Updating Planters Between Seasons

Our winter has been extremely gloomy this year but then something amazing happened; we ended January with temperatures in the 70’s.  This inspired me to update the front yard planters because sometimes they can look a little tired between seasons.

Finding plants to purchase this time of year can sometimes be difficult, especially if you live in much colder climates. This time I kept things simple and unfortunately found myself at the larger box store nurseries, this is never my first choice but I was in a hurry.

Purchasing Plants

Store visit number one left me with a combination of dwarf Dianthus, Snow Cone Candytuft and Asian Jasmine.  I love this type of green Jasmine in planters because it offers a nice texture and color.

What I really wanted were pansies because I sold the chickens over the weekend and I can finally have pansies in the front yard without concern of them becoming a chicken snack.  This took me to store visit number two.

There I found many colorful pansies and I was so excited that I grabbed without really thinking, it was that light blue color almost lavender that really caught my attention and I’ll tell you why in a moment.

Colder Climates

If you live in much colder climates this type of planting activity might not be possible.  However you can always update planters with fun gourds and interesting pieces of enamelware or figurines.

Updating Planters

I ended up cleaning out most of the front yard planters starting back at square one.  This 2 x 4 planter is a favorite and very easy to build; you can find that tutorial here.  The enamelware next to the dianthus and snow cone will look even better once it begins blooming additional flowers.

Finally we’re back at that pretty blue almost lavender pansy, I purchased two and may go back to get more. They fit perfectly in these clay pots nestled in the corners of this fun planter I made last fall.  That color feels like my heart right now. Kind of like it has a lot to say but I’m not sure how to say it…. So I guess I’ll keep updating planters between the seasons until I can find the right words to express my thoughts..  But don’t these planters look better?

Updating The Planters Between the Seasons

Yes, they look so bright and cheery. Pansies are such a welcome sight at the end of winter. Hopefully we’ll get some soon. And that blue color, gorgeous! I want some of those.

Today I think our high is 49 but warmer temperatures are back this weekend. I agree that blue is something fantastic, thanks for stopping by..

Growing up in Idaho we only had snow in the Winter, so when we left that beautiful State for Texas…I fell in love with Winter gardening.
    I love pansies too and you have inspired me to get some today and put them in some planters!
    (The bunnies nibbled on the ones in the garden)

Winter gardening down here is full of surprises isn’t it? I had to hunt down those pansies so hope you can find some too.

Love how cheery they are! Pansies are one of my favorites. I may have to go out and get some this weekend. Nicely done!

A little dark here today think rain is headed our way so these pansies are a warm welcome!

Your updated planter is beautiful! Everything I have looks so dull and gloomy (even though our weather has been really moderate to warm here too). I just cleaned out a pot yesterday and a cheery pansy would be perfect in it. And that Jasmine…always a winner, no matter the weather, huh? I’ve got a couple in pots – one growing up a spiral trellis, but the other is just waiting for me to finally do something with it. I picked them both up last year on clearance at one of those big box stores too. I think I need to build a few cute boxes like yours and pair that jasmine with some bright pansies! 🙂
    Have a wonderful weekend, Carole! Can’t wait for the release of your book. I know it is going to be fantastic!

Thank you, I felt the same way and when those warm temps arrived and the chickens were finally gone I was inspired to do something about it. Check your email subscribers have early purchase advantages today..

5. Kim Smith says:

Great ideas and such pretty flowers and photos. Yes, we have had such weird weather this year, but it always changes by the next day or next week. Here’s wishing for spring!

Hello Kim and I have to tell you I’m so enjoying this planter. Temperatures did cool here the last couple of days but they’re suppose to pick back up next week. I love these little invites to the idea of spring approaching. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

flowers just make everything looks so much prettier! I don’t want to rush the season, but I love spring and all the flowers.

Love my flowers inside and out. Spring is great it’s when everything comes back to life.