Beautiful Coral Drift Roses

Beautiful Coral Drift Rose

I’ve always been a fan of roses and when we moved to the farm I purchased many varieties but the ones that turned out to be my favorite were the bush tea rose varieties.  You want to know why?  Well I’ll tell you, it’s because they’re super easy to care for and they bloom about 9 months out of the year.

Which brings me to the beautiful Coral Drift Rose, I purchased at Lowes 6 years ago in a 6-gallon container.  I was attracted to the color and at the time could have cared less about the variety.  To be honest I don’t get hung up on variation of roses, for me it’s all about color and many times the scent.

With the coral drift, it was all about color and their beautiful greenery.  At the time, I was seeking something unique that didn’t fall into the traditional category of pink, red or yellow and was also easy to care for.  This was a perfect choice; watching this little bush turn into a huge shrub I realized I didn’t anticipate explosive growth when I transplanted into this space.

Since then I’ve propagated into additional plants and scattered them around the farm, shared with friends, sold on the farm stand and some will be going with us to the new land.

Enjoy this Beautiful Coral Drift Rose

What I love most about this rose

This rose exceeded my expectations which I love. From the beginning, its outstanding growth blew me away along with a few other perks:

• Super easy to care and its drought resistant.
  • Blooms 9 months a year.
  • Winter hardy.
  • Fast growing and low maintenance.
  • Disease resistant too!
  • The honey bees love it.
  • Super easy to propagate, get my how to here.

Coral Drift Rose

Ground Cover or Shrub?

It’s referred to as a ground cover rose, but for me it only really appeared that way when it’s a young plant, those first couple of years.  Maybe because I let mine grow wild, I noticed more of a shrub appearance.  Some gardeners refer to ground cover as a shrub so maybe I’m not completely off base.  Regardless this beauty filled in blank areas rather quickly and for that I was thankful.

I recently found the original plant label in my garden book and after reading a little more I really think it was the direct compost and animal fertilizer that prompted amazing growth.

Regardless it doesn’t matter because I’m thinking about digging up this main plant and taking it with us when we move.  Have no fear I’ll replace it with something else…  Little details, Robert said, “Do what?” I may have to sneak it out…

Can you grow Coral Drift Roses

Can you Plant the Coral Drift?

This rose is welcome to planting zones 4 – 10 so yes almost anyone can plant and enjoy this beauty.  The following tips are things to consider before diving in and remember well fertilized soil with good drainage is the key for growing healthy roses.

• Mild to Full sun – planted mine in full sun.
  • Plant Spacing 2 ft. and will grow up about 2 ft – my main plant is more like 3.5 ft.
  • Spreads out to 36 inches which is correct.
  • Very durable and can be purchased online or in the spring at most local nurseries.

Drift roses also come in a variety of colors so this easy to care for rose may be just what you’re looking for to fill in existing or new gardens.

Another pretty rose that’s easy to grow and care for is the Knock Out, I have one of those but I don’t like it as much as the Drift, I may share that later…  Has the Drift rose sparked some inspiration?  I sure hope so and if not tell me this, “What’s your favorite rose variety to grow?”

Add the Beautiful Coral Drift Rose to your garden

Sparked inspiration? Oh my yes! I have already added this drift rose to my “need to get” list for next spring lol. We also choose roses based on color and fragrance. One of our very favorites is a Joseph’s Coat rose. It’s color changes from yellow to red to orange and smells delicious! We have several red and pink knock out roses, and they are beautiful as well. Thanks for posting about this drift rose in coral. I’m excited!

Yes all that color sparked inspiration for this post… Never thought about sharing it on the blog until recently but many times this variety gets confused with the Knock outs…. You will love them, I hope to get a few more cuttings this week.. Glad you were inspired and it comes in a variety of colors..

Love Drift Roses, we have the red ones in our front flower beds and of course the one you gave me is in the garden.
    I am enjoying their muted pink and red blooms and of course the bees do too!
    Have a great day Carole, heading out for my 5 mile walk now.
    Hugs

Drift roses have that sweet simple yet very small bloom that speaks volumes. Glad you’re enjoying that cutting.

3. It’s beautiful! I’ll be looking for this one. I have an approximately 50′ x 75′ space turned over for the new perennial garden. I’m starting most of the plants from seed and will make this a labor of love since it will take a lot of years to fill the space, but this one I’m willing to buy if I can find it. Thanks for sharing the information. Knowing the zone clinched it for me.

Hey Robin that space sounds fantastic I’d love to see pictures once you get it going. Look online for this one and you should be fine with getting just one because it grows pretty fast, I’m in North Texas… Also really easy to propagate too so you could have a lot of fun with it Thanks for sharing!
      Carole

4. mickie mclaughlin says:

Carole love this little rose…..how big does it get. I have not heard of drift roses…just the knockout ones. This is a great color.

You mentioned that you may dig it up and take it with you when you move. I have been wondering how to “dig up and move” an older rose. I have a lovely baby pink David Austin Rose that smells just like baby powder, but alas it is not getting enough sun where it is planted as the nearby trees have now grown up so large and are shading the area where it is planted. Is there any way to safely move this ole girl to a better location.

Hello Mickie -My largest plant the one I propagate from is about 3 ft.. It’s suppose to only grow 2 ft but I also have mine in direct sunlight. Anyways it’s a nice addition and the blooms are much smaller than the knock outs. I may dig up that main plant before we move, it just really depends on the temperatures when that time comes. Transplanting existing plants can be tricky and sometimes there is a wilt phase if the roots experience damage or if it’s warm outside.

So here is what I do, this time of year I wait for a cold front and go after it in the evening. Make sure the new area is already prepped and ready for it’s arrival. Dig outside the plant, basically a deep/far circle around the base. Once it’s released then I immediately soak the roots in water before taking it to the new location for about 10 minutes. If the root system was undisturbed you can probably skip that step.

Then I place it in the new location, water, cover with dirt and mulch. Depending on the size of the rose bush you may want to trim it a couple weeks prior so it’s less difficult to handle. There’s a lot of digging involved and I really recommend an evening transplant so the plant can relax during those cooler temperatures and regroup. This can be stressful for plants especially this time of year and if the leafs wilt just keep caring for that plant, they’ll dry and fall off and then they sprout an entire new crop. (Learned from experience) Might be better to wait until September.

Anyways this is something my grandma and I did together all the time. I use to tell her she moved plants like she moved furniture and she just laughed…. Now I’m doing it and Robert laughs… Hope that was helpful… Carole

Hi Carole,

Definitely take it with you. I wish I would have said something to the buyers of one of our homes because I had many, many beautiful plants which they promptly covered with rocks. 🙁

It kills me to this day. So, you never know, they may not even want your beautiful rose bush.

I think I will, I really love this variety it’s the sweetest…. The blooms are like the size of a fingernail. We had a cold front come through last night… 72 degrees…. so I did some re potting and transplanting and replaced one of those roses with lavender… It’s that big one that I really want… but I think it may take some serious gusto to get it out of the ground…and another cold front….. So I guess in the meantime, I need to find me a container because I don’t think the 5 gallons containers I’m using will work… Thanks needed some encouragement.. Oh and I checked the weather…. Lots of Rain next week… So we shall see if I can spring it free…