Four Raised Bed Garden Ideas

Raised Bed Ideas for any Garden

We’re taking a look at four raised bed garden ideas; each one is placed in designated areas.  This is very different from my space at the farm and it took some getting used to.  The reason for spreading things out was to create focal points and present ideas.

Kind of like plugs of inspiration to view when others drive or walk by, I guess you could say our place will be the example of a fun homestead property.

Each garden is unique and has a different function; It’s my hope one day I can take all these concepts and place them in a squared off fenced area to enjoy.

Startle Garden Setting

Garden #1, Herb/Berry Startle Garden

Getting the new gardens ready for planting has been challenging; it feels like I’ve been prepping for months.

This was the first garden, it’s a nice Startle Garden for herbs and a few berry plants; in another two months it’s going to look even better. You might remember I propagated my herbs from the farm; they all survived with the exception of the Lemon Balm.

As of right now this is probably my favorite space because it’s producing and my soil prep was right on track.

We’ll revisit this space after it’s had a chance to really begin producing and it’s nice and lush.

Quail Raised Bed Concept

Garden #2 The Quail Garden

The Quail garden carries on that same startle garden concept but this time with 8 ft beds and the width is under 2 ft.  There will be three raised beds in this set up and they’re almost filled just waiting on me to finish the job.

This space has been dealing with a lot of setbacks due to rainy weather.  The next step here is to plant the beds then fill in the ground with dirt so I can also plant new grass. All this while getting it framed and wired; I might have to work on this project in my sleep.

Flower Beds For Garden Number 4

Garden #3 The Flower Beds

This is another area that sits right in front of our future Tiny House.  This space took a hard hit when we had rain for two weeks straight.  This gave Robert the idea to raise the ground so he’s been moving soil and later that turned into a new bridge project.

Which brings me to these boards… These were pulled up from our first bridge and I didn’t dare waste the wood so we cut, drilled and stained turning them into raised beds.

I did a stacking set up similar to Garden #1 making this another example of a Startle Garden concept.  This space will be where I plant cut flowers and it’s possible I may sneak in a new Lemon Balm plant.

The clean up after all that rain really slowed things down…  But with each day we’re making progress and things are starting to take shape.

Blackberry raised beds with Trellis

Garden #4 – The Blackberry Beds

Here we have the 2 x 8 ft. blackberry beds and I finally got them all built, stained, filled and planted; I’m happy to report the vines are doing great.  Additional trellis bars will be added in April or May once the vines mature. This space will also work like a privacy wall as these beds sit right behind the RV which stays parked until we get another piece of land.

With all four set ups I can say there really isn’t a favorite because they all complement perfectly and each concept is a neat example for gardeners seeking to grow all types of things.

Raised beds are a win, win and my favorite way to garden. I’m able to move forward with other projects because my hours of maintenance are decreased; this makes me happy because as much as I love gardening I don’t like it to consume my life.

Blackberries Took Root

To find these projects and more visit the raised bed category here. This link is loaded with ideas and things that I’ve incorporated at the farm and here at Quail Grove.

How’s your garden projects coming along?  Are you just getting started or are you ready to put seeds in the ground?

Four Raised Bed Garden Ideas

It all looks fantastic! Looking forward to watching your gardens grow. I’m still in the process of planning the garden layout, but have some seedlings started and working on small projects too. Enjoy your weekend!

Good Morning Daisy – so glad you like what we’re doing here. I really wanted everything in one area but it just didn’t seem like a good idea with what we’re trying to do here. We rescued sheep last night so this weekend we have a make and take workshop and need to hopefully find their home. Need to buzz over and see what you’ve been up to.

Well, we had 5 inches of snow here on Wednesday, suffice it to say I haven’t been doing much outside yet. Next week is supposed to be warmer so I plan on getting out and removing all the winter debris and prune. I love all your raised beds and especially can’t wait to see your cut flower section in full bloom.

I wondered if you were in that trail of snow, see now if you lived in Texas you would be outside right now enjoying the warmth. Little bribe there! I’m really liking these raised beds too, really wish they were all together so it will be interesting how long it will take me to actually water during the hot months. Have to say though with all the clay mixed in the soil stays nice and moist for quite some time.

3. Bonnie says:

Your boxes look wonderful and you have helped inspire a new energy in me. I’m ready to start building boxes! I love your blog! Have a hoppity, Spring day!

Thank you Bonnie – Inspiration is good and if you need help building boxes just let us know. You have to come out and see our new bridge… It’s awesome!

4. CD Loken says:

We are expecting more snow tonight and tomorrow so I am SUPER DUPER envious! Love the look of your raised beds and I’m looking forward to checking out more of your tips as we plan to build a few of our own this spring. It’s so awesome that you were able to save so many of your plants from the farm! Your herbs look wonderful!

More snow – so sorry I would be ripping my hair out. I’m just love the warm but I hear we have rain coming next week so I’ll probably end up going a little stir crazy. Love Love my raised beds and the herbs are just a little bit of heaven…

5. mickie mclaughlin says:

THIS IS A PERFECT POST FOR TODAY……YES, I’D LIKE TO BE IN TEXAS. LOL BUT IT IS SPRING HERE IN MARYLAND EVEN THOUGH YOU’D NEVER KNOW IT BY LOOKING OUTSIDE. BUT MY MIND IS THINKING GARDENING. YOUR RAISED BEDS LOOK WONDERFUL. WILL BE PULLING OUT MY STARTLE GARDENING BOOK TONIGHT TO READ ABOUT GROWING HERBS. LOVED THE STORY ABOUT THE SHEEP. I COULD JUST IMAGINE YOU WALKING THEM HOME WITH YOU. WISH YOU HAD POSTED A PHOTO OF THEM.

Hey Mickie – Gardening is a good thing to have on the mind and yes get out that book because it’s filled with all the nuggets of goodness. Really energized my efforts here because it made scaling back fun! I’m so loving this herb garden but right now it’s covered in chicken wire to keep these sheep from eating it.

It was late so that’s why there was no picture, was just focused on getting them to a safe place. It was a blast walking them here was very in my element and reminded me that sheep will be back in my life just seeking a smaller breed…

There is a lady nearby that raises Dorper Sheep and she had a few more show up at her place last night, injured… So sad… Anyways she’s going to come and get them hopefully later today and place them all in a pasture together. It breaks my heart but what a neat experience… Hope you have a great weekend…