Growing Cool Crop Onions

When I was purchasing pansies last week I grabbed a bunch of onion sets at the checkout.  I’m not sure what I was thinking because it wasn’t but a couple of weeks ago when I decided to be finished with this garden so I could focus on the new property.  When you have the gardening bug details can be overlooked.

Onions are a cool crop and for the most part pretty easy to grow if you have groomed fertilized soil and lots of sunlight.  When to plant can be tricky and for the most part you want to wait until the early spring.

When to Plant Onions

The ideal time frame to plant onion sets would be when the ground is soft and can be worked which is normally March or April and make sure temperatures won’t be dropping below 20 degrees.

After tracking our weather I decided to go ahead and plant this small amount of onion sets now because I’m pretty sure our extremely cold weather has passed and they can handle light freezes and frost.

Planting Tips

• Soil should be soft or freshly tilled, moist with good drainage.
  • Plant in direct sunlight – onions love the sun.
  • Plant small sets 1 inch deep making sure they’re about 4 inches apart.
  • I used my small garden spade which I love because it moves the soil without any difficulties.
  • Add one single set to each hole and cover it up until all the onions are in the ground.
  • I skipped watering because rain is in the forecast and the soil was already moist.

Planting in Minutes and Harvesting Advice

This planting task was quick and easy; I was done in a matter of minutes looking around thinking what else could I do?  So I buried some direct compost and went on my way.

Onions mature around 110 days so these should be ready to harvest in May and if you wait to plant in March your gathering dates could be extended towards the end of May or the first part of June.  Onions would also be a great addition to the Startle Garden.

Have you seen my new book it’s now available and the perfect guide to growing your best garden from the ground up.

Growing Cool Crop Onions is easy with the right soil and sunlight

Good Morning Carole,
    These onion sets are wonderful, our garden was tilled again yesterday so you know what I will be doing with the onion sets that you so generously shared with me!
    Love gardening!
    Hugs,
    jemma

Nice fresh tilled soil is so wonderful. Gardening is the best and so good for the soul.

You make me smile. Those best-laid plans can totally crumble when a gardening opportunity like that is right in front of you.
    I had forgotten just how simple onions are. I’m pretty sure I could find some out in stores here too, and I’ve got the perfect place to tuck a few sets into. Thanks for the inspiration. It’s just what I needed.

Smiles are good! I was thinking earlier today that it would be neat to leave behind a planted garden so I’m making plans and have a new project I want to start this week. The builder bug arrived too!

It’s good to stay open to all the possibilities! Enjoy watching them grow!

Was fun to get my hands back in the dirt.

4. Cecilia says:

I don’t blame you for not resisting buying and planting the onions. It’s so hard not to garden! I bet whoever buys your property will be happy to have a garden already started!

It is hard to resist but I think a building project may be in the works this week to keep my mind occupied. I do plan to get most of the garden planted depending on our temperatures through March.

I would like to eat at your house…everything fresh from the garden! I’m still in the dream stage, but I enjoy watching you and one day I’ll have a small garden. We definitely have the room.

Fresh food from the garden is the best in the meantime try shopping at farmer’s markets for awesome goodness. You should really get my new book because I break gardening down into steps from the ground up focused on starting small.

6. Botanic Bleu says:

Carole,
    Now, I’m thinking we should plant some onions… Thanks for the tips on growing.

Judith

You should because they’re so easy and good for you.