Our Life After the Farm

Our life after the farm

Our life after the farm has been fascinating and we’re still trying to absorb all the blessings placed before us.  There have even been situations that didn’t seem like blessings but later something good came from it.

Through all the highs and lows of this very short period of time Robert and I discovered peace through it all.  We’ve witnessed so much and realized that God brought us to this destination for a reason.

Life after the farm and the creek

The other night while at a Make and Take Workshop I met a gal who read one of my early articles from Grit Magazine and later asked, “why did we sell our farm to come out here?”   We’ve been asked this several times so,  I shared the story which can also be found here and continued with the workshop.

Later that night I thought about her question and realized some people tend to stay in the same place their entire lives and sometimes even go back to where they were raised to finish living.  This made me wonder, why do people do that?

These thoughts caught me by surprise because I can’t imagine ever staying in one place for a long period nor would I ever entertain the idea of moving back to where I grew up.  My Grandmother lived in the same house from the time she was married till death; that was a good 70 plus years and I remember her saying, “taking a journey from our daily routine can be healthy.”

I don’t believe we’re called to stay in one place our entire lives, doing the same thing week, month and year after year.  At some point we need to shake things up to help us grow.  New experiences allow us to learn and trust in something greater than what we can ever imagine.

Life after the farm

For every move and there have been many, each experience offered moments of learning and growth for us both.  Learning can be painful; growth is what inspires us to do better, do more and move forward.

We’ve come to realize a long time ago this life isn’t about what we want it’s about what we can do while we’re here to bless others.  To bring hope in sometimes a dark place and offer a helping hand when the opportunity arises.

I’m discovering we don’t live like most people… We could care less about material things; we don’t need to be accepted, we live simple knowing God is in control of everything.

It’s like God has been calling us our entire life, some people ignore those callings because of fear or lack of trust, we decided to pick up the phone and say, hello.  I wish more people would do that…

We've been through a lot

Things change when you say hello…  Our life after the farm has been challenging and there have been days when we thought enough already.  We even considered selling and moving on but then there it was…

The phone ringing, we answered, said hello and a sweet reminder encouraged us to keep moving forward.

So what challenges or should I say blessings have we encountered that made life after the farm inspire us to keep moving forward?

• We’ve been working hard and it’s been awesome.
  • We’ve had people welcome us with open arms and we’ve even made some really neat friends.
  • We’ve been in the process of establishing a Quail Grove team.
  • We’ve had people drive by to chat, the majority very nice and some not so much.
  • We ran into obstacles with the County Government, which lead us to educating them on the law.
  • Local people have referred to this project as rift raft, which is confusing especially since we’re constantly cleaning up.
  • I gained some weight over winter because we were eating out way too much, so we cut back and we’re exercising again.
  • We watched rain fall for two weeks and discovered Tiny Living can be challenging when stuck indoors, so we went to the movies.
  • We found ourselves ditch digging with shovels, directing water to the creek instead of washing out the county road.

Life after the farm and good things

We’ve laughed a lot and at the end of the day we’ve encouraged each other, we’ve prayed and most important we continue to grow.  Life without growth isn’t living and there will be set backs and failures in everything.

God never promised when we said hello that everyday would be easy, but he did promise we would be blessed.  Our life after the farm has been encouraging and as we remain positive we know that Quail Grove will be a blessing to those who decide to call it home.

1. Kim Shaw says:

Carole I enjoyed both stories! Welcome to Delta County. We are so proud you and Robert are here. I so enjoy the Make and Take Workshops! Again, welcome and can’t wait for the next play date!!

Hey Kim – Thank you for the warm welcome you’ve been awesome and love seeing your friendly face in the workshops. I hope you can come in March because I have a sweet mix of paint colors arriving and I’ll have new stencil brushes too – you’re going to love them!

I meant to say April….

Thank you for the gentle reminder to listen to God’s whispers. I woke up not looking forward to the day, but I need to remember that each day has its blessings. Enjoy your weekend!

Hey Daisy – sometimes it’s hard to get going but just knowing you’ve been blessed with a new day it makes it worthwhile. Hope you have a great weekend. Hugs- Carole

3. A story i could have written since it is just about the same path we have been on. Days can be a challenge but at the end of the day God is showing us we are following His path. I agree that we aren’t meant to stay in one place for ever …we are meant to get out and experience new things and new people …new life. I love following you and hearing all about your new adventures.

Tracy – I was tempted to email you several times because I needed to chat with someone who’s living like we are. Why I didn’t I have no idea probably got side tracked and didn’t want to be a downer. I think of you often and wonder how y’all are doing and continue to keep you in our prayers. You are the sweetest… Carole

What a great article. You had me hooked at the start when you mentioned that many times things that seem so bad end up being blessings. After all these years I realize that this is so true. Why is it so hard for many of us to just let go and let God. A lessen I don’t know if I’ll ever truly learn. Thanks for the reminder. Every time I read your posts I get a sense of true peace and that’s great thing.

Thank you Patti – you’re my blessing! I think it’s harder for females because we have this tendency to control our environment and letting go of that control can be scary. Speaking from experience and not directing that towards anyone specific. It’s natural because it’s like control can sometimes be confused with protection. But I have to tell ya once you let it go amazing things happen. I’m still working on it and there are times when I still get scared and that’s when I go to scripture or take a walk outside to find that peace and connection that I desperately need to survive in this world. Hugs Friend!

5. BonBon says:

Carole……what an inspiring story you and Robert are living. Over my life, I have experienced similar situations that were very disappointing but later I came to realize it was for something better. I have learned to trust and go forward and not dwell or things that do not go as I thought they should or hoped for. Pray, trust and live an honest life and God provides. Thanks for your inspiring words.

Hey Bon Bon completely agree and I like that you said…. an honest life because that’s just beautiful, that entire sentence you should make a sign or something for it.. Love it!!
      Hope you have a great weekend. Carole

1. mickie mclaughlin says:

I agree with BonBon, that sentence should be made into a sign to post ON YOUR PLACE. Get out your stencils…..LOL

I’m washing up stencils now. Have a great weekend Mickie…

6. Bonnie Hobbs says:

Open doors are sometimes difficult to walk through, but knowing God is on the other side makes it easy to follow Him. He never promises the invitation will be easy, nor will it always turn out the way we wish it would. But through all my journeys, I have found blessings; some small but some big, some sweet and encouraging, some are nothing more than difficult and challenging. But always, there is a blessing…or two…or three. I enjoyed reading this particular article because it parallels with where I am and reminds me that it’s part of the adventure and I’m ready for the next journey to begin. My heart is open and I’m preparing for what He has planned next. Thank you for sharing from your heart <3

Robert and I have both decided that new journeys are healthy. Glad you enjoyed I was pondered that gals question in my head for a couple days, kind of reliving the last 5 or 6 months and there was comfort knowing God has us where we should be right now. Being open to his will is the key and acting on it takes courage and a brave soul. I know God has something better for you, something that’s really bright and uplifting… Just wait and remember to say hello when he calls. Hugs!!

7. Jenny Young says:

So true though I will add that moving on doesn’t always mean a physical move. You can stay in the same place all your life & still move forward. I actually think in some ways it’s harder to do but just as rewarding.

I live 1,000 miles from where I was born & grew up but I’ve lived in the same house almost all my adult life (29yrs). I hope to be here at least another 20 or 30. My son was born & raised here & moved only 5 miles away to start his life with his little family….that’s hard for me to imagine. I think it would be so wonderful to see people every day that knew you as a preschooler, who knew you at church or played sports or pranks with your parents….what a heritage to have. To be grounded & confident, have the community around you that knows everything about you & still loves you. It’s not that common anymore & I’ very happy my son & daughter-in-law have that.

That’s so wonderful you’ve had a positive experience thank you for sharing.

8. CD Loken says:

You really should think about motivational speaking, Carole! Every time I read your inspiring words I feel like you are reading my mind and heart. I am so happy that you and your hubby have found peace and happiness on your new adventure. I truly love stopping by to see where your adventure takes you next! Hugs!

CD – That’s a huge compliment and it makes me smile. I think you and I are a lot alike, I remember reading your blog and just felt this connection and then later to find out we were just very like minded was comforting. So glad you stopped by it really made my day. I miss you, your blog and your heart… Keep shinning!

9. Penny says:

Wow, you had me “hooked” from start to finish. Yes you are so right………it was reading my life in what you were saying, and how wonderful you are doing, following your heart ❤️ yes I wish more people had a heart, and were more “open thinking”.
    Life is soooooo…… very short, let’s be nice to one another, and don’t criticise, just be pleased you are doing gods blessing and your working so hard for a better future for people you don’t know yet. It is wonderful what you and Robert are doing, I just wished I was closer as I would love to help you on your journey, I think living here in Australia is abit far away for a days visit 😂
    Keep up the wonder work, and remember to rest when your body when it tells you so. XO

Yes life is so very short isn’t it and the older I get the more particular I am with my time. That would be quite the journey but ya know we would welcome you. So I worked like crazy Wed and Thursday but today I rested and the best part it was pretty windy here so I guess God knew I needed a rest too. Thanks for stopping by I enjoy hearing from you Penny.

10. Cheryl says:

I can so relate to much of what you said…not so much as far as what you are actually doing, but the call of God to something more. I loved what you said, “It’s like God has been calling us our entire life, some people ignore those callings because of fear or lack of trust, we decided to pick up the phone and say, hello. I wish more people would do that…” I can say that I am SO glad my family and I did that, and it is an amazing journey when you choose to follow Jesus with your whole heart and soul!!

I sure do know you can relate and I hope all has been well for you and your family. I’ve come to realize there is a big difference between living for the earth and living for the kingdom. So you can imagine which Robert and I are living and doing for. It’s awesome.. How’s your book coming along?

11. Sharon says:

Thank you for following God’s call. All that you’re doing is a great example and inspiration. So many times the past couple years during our transition, I was reminded of what Oswald Chambers said: “Trust God and do the next thing.” I’m so thankful that doing that has finally brought us to our new home that we love! And I’m excited that spring is just around the corner, to get outside, build a Startle Garden, and get seeds and plants in the ground. 🙂 Shalom!

I’m excited for spring too – it’s like a gift that brings so much to our lives each year. Thank you for sharing such kinds words and thrilled you have a home that brings you joy.

good morning, Carole,

your move your plans and the love you obviously share for one another is a beautiful thing. I wish I could come and visit and see everything you’re doing. Enjoy the journey and I’m with you..change is good

xo

Hey Jane – You can come visit any time just head south. Seriously at some point probably after 4 properties are sold we’re going to have one to rent so people can try out tiny living on a weekend. I cleared earlier this week near our quail area and decided it would be fun to make a little bird park in that space too. Excited and blessed and yes a beautiful thing, Robert and I are soul mates. Hugs – was great to hear from you. -Carole

13. This is such a beautiful reminder of the benefits of saying Hello when God calls. I love how you put it at the end, about laughter, encouragement, prayer, and growth. Thank you for sharing your heart with us!

You’re welcome sometimes it just feels right to put it out there.