Tiny House in a Happy Camper

Choosing a Tiny House isn't always easy

When we started looking at Tiny Houses I was discouraged because they were small, like 200 square feet or the larger ones had poor layouts.  I wanted a house that made me feel like a happy camper; it didn’t seem like that was too much to ask for.

Frustration surfaced when we looked at the prices because they were ridiculous and the houses consisted of nothing. We finally came across a design that was comfortable, could be updated if we wanted and a few months later we found land.  That was a year ago and everything felt like it was falling into place. We closed on the land, the next step was to get the farm up for sale, sell it and buy our little house.

Loading the last of things for storage

Back then I was still removing stuff we didn’t want and boxing things up for storage, that story is here. I’m happy to report the last of everything we decided to keep will be going to storage in the next couple of days.  Downsizing is life changing!

During that time, Robert put together a plan for the homestead community that looked overwhelming until we organized each step.  It became clear this project was a huge undertaking and the last thing I needed to be doing was setting up and maintaining a new home.  This kind of made me a little sad but I had to be realistic, establishing an entire community is a large undertaking for two people.  Are we up for the challenge?   Of course!

Living in the RV for awhile

This is when reality struck like lightning and living in a Tiny House right away was placed on the back burner because we started considering moving into our RV.  Living in an RV was definitely tiny and would allow us to stay focused because there’s no distractions; cleaning the space takes less than 30 minutes. This wasn’t an easy decision and it came with a compromise because marriage is all about meeting each other halfway……

First I had to really process living in our RV because it’s smaller than the Tiny Houses we plan to purchase.  For weeks, I wondered if I could be a happy camper living so extreme; I couldn’t really answer if I would be happy which was a little scary. When we purchased the RV a couple years ago I found myself loving this thing for the following reasons.

• It’s simple
  • Easy to keep clean
  • When you close the door it’s like the rest of the world goes away.

Knowing those three simple things I decided I could be happy but we would also need a shed for a workshop and office space. This was an acceptable compromise because we already planned to put in a shed, so maybe it was me just really wrapping my brain around the concept and not really a compromise?

The RV Lifestyle to stay focused

It was settled, we decided living in the RV was acceptable and now I’m in the process of loading it with our stuff so it feels like home.  If we don’t like it then we’ll go back to our original plan and move into a Tiny House later but something tells me this will work just fine for the next year.

This entire get ready process has taken a great deal of preparation, thought and planning.  Sometimes it feels like I’m over thinking everything and Robert is just waiting patiently for me to make up my mind.  Course there may also be this other layer of me thinking, what will others think?  But I realized it doesn’t matter what others think because I’m tired of being a servant to the home.

When I look into our future I see a sense of freedom in the air and it’s amazing. There are so many things that Robert and I want to accomplish and the reality is there isn’t enough years for us to do them all.  By simplifying and narrowing our focus we can at least zero in on the things that are important and blessed by a greater wisdom than our own.

While Robert and I set up this community we’ll live in our RV and at some point, we’ll have to decide if we want to stay at this site before we settle into our very own Tiny Home.  When we come to that decision I’ve decided that after living in an RV a Tiny House will be like a major upgrade and what will I ever do with all that space?

It’s kind of like this, I did the house thing for 20+ years it’s now time for something new and it begins with me being a Happy Camper which will make Robert a Happy Camper too!

Tiny House in a Happy Camper

Hi Carole,

I think you are so smart. Of course, marriage is hard and compromise is the name of the game. Here’s what I think. You will be so busy that the time will fly by, and more importantly, as you live in the new community you are going to learn so much about what you want in a new home/tiny house, and what will work best. Wishing you and Robert the best in this exciting new adventure!!

Thank you Patti – I agree with everything you said and I know we’ll be busy Robert moves like the force and it’s all I can do to keep up. I decided this will give us time to really think about what we want our Tiny House to look like on the inside. With a small space you can really have fun with adding details. Thanks for your encouragement… needed that!!

2. Courtney says:

How exciting, Carole! I love reading the updates on how your tiny house community is progressing. My hubs and I enjoy all of the tiny house shows, and I must admit it seems intriguing to let go of “stuff” and simplify!

The process of letting go has been something and not sure if I could have done this when our family was still at home. Well I know I couldn’t have – getting rid of stuff yes but shrinking the home size… no way!! We homeschooled so space was good back then. I am ready for this after a year of cleaning out and can hardly wait to share this entire journey. Thanks for stopping by always nice to see your smiling face. Enjoyed the pictures of your daughter this week on social media – she’s like a mini Courtney.. Super cute!

3. Judy Stewart says:

I watch the tiny house shows and wonder why the buyers don’t look at campers. So much thought and ingenious design has already resulted in amazingly useful space in campers. And, campers are truly portable. I think you made a smart decision.

Thanks Judy – I think the thing about the Tiny House is you can personalize it better than an RV. I’m just guessing I know for me the RV will be great short term but not so sure if I can do it long term.

1. Judy stewart says:

That makes sense. I might feel the same way about a tiny house too. It does sound like an adventure.

4. Lori vaders says:

Love it Carole!!

Thanks – it’s going to be fun!

Love your thought process on this. I know that Tracey, over at Our Simple Homestead, also lived in her camper for a couple of years while her house was built, so it’s doable!
    Just think of all the time you’ll have for projects, with no big house to clean. What an adventure.
    Do you have a plan for storm season? It’s important to think about that ahead of time, especially in Texas. Just want you to be prepared, girl.

I’m so looking forward to tagging along on your adventure. Wishing the best for you, as always! Blessings!

Hello Daisy – Time is the big thing here and staying focused is key. Have no desire to ever do the traditional house thing again… We will get into a Tiny House eventually just really need to figure out if we will stay at this property first. Storm season is interesting and that’s one thing I love about this entire property is outlined with trees where most storms fall on open spaces. We are looking at storm shelters but after reading some horror stories I’m not sure you can always outsmart a storm. We don’t have one at our current farm and never did at any of our other locations so I’m kind of not sure what we’ll do.

2. Oh my…I don’t know how I missed this! You can do it I know you can. We lived in our camper for two years while we built our homestead and we did fine.
      The whole process of downsizing was freeing and we are about ready to face it again. My hubbys job is changing so life may end up back in a camper again and I’m not anxious about it at all, I’m actually looking forward to downsizing again and writing a new chapter of this book we call life. I can’t wait to see how your first few months go and reach out to me if you need a few words of encouragement to get over any rough spots.

Hey Tracy – we’re listing our farm with a realtor today so I spent most of yesterday moving the rest of our stuff in the RV. So far I’m loving it. I remain on the farm until we close and then the adventure begins. I think I’ll be fine because we spend most of our time outdoors. Living in the RV while we set up this community seemed to make sense with all that we have to focus on. Downsizing has been incredible and I’m finding I could do much less. I will definitely reach out, thanks for sharing this really helps because sometimes it gets a little lonely being that person who lives much different than the rest of the world…

6. What a bright and exciting future Carole! It sounds as if you are approaching the process in a thoughtful and smart manner. It will be such fun to follow your journey.

We’re excited and even picked out our shed today after enjoying a hike only to discover an awesome river. Perhaps another property purchase is in the near future too.

Hi Carole, this is so exciting and I can’t wait for it all to unfold! We lived in our cabin for a couple years and though it is still bigger than your camper(600sq)it is a lot smaller than most homes and we loved it! You’ll be busy and you’re always outside!

enjoy your journey, xo

Thank you Jane – we’re looking forward to moving forward.. I’m finding patience is a mysterious thing. This week I’ve been setting up the RV and realizing I couldn’t be more excited about living in a small space. We even made room for Dixie. You’re right we’re outside about 75% of the time which is the best!

8. Wow Carole, I can’t imagine processing through all this! I think the RV is a brilliant step as you’re making this huge change. I admire you for knowing your priorities and pursuing them. And I’ll think of you this summer everytime we go camping in our little trailer! 😉

Hello Meredith – it has been quite the process and the elimination of stuff was quite the process as well -took me a year but it was all good. However I would have never considered this if our kids were still at home. For just the two of us though it’s all good. But I will say I can hardly wait to move into a very simple tiny house after we finish this community.

9. Melissa Zieleniewski says:

I’m so excited for you Carole! You are living my dream. 🙂 My favorite part of this post is, “I’m tired of being a servant to the home.”
    Amen to that!!

I tell my husband all the time, I could live in an RV. I can’t wait to be rid of all my things and have less stuff. Life is an adventure and surely we were not meant to be tied to a bunch of physical things to care for. People and living in the moment are where it’s at!

Hey Melissa – I just put the last of a few things in storage today. I really do like our RV one of the best purchases we’ve ever made. The Servant to the Home – awe yes so tired of it.. I’m still at the farm basically house sitting and up keeping the outdoors. Under contract but I don’t think our close date is going to happen. Which is frustrating but not the end of the world either because I know God has a plan..

10. Cheryl says:

Love, love, LOVE this post, Carole! God bless you in your endeavors!

Thank you Cheryl – hope life is good in your neck of the woods.

11. HI Carole
    What an amazing adventure and great idea to devote an entire “tab” for the process. How exciting! I’m not there yet, but I am ready to downsize when my youngest leaves for school in two years.
    laura