DIY Hanging Strawberry Planter

The weather has been amazing the last couple of days so it was a good time to update one of the galvanized hanging planters.  I dumped the entire container on the ground and started from scratch because this planter also needed an internal overhaul.

I wanted to make a hanging strawberry planter so I purchased two allstar plants because these berries produce all at once instead of sporadic production like many others.

Filling the Container

This planter needed to be lighter because it’s rather large and the weight can become overwhelming especially after watering. This led me to incorporating the following ingredients; each one was placed in the order listed below.

1. Cut up luffa sponges for the base
  2. Pine needles and small wood chips next
  3. Light potting soil
  4. Llama poo
  5. More Potting Soil

Separating the Plants

I purchased two 4 inch plants and instead of just sticking those inside I decided to separate each one and lucky me discovered 4 plants.  This allowed planting each one opposite of one another giving them room to stretch as they grow.

Strawberries in general don’t grow as well when placed in crowded conditions so it’s important to always thin out plants between seasons and not over populate when planting in containers.

The planter currently looks a little skimpy which is good because in about 4 weeks these strawberries will send out new shoots that can begin to grow up, out and eventually trail down.  It’s going to look amazing!

Waiting for Trailing Strawberries

This container use to be part of an old chicken feeder after drilling holes in the base and sides for drainage and hanging it turned out to be a fun planter since it was something leftover from the farm.

When these plants blast off with new growth we’ll revisit this project so you can see how pretty trailing strawberries appear. This type of planter is wonderful because it offers green foliage year round and a nice harvest of fresh strawberries anyone would enjoy.

You can create a similar planter with a plastic pot or any recycled container that offers good drainage.  Have fun with this and grow some tasty goodness with your DIY planter.

DIY Hanging Strawberry Planter for Edible beauty

Yum. There’s nothing better than a fresh strawberry. Well, maybe a tomato but that’s more savory. Love the old chicken feeder part as the container. It gives function and flair to the project. Hanging it in the air will help with critters too. Great idea.

Yes I remember when we had cows one kicked the chicken feeder and it no longer worked properly so I decided how about a planter? I agree it will keep the critters out which is a help. This chickens loved to eat strawberries too.

2. Cecilia says:

That’s really cool. I have an old container that would make a good planter if it’s not too shallow. Do strawberries need a deep container?

Strawberries has a compact root system so you don’t need a huge container like this. I’m wanting them to trail so that’s why I chose this style of container. It also allowed me to include additional natural resources that are good for the plants.

Good Morning Carole!
    I love this hanging planter and you have been so resourceful with your supplies.
    Love this information on berry plants too, you always share the most useful information!

Good Morning – it’s been productive here an I just say the sunshine is a good motivator. I love strawberries, it was my first real job at the age of 12. In the Summer my brother and I worked for the Sakuma brothers – we hopped the bus in the early morning and picked flats of berries till after noon. I think my first check was around $150. Which was about 4 weeks of work.

1. mickie mclaughlin says:

Loved reading your story about your first job. It brought back memories of when an elderly neighbor had me pick her strawberries…..six for her one for me. I was thrilled to take them home to Mom. Of course I ate all I could while in the berry patch. This is a creative planter, I love the rustic/farm look AND the fact that the chickens won’t get into it. ha ha NOW WHERE TO GET LLAMA POO!!!!! Have a wonderful day Carole. mickie

You know I was going to add that experience to the post but every time I mention I picked strawberries for a job people look at me a little weird.. LOL and say things like, “You shouldn’t share that.” Anyways I’m glad you enjoyed, it was a good experience and I did it for 3 seasons watching my little paycheck increase each year. Field work helped me appreciate the meaning of a paycheck.

This is a fun planter and I’m hoping once it begins to trail we can revisit this post again. Finding Llama poo may be as easy as googling farms in your area. Most farmers/ranchers use Llamas for guard animals and fiber if that helps. Alpaca is also good; I have an entire chapter in my new book about manure. Hope you have a wonderful day too Mickie – always nice to hear from you. -Carole

What a great container! Oh, aren’t you clever in your upcycling! I think I need to get some strawberry plants. I haven’t grown them in years, but it’s very rewarding.
    Thanks for sharing the inspiration!
    Enjoy your weekend!

You always inspire me, Carole, and this gorgeous weather we’re having over here too is really working on me. I had big plans to get two more planters built today – since I’m a little building hot-shot now! 🙂 – but running the kids all over the place today for activities took priority. Those raised beds are happening in the next few days though, I’m determined! We loaded the two new beds up last week with direct compost and had a soaking rain this week, which was perfect. It’s going to be amazing in those beds in a few weeks when we plant.

Samuel loves strawberries and had talked about growing them in his little raised bed. We may do that, but I’ve got to make a few of these hanging planters too for myself. I love this! Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

I’m thinking you could do this same project in plastic containers and hand them. They would look in sets of three trailing would be amazing! I’m hoping to get back in the garden next week after a few more projects that have been nagging at me. Thanks for stopping by always nice to hear from you.

could you just come over for a day! I have a few of those containers and fresh strawberries would be…yummy!

I’d love to come over for the day. We could have such fun!

7. There’s nothing better than fresh strawberries, right off the plant! I love that your planter has such character. Now I’m on the hunt for a container of my own to try this with…

I agree – strawberries are a staple here I just can’t get enough of them. You can find those containers at tractor supply new and then let it age naturally or flea markets might be another good resource.

8. Linda Lyle says:

Love the idea…but…..where in the world did you find llama poo? Would any kind of manure work as well?

Linda – Great question – I had a llama as a guard animal when I was raising sheep on our farm. You could use any type o fertilizer llama just happens to be my favorite.

9. Brenda says:

Will all strawberries trail down?

Hello Brenda, They can trail in containers because strawberry plants put out shoots when planted in the ground, this is one way how new plants are propagated. In containers it causes them to trail because there isn’t anywhere else to go.