a powder and put into gelatin capsules.

In the community garden, I have a 3 leaves maximum sign…
    Or it would be stripped down to a stump.

4. Cheryl says:

This is SO neat, Carole! Congratulations on your article, my friend. 🙂 God bless you with many more such adventures in 2017!

Congratulations Carole! I hope to find the magazine…it’s exciting to see your article in print…can’t imagine how it feels for you. Luffa sounds interesting!