DIY Farmhouse Sign for $10

This month I wanted my Ten on the 10th project to inspire additional projects so I decided to make a stenciled sign using a fence board and a pack of letter stencils from Hobby Lobby.  If you already have wood and paint at home then your project will be less than $10.  Let’s take a look at the supply list and dive into the details to make your own Farmhouse sign.

Supplies

Additional DIY Tools & Accessories

I’m going to assume you already have these basic DIY items at home so you may need to go rummage through the garage or craft space first.

• Saw
  • Electric Sander with sand paper
  • Paint brush
  • Rag

Step One

Dixie doodle was hanging out with me during step one waiting for a treat; when I grabbed the saw she left and headed to the pasture to hunt.  She’s my new farm shadow and I’ve been enjoying her company.

This step is easy; we’re going to cut the wood to the appropriate length.  If you’re sticking with Farmhouse then the board will need to be at least 2.5 feet.

Step Two

• After the board is cut sand both sides and the edges until smooth.
  • I did a Paint Stain with white, that technique can be found here or you can leave the board natural.
  • After it dries prepare your letters for stenciling. How to Stencil with success can be found here.

Stenciling is a matter of making sure your brush is dry or as I like to say, less is best.  Because we’re adding letters one at a time make sure they’re aligned so each one is straight.  You can do this by placing a faint dot or line on the wood for each letter prior to stenciling.

Step Three

This sign should dry pretty quickly and then it’s time to figure out where you want to display it.  I played around with mine in the yard but later I took it indoors and placed it on the wall above my desk.

Since we started with a 6 ft fence board you have enough leftover wood to make another sign.  So have fun with this easy project and make it your own.

Visit these Awesome Blogs to see what they did for $10

White Spray Paint

At Home with Jemma

Bluesky Kitchen

Cottage at the Crossroads

Garden Up Green

Patina and Paint

Poofing the Pillows

The Purple Hydrangea

The Queen in Between

To Work With My Hands

DIY Farmhouse Sign project for $10 - Can't beat that.
Image Map

1. Stacey says:

Absolutely adorable! You make me realize that anyone can make this without spending a lot of money. 🙂

Anything is possible you just first need the desire..

Great project and I just love the name Dixie Doodle. So cute. You make it all look so easy. And for $10, sooo affordable. Can’t wait to see what the rest of the gals did.

Well her name is really just Dixie but one day I added the doodle because she was dinkin around ignoring me when I was calling her. She’s a true country dog and after other dog passed away in November we’ve had a better opportunity to hang out and bond I guess because we always seems to be side by side now. I’m going to use those letters next to jazz up her doghouse for the new property. She must sleep in style.

3. Tammy says:

Carole,
    You are an inspiration. I get the impression that you can do just about anything. You inspire me to learn how to use my husbands table saw….. Love the sign!

Well to be honest I do my best to never limit myself to what is possible.

4. Lisa says:

I love this sign! I need to whip up a few of these myself.

Have a great weekend.

I caught sight of Dixie there before I even got to your words and thought, “I’ll bet she’s Carole’s shadow”. So sweet how she hangs around with you.

Great project, Carole. I’ve definitely caught the stencil bug myself and now with the new paint technique I learned from you too, there’s an endless supply of projects to dig into.

Yes that Dixie doodle is something else, she is definitely my shadow. I should do a post about her, she keeps life interesting. What till you see what I’ve been working on next. This is a fun one and it involves some stenciling too but I think it may have to be a part 1 and 2 post.

Once again you have inspired me! You know I am not proficient in stenciling like you are. Love this sign and oh I see that you had a trusty friend by your side. That really made me smile too.
    Have a super weekend my friend!

Dixie is my new farm companion we seem to go everywhere together lately. As for stenciling I do love it, helps me relax and just go to a different place. Hope you have a great weekend too!

love Dixie! so much fun to create for less…I need to try my single letters to create new words

Single letters are fun if you want to do something specific.

8. I love this project because I love anything that says “farmhouse”, “old” weathered wood, and words and stencils. It has it all. A super project with a lot of bang for your buck. Thanks for sharing.

9. Shelly says:

Looks so simple…I am so envious of crafters!