Easy Build $10 Bird Feeders

This month on the ten for 10 challenge I decided to use scrap wood and create extremely easy to build bird feeders.  I’m serious y’all this project includes steps that are lightning fast allowing you to create duplicate bird feeders for under $10 even if you don’t have scrap wood available.  Within minutes you’ll be hanging feeders outside and the best part the birds absolutely love them.

Supplies + Tools

To build new purchase the following items from any home improvement store.  Ribbon comes from your favorite craft store and make sure it’s something that makes you smile.  I went with a green shimmer because it reminded me of spring and the edibles can be purchased at any grocery store.

• One 8 ft. 2 x 2 board = $1.82 (untreated pine)
  • One 6 ft. Cedar Fence Board = $1.85
  • Screws = .10 each
  • Ribbon = will vary, mine was on sale for $2.00
  • Peanut Butter and Bird Seed = Prices vary depending on container size
  • A Saw, drill and scissors is necessary

Getting Started

1. Cut the 2 x 2 into different lengths, space from 1.5 ft. and under.
  2. Drill holes through one end for ribbon hanger.
  3. Cut cedar fence board into 5 inch pieces
  4. Connect the cedar to the 2 x 2 with a screw – first insert pilot holes, tutorial can be found here.
  5. Cut the ribbon and insert through the hole and tie off in a bow or knot for hanging.

Add Peanut Butter

When the feeder is assembled use a table knife to spread peanut butter around the base.  It’s kind of like frosting a cake but you don’t have to be detailed and if you like peanut butter make sure to have a spoon handy because that scent may crave a little hunger within.

Don’t forget Bird Seed

A few weeks ago, Home Depot was giving away bird seed so I used this sunflower seed blend for my project.  Any natural bird seed would work but I have to tell you the birds love this one. Simply sprinkle the seed onto the peanut butter and watch it stick or fall all over the place. Which means make sure to have a dish to catch the pieces that miss their destination.

When the feeders are finished display next to your favorite birdhouse or hang from a tree.  My plan was to sell mine at our farm stand but I failed to wrap them in plastic and the birds came by and ate them all up in no time.  I’m thinking I just may hang them in the garden because they’re just so cute!  These feeders would also make fun gifts for those friends who have everything.  We’re just keeping it simple and having fun!

Let’s see what these Other Blogs shared for $10

To Work With My Hands

At Home With Jemma

Bluesky Kitchen

Cottage at the Crossroads

Patina and Paint

Poofing the Pillows

The Purple Hydrangea

The Queen in Between

DIY Easy to Build Bird Feeders

1. Lisa says:

I’m almost certain we have all the necessary scraps to complete this project.

Great job. I love how your birdfeeder turned out.

Thank you – Love a project that comes together with stuff we already have. I’m trying to use up all our scrap wood before we have to move.

What a clever idea. I think this is something I could tackle.
    Thanks for the inspiration. We love watching the birds in our yard.

This would be a perfect build for you Patti – I wish I lived closer so I could teach you. The Birds devoured these in days!

3. Stacey says:

You amaze me Carol!! Birdhouses and bird feeders can be ridiculously expensive at the store. These are perfect and we can all find wood pieces to use. 🙂

I agree they are expensive – I’m just trying to use up the scrap wood around here but I have to tell you the birds really loved this one.

You know I love your projects and this one may be my new favorite! Your creativity is fabulous Carole and I am so thankful to be co-hosting the Brighten Workshop with YOU!

Thank you Jemma – I’m blessed to work with you too it’s going to be blast and I guarantee you will smile lots!
      SO these feeders are the best because the birds love them. I’m even thinking if you wrap just the feeder in celo and include a small package of bird seed, tie if all off with a ribbon they would make neat spring or Easter gifts for adults or kids. It’s a win win!

One of the boys’ friends told us last week that a 30# bag of bird seed could be found at Tractor Supply for $8! I’m going to check that out today and see what kind it might be. That would make a lot of feeders! 🙂 Our feeder stays pretty active, so I’ve planned to add a few more around the yard. This design is perfect. I’m sure I’ve got everything I’d need on hand, plus, the kids would love getting involved in this!
    Thanks for sharing, Carole! Pinning.

I need to reload those feeders and get them in the garden so the wild birds can also remember to come by and eat the bugs in there too. Missing all my birds almost purchased some ducks the other day..

6. Jan says:

Love the idea! Shouldn’t #3 be 5″ pieces of cedar not “Cut cedar fence board into .5 inch pieces” – 1/2″ pieces?

The thing is they don’t even need to be any specific size because it’s just for the birds to perch on. Thanks for pointing that out.

7. Tammy says:

I love bird house and bird feeders – these are so cute and inspirational! Gonna have to try this out. You are amazing!

8. Carol Lander says:

Carole, I’ve never made a project like this. We have lots of birds around because our yard backs up to a dry creek bed with lots of very tall trees. Now I feel bad that we’ve never thought about feeding them. I make have to try this project.

It’s a fun and easy project and they would look cute hanging from tree branches.

9. Kim says:

We have recently (since the kitties have passed – boo!) become very interested in our feathered friends. We love to watch them and feed them. I love this idea and I know just the guy to put it all together! 😉

Love watching birds too, their activity can be very inspiring.

10. We have lots and lots of birds that call our garden home so I need to put some of these feeders out for them! Thanks for the inexpensive idea using scrap lumber!

Love birds in my garden they help eat all our Texas bugs!! Glad you liked this one it’s fun and the birds really did devour it.

awesome feeder! I have never seen the peanut butter trick…I love it and love peanut butter. lovin this feeder, girl 🙂

Hey Jane!! You could probably use honey or maple syrup too. The peanut butter trick was something I came up with when making feeders with my kids years ago. Can’t even remember where but we covered pine cones in the PB and then rolled them in seed. Was fun!