Copper Canning Lid Garden Markers

Fun DIY Copper Canning lid Garden Markers

Things have come to what feels like a screaming halt at the farm and my gardening efforts have been more about maintaining and keeping things clean between property viewings.  Just yesterday I found myself pulling weeds in the fall beds and wondering if I should be thinking about planting.

Fall gardening is my favorite growing season, so instead of going through the seed box I decided to make new garden markers. I wanted to create something that incorporated copper and was easy to make.

At first the ideas were slim until one afternoon during workshop clean up I came across chalk paint and canning lids. It seemed like a direction was established so I decided to make garden markers instead of wondering if I should plan a fall garden.

Easy to Make Garden Markers

This was an easy project and halfway through the process I realized using chalk stickers would have been a lot faster than paint.  So, if you’re wanting to duplicate and have to purchase new supplies let me recommend the stickers. In the past, I’ve used them here.

In the meantime, the only tools you’ll need is a drill + bit and wire cutters.  The rest of our supplies can be found at any craft or home improvement store and canning lids are going to be at your local farm store or Walmart.

Project Supplies

• Canning Lids
  • Chalk Paint and Brush (Chalk label stickers)
  • Copper wire
  • Chalk or White Paint Marker

DIY Copper Garden Marker Supplies

Drill and Paint the Lids

The first thing is to drill the canning lids; this is for the copper hanger.  After this step is completed paint the top of each piece with chalkboard paint following the directions on the container.  I used three coats and found myself transplanting plants while each application was drying.

I seem to do a lot of multi task activity lately and I’m not sure that’s a good thing because I get easily distracted.  Do you multi task during projects?

Chalk Copper Garden Markers

Label and add the Copper wire

Once the lids are dry I labeled each one using a white paint pen, I couldn’t find my chalk so it seemed like a good second choice.  It dries really fast which allowed me enough time to get the wire cut for each marker.

I cut each stem around 9 inches but you can make them short or long as preferred.  Just allow enough leftover to make circular twists to hold the labels in place.

DIY Garden Markers

Attaching the Labels

The final step was to attach the painted lids to the copper from the top by sliding them in place.  They hang rather loose without falling off and those twists link everything together.

This was a really easy project and honestly the longest part was waiting for that paint to dry. So, if want to speed up this process just go for the stickers and make sure you purchase a brand that compliments outdoor weather conditions.

Make your own Garden Markers

After completing, I gather them and walked towards the garden where I passed the painted green Terra cotta pots. These pots happen to be one of my favorite projects and reminded me of a chapter in my book Startle Garden, where I talk about adding garden flair.   I stopped and decided to take my photos here.

Planting areas are a reflection of our personality and they come in all shapes and sizes.  When you incorporate a little flair, those details add interest and many times, this step is over looked or sometimes can also go too far.  I like to keep things simple by using little bits of white enamelware or by making stenciled signs but lately I’ve been thinking about copper elements.

These garden markers kind of kicked off that copper inspiration in a small way and eventually they did make it to the garden after I took pictures. That little moment prior got me thinking you could take this same project and turn these markers into positive messages.

So, “How would you do this?” It’s very simple just display positive words like, Live, Love, Peace, Joy, and Happy instead of writing plant names then place them in pots here and there.  The possibilities are endless…

I guess what we discovered today is this project could be made for new garden markers to label plants or positive garden notes; most important have fun with it!!

DIY Copper Canning Lid Garden Markers

Good Morning Carole!
    These are precious and so versatile! I have been making some creations out of copper wire too and I love it!
    Wishing you blessed and beautiful weekend!
    We have sun:)

Yes beautiful sun, I was out mowing this morning and we can add intense humidity too. Would be even better if it came with an ocean attached. Lol..
      Look forward to seeing what you do with copper it’s a fun element and I never get tired of incorporating it.
      Joy for the weekend!

Carole

2. mickie mclaughlin says:

Loved today’s post. Your ideas seem to arrive in my inbox just as I am thinking of doing “something” to change up my gardens. ha ha The jar lid idea is perfect for my use. I have been wanting to make markers for my perennials as I forget what is planted where, etc. You mentioned chalk labels—where can I find them?

I also like the ragged paint job on the pots. I recently bought spray paint to “update” my pots, but haven’t gotten the job done yet and now I am so glad I didn’t get around to doing this earlier. Love your idea better than using plain ole one color spray paint, so am now motivated to try this.

I WILL NEVER GET THIS HOUSE WORK DONE . ha ha

Have a super joy filled day Carole. mickie

Thank you Mickie – Well I’m glad I could help and I tell ya these were necessary for me because remembering what I plant has become difficult. Those labels you can get at Hobby Lobby or Michael’s. I’m sure any craft store would have them check in the sticker aisle or around there. Those rag painted pots are so much fun – Make them you will love the process. I posted them on Hometalk and one of their readers tried it on plastic pots and said it worked great. Looked great from her picture too. House work is overrated… LOL Looks like you now have some fun projects for the weekend. Nice to hear from you and hope you grab some joy too! -Carole

Hi Carole,

Love this idea. So fun and versatile and affordable. You could reuse them too, and you know how much I love copper.
    I have all of these items at home several lids I’ve hoarded from another project so I can’t wait to try it.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

Look forward to what you come up with. Lots you could do here.

I love this! I still haven’t added flair to my startle gardens and this may be exactly what I need. The tomatoes have long since overgrown the bounds and before I got around to adding proper support, they decided to hitch a ride along the cucumber trellis or just bend over the front edge – which creates a challenge for my grass cutter. Summer just seemed to take over before I was fully prepared.
    These markers are fantastic and I love the idea of adding inspiring words. I may even add some to a few flower beds too – lots of possibilities. Thanks for sharing!

Good Morning Karen,
      Been wondering what you’ve been up too. We’ve had so much rain the garden is out of control. Right now it’s my fall beds that look clean and crisp because they only have dirt. So looking forward to having a smaller garden, one that is focused and bouncing with simple flair. Glad you liked this project it was a fun one and I do think the stickers is the way to go. Have a great weekend – Carole

5. Jennifer says:

OMG, Carol, these are adorable! So creative. I’m definitely going to make some.

Awesome – Glad you like them! Simple, easy and fun it’s a combo that works!

6. HI Carole
    I love these markers. I have the chalkboard mason jar size labels and love them! I need to get me some copper wire.
    What section is it in at the home stores? laura

Hey Laura – In Home Depot that wire can be found up front in the electrical area – it’s on a carousel with a bunch of other wire.

Love these, Carole! I’ve made them before with the lids, but never thought to paint them with chalkboard paint. So creative.

So glad you like them they were a fun project and you know me and copper.. Just kind of my trademark I guess…

super cute, Carole & you know I love the copper!

9. Suzanne says:

How does the chalk pen words hold up in the rain? Does the chalk run or does it stay on?

Fantastic which I have to say really surprised me. I liked the pen much better because it didn’t run at all.. Regular chalk would lighten in the rain but would probably still leave behind an imprint.