Are You Growing Thyme?

Are you growing Thyme - this herb is an easy addition.

Thyme is one of those herbs I love to grow because it’s delicate by appearance, easy to grow, easy to propagate and has the ability to turn a meal into something amazing. Each leaf is small and hardy by comparison to other herbs.  It’s curled shape measures about one eighth of an inch long; this can make harvesting a bit tedious.

The taste is light and almost penetrating if prepared correctly and I bet if you have it growing in your garden you would agree. I enjoy adding fresh thyme in omelets and scrambled eggs.  On occasion, I’ve also included thyme into cooked beans, many soups and my favorite pasta.

The Plant

Thyme is a perennial, a member of the mint family and it blooms a wonderful flower in the summer and fall.  This plant would be beautiful to any landscape layout because it’s low to the ground and presents a nice statement year- round.

I planted a small 4- inch plant several seasons back with my other herbs.  Because it grows out there have been many times where propagating this beauty became necessary to keep it from taking over the raised bed.  This wasn’t a bad thing because it allowed the opportunity to expand planting without the additional expense.

Possible Growing Problems

There can be some growing problems to be aware of, one would be spider mites during the dry months.  To prevent this, make sure you don’t forget to water. Humid climates can also offer root rot and fungus disease, when choosing where to plant offer direct sunlight, good soil drainage and air circulation.

To help the plant reach its full potential remember to implement feeding the soil, my favorites would be direct compost and use manure fertilizer.  Mulch is necessary year- round as the root system is close to the surface.

Harvesting

Harvesting is a matter of cutting stems with sheers, washing each one and removing the green leaves from the stem; this can be time consuming.  I harvest and prep before cooking begins because I enjoy this herb fresh from the garden.

If you want to harvest thyme for drying cut long stems in bunches, wash and air dry by hanging a group upside down.  It’s a simple process and keeps you from having to run the garden during the cold winter months.

Here’s an idea how about just planting a herb garden outdoors near the kitchen?  This is something I may need to consider for later.  Any thoughts?

Are you growing Thyme - this herb is an easy addition.

Thyme Health Benefits

With herbs, there is always a list of benefits that compliment good health.  This is one of the reasons why I recommend growing them, not just because they’re easy to maintain and taste fantastic but they offer many positive incentives to our health.

Thyme can help with chest and respiratory problems, this includes coughs, bronchitis and chest congestion.  If you suffer from upper respiratory you may enjoy thyme added in a cup of tea to help relieve some of that pain.

My favorite tea is a mint, honey and thyme blend, especially on those cold damp mornings.  It just warms the soul.

This herb is also a good source of vitamin A and C. If you’re not growing thyme, ask yourself why not?  When I say herbs are the easiest of plants to grow it’s really true. Thyme can triple its size in one season if cared for correctly. Today might just be the day to add this delicate green beauty to your garden.  Spice up your life a little by growing some thyme.

Adding Thyme to your herb garden is easy with these tips

Hi Carole,

I love thyme and at one point I was a collector. Lemon thyme is my favorite to cook with. I especially like to add it to Ranch package dip for a quick veggie dip. Woolly thyme is another fun one for planting as a pretty ground cover. My girlfriend used to have it growing between her pavers and it looked beautiful.
    Definitely one to grow.
    Patti

I love the idea o using in between pavers. It’s a favorite here and bringing it into the kitchen is the best. Thanks for stopping by hope you have a wonderful Tuesday Patti.

2. Cecilia says:

Oh I love thyme! It even grew in our heavy clay soil with some amendments. It’s not a fussy plant. I’m going to put at least one in my fairy garden and when it gets too big, I’ll move it to a more permanent home.

I agree a very easy to grow plant. I’m thinking about doing a little fairy garden. Still in the thinking stages so I’m not sure.

Thyme is a favorite here too. Love the subtle aroma and taste. We are starting it now in our “tin can garden”.
    A fairy garden sounds like fun! You could make all of their fairy furniture!

Yes it is nice and subtle and such a joy especially during it’s blooming season. I sure do enjoy it in my tea.

4. Stacey says:

I love thyme and have always incorporated it in our beds. In our Oklahoma house I did plant it between pavers and it was very sturdy to withstand the traffic. I never remember to bring it in for cooking but really enjoy running my hands through it to get the scent when I’m out working. 🙂

It’s amazing in the kitchen, I can’t imagine not cooking without a variety of fresh herbs. They just make food taste great!

I’m so fond of thyme. I had a wonderful plant for many years and it was a hard blow when I lost it. A couple years ago I thought it would be nice to relocate it. Apparently it didn’t agree.
    I’ve got some tiny plants now in my kitchen tea cup herb garden and am so eager to get them into the herb bed this spring. They’re just now beginning to be fragrant when I rub the tiny leaves.
    I so miss having my own fresh thyme. I love it to mince it with garlic and onions and add to cubed pan potatoes cooked in butter – so yummy!

I have found the main plant likes to stay put but propagating parts of it and moving them elsewhere works like a charm. I love how it really takes off around the late part of spring and then just thrives in the summer. It’s a keeper!

6. I love thyme! I hadn’t thought of growing it myself, though. I love perennials. 🙂

love thyme! your tea sounds yummy…need to give it a try 🙂

8. Saundra Loman says:

Carole,
    I, too, love thyme. It can get tedious stripping the leaves off the stems. If I’m cooking soups, stews, beans, etc., I put the whole stems in. The leaves come off the stems by themselves & it’s easy to pick out the stems.
    You are so right, they’re easy to grow, beautiful, perennial, & smell sooo good. Sandy in California

Yes in stews and soups I do the same thing. Just love it and the smell it’s so unique, I just propagated some the other day because over all our winter was pretty light and it grew quite a bit. Thanks for stopping by Sandy was nice to hear from you.