Winter Challenge Stenciled Chicken Coop

This post contains affiliate links for Cutting Edge Stencils, Click here to read site terms.

It’s that time of year again when our seasonal challenge reminds us that life is filled with wonderful blessings. I’m simply honored to work with this awesome group of bloggers who inspire others with their own creativity.

Maria from Nature Decor was the Winter Challenge leader and this one fell in line with one of my favorite activities, stenciling.   Trying to figure out what to make was a bit of a challenge because I’m doing my best not to accumulate more stuff.

Maria chose Cutting Edge Stencils  for this challenge where each blogger had the freedom to pick the stencil of their choice.  I went with the Starburst Zinnia because I’m missing flowers at the moment. I didn’t really have a plan for this project until I finished painting our recycled chicken coop.

The idea was to jazz up a simple but fun little mobile chicken coop.  To do this I needed a sunny afternoon while the chickens were out and about free ranging.

The free range part was a slam dunk because our chickens roam the farm all day long.  The difficult part was waiting for the coop to dry out between rainfalls.

How to Stencil

The surface of this coop was painted wood and I knew stenciling would be a breeze for the most part.  Complete details on how to stencil with success can be found here.

I used white chalk paint which I love because it dries fast but what I found even after taping down this type of stencil I still had to hold it in place with my other hand because there was a lot of lifting taking place during the transfer.

Adding Some Words

After the flowers were added around the entire coop it was necessary to add some words.  This simple step personalized the project and the letters came from Hobby Lobby, you can find them here.

The Chickens Approve

Because six chickens live here I decided “Hen House” was fitting and later they seemed pretty happy with their stylish coop.   Honestly I think they were just happy that I moved the house away from the emus.

Fresh Eggs was added to the back of the nesting box addition using smaller letters from a previous project; these individual letters are fun because you can create your own message.  Make sure with stencil letters they’re lined up correctly so spacing looks natural.

Finally the coop is complete and looking much fancier than it was previously.  If you like the idea of a mobile chicken coop and jazzing it up stencils then make sure to check out my newest published article in Backyard Poultry here, inside you’ll find a DIY Mobile Chicken anyone can build.

Hen House Fun using Stencils on the Chicken Coop

Visit the Winter Challenge

Stencils for the following project can be found at Cutting Edge Stencils Here.

Maria: Simple Nature Decor

Karen: To Work With My Hands

Patti: Hearth and Vine

Joyce: At Home With Jemma

Bon Bon: Farmhouse 40

Susan: Momcrieff

Well, all I can say is Great Minds Think Alike! Love your chicken coop. The starburst zinnia is the perfect touch.

You got that right.. Those chickens have now moved on I sold them this weekend and the coop went with them.

Good Morning!
    Well, if I was a chicken I would love this coop! So creative and so adorable!
    Happy Monday,

Happy Monday to you too! The sun is shinning so you just can’t go wrong and those chickens were pretty thrilled.

You really gave those girls a cute little home…I love how you dressed the coop up so nicely. It’s a fun reminder that those summer zinnias are not so far away. 🙂

Thanks for another fun challenge. It’s been great doing it again with you sweet ladies.

Thank you Karen and I agree so ready for a new batch of wonderful zinnias to enjoy and thanks always for your awesome participation.

4. Susan M. says:

I love seeing your chickens! Hope those gals realize how lucky they are to have such a nice hen house!

Well these happy gals went onto a new farm, I sold them to a friend with the coop so I could have a little chicken break. Come spring I’ll start over..

5. BonBon says:

Wow your Hens are styling now. This is so cute. I am going to check out your article on Backyard Poultry. I am wanting to have fresh eggs and didn’t know how or where to start. Thanks

Hey Bon Bon – If you click under Quail Plus I have a chicken category. There might be some helpful articles there if you’re looking to raise free range chickens in a mobile coop. I love the moving coop because you don’t have to clean them. Much better for the birds, the owner and land.

6. This is hands-down the cutest chicken coop I’ve ever seen! I love the flower stencil and the whimsical sayings. This would make me smile everytime I looked in my backyard!

Thank you Meredith – I have another cute one in Backyard Poultry this month. I love dressing up coops with stencils it’s just to fun!

Adorable! You’re always jazzing something up on the farm! Great work!

8. Very cute projects, perfect for your farm. Love how the red makes the stencil design pop.
    Maria

this has to be the cutest chicken coop ever! Hen House, Fresh Eggs, how adorable!

10. Nancy says:

I was just curious, coops are supposed to have about 4 cubic feet of vetilation per bird. Is that big enough, even for just night use? Cute, but the size?

I’ve never heard of the 4 square ft per ventilation but have heard of 4 sq. ft per roaming range. We’ve had chickens for years and have always had great results with mobile coops as the ground is open, there are also additional gaps underneath the roof for additional ventilation. Our birds snuggle up at night and then their out the door in the morning to free range the rest of the day.