Spring into Gardening

Our weather was pretty amazing last week so my goal was to plant the garden. Our last freeze is scheduled for March 16th and after reviewing the weather forecast I knew incorporating direct seed wouldn’t be a problem.  Temperatures in North Texas won’t be dropping below 35 until next Fall which is music to my ears. With that kind of news, I had this get up and go attitude wanting to spring into gardening so that’s what I did.

With my garden caddy in one hand and the seed box in the other I was destined to begin.  But then something happened I remembered it was just a few months ago that I decided to vacate the garden.  It almost felt like I forgot about this space and then this sudden urge to expand and move dirt filled the air, so that’s what I did.

Seeds did get planted but it was rather sporadic between bursts of energy. It felt wonderful to be so active and I’m thrilled I reacted on this urge. Springing into gardening even if I may not get to see the results felt amazing.

During the process, new ideas were bouncing all over the place and all I could think about was our land just a little further north of here.  Which made me realize I needed to plant this garden to impress and that’s what happened next, I was planting with a startle focus.

This space was created by using pieces of landscaping that were left in the quail sanctuary, I sure do miss those little birds…  I stacked them two high and filled the bed with natural elements and dirt. You can get all my fun dirt tips here. This rich soil came from the farm because when you have 4 acres you just don’t go out and buy more.

There were also these tires left over from an upcycled project a few years back.  You may think they appear tacky?  At  one time they were painted as adorable lady bugs so I’m thinking they may return to lady bugs once again.  I like to use tires for my zinnias, cosmos and sunflowers because they provide additional support keeping them from falling over during heavy winds.

You’ll notice these beds feed off one another which allowed for a fun pattern.  Everything is placed so it fits tight and when the grass grows back they will be very secure and easy to move if someone else isn’t interested in a garden of this size because the farm is up for sale.

In these beds, I planted sunflowers, cosmos and zinnias.  Those smaller perennials in front were transplants because they needed more space.

Over to the left was another area of inspiration that sprouted off the herb bed.  If you have the space to connect beds do this, it’s so much fun and it looks interesting instead lining up beds in rows. Connecting raised beds can also keep material expenses to a minimum which is helpful when beginning from scratch or expanding new spaces.

I planted zinnias, transplanted peppermint and added some purple basil and cucumbers.   I still have more planting to do and I’m pretty sure that will happen later this week. This space is going to be fun and full of startle in just a couple months and next week I’m taking that sad white pot and giving it new life.

If you haven’t had the opportunity to begin your spring gardening don’t worry because you have plenty of time to begin and if you’re stuck for ideas let me recommend my new book, Startle Garden.  This is a great book and will honestly help you grow your best garden.  Get it here.

Spring into Gardening by expanding your space with new raised beds. Get these tips!

Hi Carole,

What a fun new garden. I love that you made it adaptable for the new homeowners and that means you can still enjoy gardening in the interim. We don’t have a last frost until the end of May here in PA so the best I can do it start cleaning and pruning, weather permitting. We were supposed to receive many inches of snow today but it looks like we were spared.
    Have a great week!

Thank you Patti, sometimes I think I enjoy moving dirt and created new spaces more than the growing process. YOu must start seeds indoors then to get a jump start? I think if I had to wait for May for that last frost I would go stir crazy. I’m headed out there again later this week but today I’m getting offline after a little bit of marketing, leaving the camera behind and creating fun by making signs and birdhouses for my farm stand. I just need a break from everything. Have a Great Tuesday and thanks for stopping by.

I love how you’ve connected your beds – it really is more interesting, and when they’re full with lush growth this summer, they’ll be breathtaking. These are the gardens that make me just stare, trying to take it all in. You’ve got so much interest here with different elements, sizes, shapes, and colors. Simply awesome!

I love connecting beds makes for a great conversation piece and I agree they will look awesome once they begin to grow. I love different elements too and i do think those tires if I can fit it in will go back to being lady bugs.

Good Morning!
    You and I share the same love for those nostalgic, whimsical and and prolific flowers of times gone by, and such a great idea to use tires to support those long stemmed beauties.
    I planted some sunflowers over the weekend and I am thinking that I will plant them every couple of weeks in order to have continuous blooms.
    Your eye for detail shines beautifully in the design of your gardens, a showstopper for certain and of course an added bonus for those fortunate new homeowners!

Good Morning Jemma – I overslept!! I think we have a lot of same interests which is awesome! Oh and yes do continuous planting with those sunflowers I did that one year when I was growing for the local farm market and it was awesome. That would make a great post and include how they make a great sun block too. Basically you can use sunflowers to benefit your other plants. New homeowners would be sweet I’m really struggling being here right now because I feel done!! So Today I’m headed to the workshop to just build and create for the farm stand. Perhaps that will detour this feeling of done and if the weather holds I think a trip to the new property is in order later this week.

4. BonBon says:

I love your garden layout. So nice that you have weather that allows you to start gardening in March. Here in Southern Indiana we have to wait until Mid-Late May. Ugh!

Thank you – Lots going on in this space and I can hardly wait till it starts growing. I started early so hopefully I can enjoy a little bit of all this goodness. thanks for stopping by you know you could start seeds indoors – that would give you a jump start when May arrives.

5. mickie mclaughlin says:

I agree with Jemma…you sure have a great eye for detail. Now about the photo of the white pot sitting on a stool….I love that little surprise in your garden. Can’t wait to see what you put in it. BTW….I want to add that the photos in your Startle book are gorgeous. They sure did whet my appetite for getting in the garden SOON.

I do love detail it simply inspires me in a way that energizes my efforts. So that white pot will be reappearing on Monday.. Thank you for purchasing Startle Garden that book was fun to write and I’m getting ready to begin writing the companion to it. More details on that come Friday in the morning email. Enjoy a great day Mickie -always nice to hear from you!

6. Lady Locust says:

It looks great! I can hardly wait to get out and play in the dirt:)

So glad you took the initiative when the urge struck. It really feeds our energy, doesn’t it? The new owners will be so fortunate to inherit your property. Hoping for a smooth sale so that you can get started on the next phase.

Yes positive activity does feed our energy. I’m hoping for a spring sale – still kind of cool here with grey days so we shall see what transpires. I’m just so ready to move on.

I hear ya! Spring is a great time to start over!

8. Botanic Bleu says:

Carole,
    My sister planted herbs and different lettuces in pots on our deck the last week of February. They have grown so much she announced today the lettuce is ready for its first harvest. She also is nurturing some tomato plants waiting until it’s warm enough to plant in the vegetable garden.

I hope to get some new bedding annual flowers to add to the other pots on the deck.

Judith

Awesome Sister – I love fresh herbs and lettuce is a must. Sounds like you have a nice space to plant. Thanks for stopping by and hope life is good.

9. What a great garden idea! I love that it isn’t all even and zig zags.

10. Margie Myatt says:

Hi Carole,
    I spent some time this morning reading your posts about herbs and blackberries. Such good information! I enjoy reading your blog because I’m in North Texas too. We are off to a great start this year with most of our garden planted and some things in the greenhouse. I’m feeling like it’s going to be a wonderful garden year and I hope to expand my knowledge with your tutorials in collecting seeds and rooting plants. I hope the house sale moves swiftly so you can “move on” to your new property. When we bought our land we had to wait two years to make the permanent move. We spent weekends clearing the land and “getting to know” the property which proved helpful when it came time to build. In the meantime we did plant a veggie garden and got a trio of chickens we kept on the farm. We would go out on Wednesdays and back for the weekend on Fridays right after work. Is that a possibility for you? Margie

Hello Margie – I agree I have a good feeling about the gardening season this year and thank you for your kind words on the property. I know God has a plan and if the weather cooperates we may go out to that property next week. We shall see.. I’m thinking about doing an eBook on propagating….. I LOVE it!! I have 6 new rose bushes started from my main plant that are ready for the next property. It’s just such a good way to expand the garden. Looking forward to hearing from you again and thanks for taking the time to share today.

11. mickie mclaughlin says:

Thanks Carole for suggesting mail ordering this plant. Also, yes, I agree, something on propagating plants would be most interesting. Do you have a green house or shelter that you use while they are rooting, etc. I will be sowing some seeds today in pots for transplanting when weather warms up. I will have seed trays all over the place. ha ha It was 60 degrees here in Maryland yesterday, but when I got up this morning it is snowing like the dickens with 2 inches on the ground already. (unexpected snow) Now I love the beauty of snow when it is coming down, but I have already set my thinking to SPRING TIME. I spent some time walking around my one acre yesterday trying to see what “made it” thru the winter. It is always exciting to see the little green heads of plants emerging thru the soil. HUGS for you. mickie

I agree snow is pretty but at some point it needs to rest. So with my propagating I don’t have a greenhouse. I normally do this in the fall early spring and then let them ride out the process in a shaded, protected area under the trees. Sometimes if the weather gets bad I place them in one of my covered raised beds. This is one of my favorite gardening activities and I never use root hormone either. Just take it back to basics like grandma taught me and the results have been amazing. I also agree it’s exciting to see new green come alive after winter. The trees are sprouting new green here and the grass well it’s so green. All these different shades are so inspiring. Hope you enjoy a beautiful sunday, I’m headed outdoors to build something fun for an article for Grit magazine.