DIY Decoupage Birdfeeder Planter

The spring challenge is here and this was truly a test of discovery to see if I have the gift of crafting.  Susan from Momcrieff was our leader and she did a fantastic job organizing everything.

The main elements were Mod Podge and fabric which are two things I rarely have around the house and my first thought was, this could be interesting. I settled on a decoupage bird feeder planter but let me say arriving at the finish line was a huge challenge.

My focus became content with the idea Mod Podge and fabric, I forgot Susan also mentioned to incorporate something recycled.  This is where things fell apart because we’ve been downsizing and I’ve gotten rid of well…. just about everything and I didn’t want to go rummaging through thrift stores for inspiration.

For weeks, I kept walking through the house finding nothing to recycle and I didn’t think Robert’s empty coke cans would work with fabric or mod podge.  So a couple weeks ago when I decided to Spring into Gardening  I noticed this sad clay pot and then remembered I had additional pieces of terra cotta near the front of the house.

I found some hope and a couple days later decided to pull everything together in the form of a bird feeder for the garden.

Cutting Pieces of Fabric

I started outside by cutting pieces of fabric in square and rectangle shapes.  It was cold and windy so I ended up bringing the project indoors while complaining about the cold.

Robert was inside and said, “What Cha doing?”  I just kind of glared at him and said oh it’s a mod podge thing… ending with.. I really don’t know what I’m doing. He said, well here let me cut the fabric before you hurt yourself.  Apparently, I was cutting with the force; who knew messing with pieces of fabric could be so tedious?

Mod Podge the Planter

With Mod Podge simply apply with a paint brush, place your fabric on a clean surface and brush more over the top.  Mod Podge is like a glue and when it dries it shines offering a sealed crafty presentation and did you know it was a 1960’s invention from a woman’s garage?

As you can see my pot really didn’t have a plan and sanding would have been a smart first step that I skipped.  Instead one swatch was attached after the other incorporating a bit of this and that.  It was a “fly by the seat of my pants” kind of plan, a favorite quote from Pretty Women.

My focus was more on the bird feeder part of the project so I was trying to get the planter finished so I go to the workshop and cut wood.

Adding the Feeder Pots

This is when I got excited because there is just something about drilling wood and power tools that I enjoy way more than crafting.  This part of the project involved recycled wood, hardware and two clay pots.  I broke the bottom out of one pot which freaked me out because then I had to go with plan B… oh wait….  there was no plan B.

1. Choose a couple pieces of wood, the bottom piece should fit tight inside the pot.  Later we’ll secure that with small rocks and dirt.
  2. I took the second piece of wood and drilled them together in the shape of a T.
  3. The small pot was drilled to the top piece of wood using a screw and a bolt.
  4. Because I broke the bottom of the second pot I decided to stack them and fill with bird seed before heading to the garden.

Adding Details like Flowers and Sticks

Finishing touches included small plants tucked around the edges using additional dirt to secure everything. I found a broken saucer on the potting bench so I glued it back together and placed it under the planter.

Something was still missing and as I looked at my finished project I thought to myself…. I’m not a crafty…. this is not me….  Which means I almost chucked the whole thing.  But something stopped me as I looked into the pasture noticing our row of trees beginning to sprout new shades of green.

I grabbed my clippers and headed to the pasture where I cut a few branches for detail that was desperately necessary.   I thought… this project may not be my kind of thing but decided that was okay.  Sometimes it’s good to create out of your comfort zone and I think we can all agree I’m not crafty. But you know what?  The birds don’t care, they’ve been enjoying this new garden prop and that makes me smile.

The important thing is I didn’t give up and I let my surroundings bring it all together.  I’d like to invite you to check out my awesome blog friends and see what they did for Spring with Mod Podge, fabric and something recycled.

Create a DIY Decoupage Planter Birdfeeder for your garden

Momcrieff

To Work with My Hands

Hearth and Vine

At Home with Jemma

Farmhouse 40

The Kitchen Garten

Not a Trophy Wife

Spring Blogger Challenge. Mod Podge and fabric

Hi Carole,

This is super cute and I love that you patch worked the fabric like I did. I think that the pretty fabric with attract the birds and it looks so pretty too.
    Happy First Day of Spring!!
    Time to get out and get dirty. 🙂
    Patti

Well you must be right because I finished this middle of last week and I’ve already had to refill that feeder cup. It just kind of fits in the garden and the bird activity has been amazing around here.

Good Morning Miss Creative!
    Love, love this project and the whimsical fabric that just sings of Spring! What a fabulous addition to the garden, really dresses up this outdoor space and also adds interest. Lovely yard art as well as a bird-feeder/ planter!

Spring has sprung for sure. Lovely to work with you on this challenge!

Good Morning!! Okay I’l take creative but not crafty – LOL.
      The birds are loving it and this project does seem to fit well in this funky garden that I think may no longer be mine to work in. I may have some news!
      Happy Spring Sweet Friend!

3. HI Carole
    This turned out great! I am obsessed with bird feeder ideas! Love!

I like to welcome the birds in my garden so they help eat the bugs – we have so many down south and I recently got rid of my chickens so I need all the help I can get.

NOW I know what you had up your sleeve with that clay pot! 🙂 It’s fabulous, and yes, there will be one (or a few) in my garden this season – I love this! My light fixture bird feeder stays well-visited, and now that we have a good reputation in the the bird community, I want to have feeders all over the yard so they’ll be encouraged to stay even longer.
    Great project, as always! Happy spring to you, my friend!

Thanks Karen – this was a challenge for me but thankfully that pot saved me. There has been the most amazing bird activity around here and I love it. I even heard the bobwhite in the distance across the way in the neighbors field so they didn’t go to far. Love the bird help of eating bugs in the garden too. Happy Spring and sweetness!

5. Courtney says:

What a beautiful idea, Carole! This is definitely something I could include in our garden area.

Thanks Courtney – so nice to have you join us. This is a great project for kids too something fun they can put their own stamp on. Enjoy!

6. Amy says:

What a cute idea! I may have to make some herb planters with the patchwork look. When the Mod Podge dries, is it water resistant, or is this a project that would need to be kept out of the weather?

That would be cute and so far yes water resistant. Mod Podge also has a water resistant sealer.

It’s great that you are upcycling things that can be found around the house. You always do such a beautiful job.

8. Susan M. says:

I love this! It’s such a nice splash of color. There is nothing like outdoor projects in the spring! And, being from Wisconsin, I am very envious of the green growth you are already seeing there. We are still a while away : (.

Thanks Susan, this was a great challenge for me. Pushed me out of my comfort zone which is good. Lots of green here yes!! I love this time of year.

9. Hi Carole, Great job and I’m sure the birds are loving it! Blessings, Janet

10. Using the two pots makes it easy to lift the pot out to keep the seed dry when it rains, also makes it easy to fill, just dip the pot in the bag. I did have to read the instructions twice to see why you broke the pot, an accident, so I didn’t have to break my pot. I did glue my first piece of wood to my pot because I wanted a taller post for my feeder.

Gluing would work too – yes I couldn’t believe I broke that second pot and I like your idea, thanks for sharing. I had a red cardinal in the garden yesterday nose dived in looking for feed so I guess I need to fill up again. This is a fun project even though I kind of struggled a little. Thanks for stopping by to share Judy.