Bird Seed Christmas Ornaments

Bird seed ornaments

Did you enjoy last week’s Bird Friendly Christmas Tree?  Well I took things a step further and created these wood slab ornaments and the birds love them.  This project is so simple and compliments January’s workshop perfectly.  Details here.

I also realize Christmas is days away and who really has time to make another craft? Well book mark this one, these ornaments can be made after Christmas because the birds will always be hungry this time of year and would enjoy a little treat like this.

Wood Slab bases for Ornaments

Bird Seed Ornament Materials

• Wood Slabs, cut your own or purchase at a craft store
  • Drill and bit
  • Ribbon and scissors
  • Peanut butter and bird Seed

Putting together the Bird Seed Ornament

Ornament Assembly is Easy!

Once the slabs are cut or purchased we reach the fun part of this project as it comes together rather quickly.  Follow each of the steps and then hang on a standing tree for the birds to enjoy.

1. Drill holes in the top of each slab
  2. Thread with your favorite ribbon
  3. Smear the front of one side with peanut butter (or both sides)
  4. Cover PB with Bird Seed

Bird Seed Ornaments that are easy to make

Look at them, aren’t they cute?  This activity is so fun and comes together with little effort. This is also a neat one to keep the kids busy and in the process, explain why feeding the birds during the cold months like winter is a great idea.

It goes like this, winter temperatures that welcome snow and ice cut off natural food supplies that can cause bird starvation in high volumes. Backyard bird feeding contributes to their survival and helps them thrive during these months.  It also reminds them to come back when it’s warm to help eat the garden bugs from spring through fall.

This rounds up my Christmas fun for 2017

Enjoy the Season – Merry Christmas Friends!

Bird Seed Christmas Ornaments

So clever. I love those little wood rounds and you have so much material to work with. Very smart.
    I’m making some homemade suet for the birds and once it stays cold enough will put it out for all our feathered friends.
    Merry Christmas to you and Robert. ♥

Thank you -those slabs were just sitting on my work bench when inspiration sparked shortly after I put together that Bird Friendly Tree. Think I may include them in my January Workshop as a bonus because they’re just fun. Love feeding the birds, it’s just fun and the activity here grows. We even have an owl that sits outside our RV in the trees, Dixie isn’t that fond of it and I probably won’t be either once I start raising quail again. Merry Christmas to you and your family too – Enjoy!

This reminds me of fond memories – homeschool day camp when my oldest boys were young…we made similar feeders from pine cones. The boys loved them and the birds were happy too.
    I love the cut limb slab version you made – it’s so festive and accents your strung cranberries beautifully! Lucky birds that live at your place!
    Merry Christmas, sweet friend!

Oh yes the kids and I use to make similar feeders with pine cones when they were younger. Was fun and kept them busy in addition to teaching compassion for God’s creations. These are fun and Dixie likes them too, LOL

This was just so easy and yes very festive with that garland. Blake should be arriving this evening – Raining here but I see sunshine in the forecast later this week. Merry Christmas to you too sweetie – enjoy and I do believe 2018 is the year we’ll meet.

We are thinking along the same lines. I’m doing a post tomorrow about homemade suet. I love these feeders and I think I will get brave and use a saw-zall (sp) to cut some branches into rounds like this. So cute and festive! Thanks for the inspiration!

Hey Daisy – Sounds fun! I’ve been out and about with our son and hubby today. He came home for Christmas which is neat and I’m so glad I decided to decorate outdoors for the birds. Just made sense and really helped keep things simple. Merry Christmas!

4. I’ve seen a lot of bird seed ornaments but never ‘glued’ on to little rounds of wood. Brilliant!

Yes the peanut butter trick works perfectly. Glad you like it and hope your Christmas is wonderful.