How to Install a Tiny Wood Stove

I believe every tiny house begins with a story, some are personal where others are simple.  Our Tiny Home story begins with installing a wood stove because the shed is cold right now and it needs heat.

For weeks Robert has been telling me we should get a wood stove so we can begin transforming the shed into our Tiny Home.  I just kind of smiled saying, “Can’t we do this after Christmas?” Blake was here, it was cold and the idea of another unfinished project was more than I could embrace at the moment.

The shed was moved over Christmas and I was still getting use to the new location, but here’s the thing the cold was getting to us and the shed doesn’t have a heat source, which means a wood stove really was a great place to begin.

This new project led us to our favorite store, Fix and Feed in Commerce, Texas. This place is smaller than traditional box stores but it carries everything, it’s organized and the customer service is incredible. It’s common to be asked at least 5 times if you need help which is another reason why we keep coming back.

We left there with a new wood stove, the piping and additional things for more projects… The projects never end and wait till I walk you through this one, Robert had this stove install finished in an hour.

Floor Plate form for the wood stove

Installing Wood Stove Begins with the Floor

The shed is new, we purchased it in town in the fall, view here. It’s basically framed in so installing a wood stove would be a breeze, but I didn’t realize it was going to be a quick breeze.  Maybe Robert just works really fast?

We already had mounting stones so he brought six inside and placed the stove on top. I wasn’t too sure I liked this plan but it works for now. I have a  idea for later that will transform those stones into a “How did you do that moment” for now they just look like this.

Additional wood stove floor options would include floor mats, tile and brick.  I hear vinyl flooring is also acceptable; these are things to research ahead of time if your installing a wood stove in your existing or new home.

Wood stove connection with pipe to outside of building

Next Up – Cutting through the Frame to Add Chimney Pipe

A list of tools was necessary and let me add this project wasn’t planned out and I really had no idea he wanted to insert the stove the same day we purchased. Crazy I know!

Depending on the wall your cutting through you may need to use additional tools to complete your wood stove install.

1. Jig Saw
  2. Drill
  3. Marker
  4. Screw driver

Installation began with Robert lining up the Chimney to the wall after connecting the first pipe to the stove.  Tighten the connection with screws then he drew a circle on the wall where the pipe would lead outdoors.

This is where I got a little nervous because a hole in the building, well that never sounds good.  He drilled between the frame so this step really was a breeze and he opened the cutting position using a drill.  Once the whole was made then he used a jig saw and cut the circle.

It wasn’t a perfect circle but it worked and before I got these pictures he was already outside adding the pipe covering.

Connecting wood stove pipe to the outside of building

Making Sure It Fits

The pipe fit through the hole which was a big “High Five” moment even though there were gaps.  This was expected and it comes with a solution in just a moment.

Adding the Smoke Stack Covering

I’m not really sure what you call this metal piece, I think it’s referred to as a vacu stack cover? – It reminds me of something you’d see off a smoke house so that’s why I’m calling it, a Smoke Stack Cover.

Anyways I thought it was cute because the shed roof is metal and they match, this piece just snaps right on.

Closing off gaps with high temperature sealant

Closing Gaps with High Temp Sealant

Remember those gaps? Robert used high temperature sealant and will then cover with a fitted metal piece that presses flat against the wall.

The install was completed in an hour and the following day he was out there warming up the shed with firewood in hand.

This was an affordable project; the stove was $250 and everything else including tax left us under the $400 price range.  A pretty simple investment for long term results is something you can’t pass up.  These wood stoves are perfect for heating up Tiny Houses but would also be good for warming up any work shed.

I’m told the next Tiny House project involves wire, insulation and wall covering. I may have a finished office space before spring, I’ll keep you posted.

Update on Install

Since this install we changed up a few things and a reader pointed out adding a DuraVent.   I really appreciated this suggestion because we haven’t been able to find one until she shared this link here.

We also included additional exterior pipe and eventually we’ll finish those walls.  For now this building is just our shed and we don’t use the stove that often so it’s good to go.

When it’s completely done we’ll be sure to share the end result.

How to Install a Wood Stove

Hi Carole,

This is super interesting. I know that you and Robert are going to be a big help to many out there who want to diy in their home. My sister used to have a “Mountain House” in Seven Springs which is a skiing resort in the Laurel Mountains near us. They had one of a similar items for heating in the area between the kitchen and living room and it was so nice. Not only did it all a ton of heat, but it looked great too, just like yours. Using it for cooking is a third benefit. Perfect for a tiny house.

Yes I’m liking it and honestly the cooking on top feature didn’t hit me until we got it home. At some point I’ll be on the search for a cast iron tea pot and fry pan. It’s been a nice addition and it’s possible I could be wrapping my brain around the idea of actually living in there some day…

I love that this project was so quick! I presume you can cook on top of the stove? I love things with more than one purpose.
    Great job, Robert!

Good Morning Daisy – quick projects are great!! Yes you can cook on top of it a bonus feature I didn’t realize until we brought it home. I also love dual purpose items especially when living Tiny.

I’m glad you got some warmth added to your shed. These extreme temperatures for our part of the country are definitely not the norm – and a really chilly start to our new year. It’s really neat that you can cook on the surface too – perfect for stewing up some of your delicious garden bounty!

yes those cook burners are a nice bonus. My Nana had a wood stove in her house – like an actual standing stove with a large cook top and oven heated with wood. Anyways as a kid it always fascinated me and by the time I rolled around she only used it to heat up the kitchen. Neat memories… Today we’re in the 50’s so the warmth is a nice change of pace.

4. laura says:

HI Carole!
    I love this! We live in the suburbs in CO and we can’t have wood burning fireplaces. Is that crazy or what? I wonder if they can be purchased in gas mode? Love it. looks like things are going well! laura

I’m loving it too and CO does have some crazy laws, like you can’t collect rain water but you can smoke pot. Anyways you should come to Texas I just happen to have 27 acre lots to pick from all under a 100K and they come with a Tiny House…. LOL Colorado is beautiful but I could never live there again, too many ridiculous rules.

1. laura says:

Hi Carole

Too funny! I didn’t realize you lived in Co before. And, I love your observation about the rain water, wood burning fireplaces but you can smoke and carry an ounce of pot. Crazy! It’s a good thing the weather is great with no humidity! I just ran the details on your lots past husband… how long of a drive is from south of Denver? ha! laura

love this little stove and oh the heat and smell…and you can make a pot of coffee or tea!

I love it too – it’s just perfect and being able to cook on top is an added bonus. I’m finally getting excited about turning this shed into a Tiny House.

6. This stove is adorable! I bet it really heats up the space. I thought of you the other day when we were researching garden sheds. My kids want us to buy one just so they can live in it!

It does heat things up – we’re using this shed for the tools right now but eventually it will get transitioned into a Tiny House.. Every is a process! So here is a shed you might like and your girls have the right idea. Tiny living – really…. I LOVE it.

7. Robin Lambert says:

I think the only thing I would add is a piece of concrete board on the wall behind the stove. with an area of about 1-1 1/2 of space between the wall and the concrete board. Keeps your wall with all the nails cooler and less chance of fire. I learned one thing by watching my hubby install a few of these over the years. If you have nails in your walls close enough to the stove they can get hot enough to catch the wall on fire.

Hello Robin – We’re still trying to figure out what to do with that back wall, I’ve seen some idea ideas online and what I really like is that old brick look mixed with a cabin feel so I guess time will tell. Great ideas and will keep them in mind.

1. Robin Lambert says:

We had to follow our county building codes. Some counties have regulation some don’t. But safety is the forefront!