Grit Farmers Market Sign

In the newest issue of Grit Magazine I begin with sharing memories centered around country drives and roadside farm markets.  Eventually I take this article on the path of how to make your own farm market sign for those seeking to sell home grown goodness where they live.

Did you ever go on country drives when you were a kid?  I just loved the rows of corn fields and the John Deer pea viners making their way from one field to the next.  Those drives were like an escape into paradise, there was this sense of good and inspiration in the air because people were doing something.

At a very young age I believed country life was the best thing even though I never experienced it…

I was pretty smart huh?

Eventually I made it to the countryside, living on my own real life farm.  This image is my farm stand, it’s based on the honor system and I have really enjoyed it.  Sometimes I think the hardest part of a neighborhood market is trying to figure out what customers like.

Because it’s winter the shelves have been empty but I recently decided I could make some birdhouses and fun signs to fill in because an empty farm market is a sad sight.

I ran across another farm stand online from a blogger who follows my Facebook page. This made me smile, she has some neat ideas and I loved her flowers.  Find that here.

Pick up a copy of the new March/April Grit Magazine; it’s my hope you enjoy this article because I had a blast writing it.  I promise it will inspire even if you have no desire to open a Farm Market.  There is also a really good article on tillers for those of you with big garden plans.

Grit Magazine can be purchased at Tractor Supply, most book and grocery stores.

Or you can always subscribe here.

Grit Magazine - Discover how to Make your own Farm Market Sign

What a cool idea! When I was a kid my father used to pack us all up and take us on country drives. I still like to do that today. I’ll be on the lookout for your article the next time I go to the store. Have a great weekend Carole.

I love country drives too and I live in the country. It just helps clear my mind and gets my creativity on track.

2. Cecilia says:

I always loved the drive to my grandparents ranch. All those lovely miles of countryside filled with cattle and horses. It wasn’t until I was an adult though that I saw a roadside stand. Fascinating! Love yours. What a neat idea!

I grew up in a heavy populated farming area so farm stands were everywhere was so neat. I think my favorite was the daffodil and tulip stands.

3. kim says:

Hi Carole – I look forward to a trip to Tractor Supply so I can pick up a copy of Grit and read the article. Your stand is so cheerful and adorable. When I saw your potting stand project earlier this week – I thought hey that could be a farm stand! I love country drives too. My husband and I don’t do it as often as we used to. That is something to work on. There aren’t very many farm stands in our neck of the woods here in Virginia. However, my family comes from Amish country in Pennsylvania, where there is a stand at every corner. That’s where my farming roots come from and where my dreams of having my own farm and stand originated. Thank you for including a link to my blog and my own dreams of a successful farmstand. Best, Kim – Red Dirt Farm.

Hello Kim,
      Tractor Supply should have it by next week. Normally it’s around the 20th and there after. I agree that Potting stand could be modified into a neat farm stand too. Make it just a little bigger I think and it would be perfect. Enjoyed your farm stand post just made my day.

Hi Carole,
    Country drives, pumpkins, apples, fresh milk and eggs for sale on a country road stand or even a little girl (me) who won a koolaid stand and set up shop. All friendly and quaint reminders that country living is by far the best.
    Country people “get it,” and their bond with nature is priceless. You have certainly captured the essence of country living!
    Congrats on your published article in Grit magazine too!

Hey Jemma – I bet you miss those days? I know I would… Growing up on a farm was my idea of the greatest thing ever something I really did dream about. One time I had a lemonade stand in front of our house. We lived on the main street because both my parents had their business out of the home and I set up shop using a car table It was short lived… think that idea came from a Charlie Brown cartoon. Yes I agree, we do “Get it” in the country and realized that even more on my way back from Rockwall today. We need to do lunch again….
      Hugs,