Growing Up Structure Ideas

There are many reasons why growing a vertical garden, it opens the door to opportunity for many gardeners especially if they have limited space.

For me it just makes harvesting easier.

I thought it would be fun to take a look at some easy to implement vertical options that you may find helpful.

The Brown Structure

My husband built this brown structure,  it was going to be a greenhouse but we quickly decided it was too small.

I said no worries cause I knew it would work in the garden and be perfect for cucumbers or beans.

We attached it to an existing raised bed, added more dirt, then I finished painting and added left over fencing wire to the sides encouraging plants to trail.

I’m excited about this structure, there’s a lot of space and I might be able to grow some flowers in the middle.   I see a lot of possibilities here.

Raised bed with Cow Panels

This raised bed is constructed using leftover landscaping timbers. The half hoop and tall wire piece are cow panels left over from fencing projects so I decided to just use them for more vertical growing.

These panels are a heavy wire so they can handle a lot of weight.

For the most part panels are easy to use, you do have to be careful because their sharp edges hurt.

It seems what ever we can’t use on the farm I try to find a place for it in the garden.

Good Old Rebar

Finally we use up that rebar and it just happens to be one of my favorites options! A neighbor gave us this and  I wasn’t sure what to do with it.

One year I used them for growing beans and it was so fun that I thought I might do something similar once again.
Do you grow up?  If so share your ideas, I’d love to hear about them.

1. Like you I love to repurpose leftover materials into my garden and I love all my cattle panel trellis. I use them primarily to weave my tomato plants in & out to both support the plants as well as draw the veggie-producing parts closer to the edge of the bed for easier harvesting. Plus as my tomatoes grow up the trellis they shade the ground beneath & I run an irrigation hose underneath the hoop to give the plants the water they crave. Love your ideas, you've got my thinker spinning now on other ways to build up. Thanks for sharing. (visiting from Tuesdays With A Twist hop)

~Taylor-Made Ranch~

2. That's awesome! I'm glad I got this post back up! I'm currently building a fence for my garden, then a ice storm came through and put my project on hold until another warm day arrives. At this point anything above 50 would be a blessing. As I was building this fence I had so many ideas for Gardening Up. So stay tuned I plan to share more later, I also have some neat ones on Pinterest. -Carole

3. Marla says:

You have some great ideas here for space saving garden and recycling products. I really like the idea of vertical gardens. Personally I am so glad that more and more people are starting to have there own garden. I will be looking forward to more of your ideas. Will share this on Pinterest. Visiting from Tuesday with a Twist Blog Hop. Have a wonderful healthy day.

1. Thanks – Hope you're following me on Pinterest – I love that site! I agree very glad to see more people growing their own food. It's how things use to be and getting back to basics is just smart living. Thanks for stopping by! -Carole

4. I love these ideas! I'm just starting to plan our garden. I love using cattle panels and the brown A-frame looks like a great idea that would work for us. Great post!! Visiting from Tilly's Nest Blog Hop.
    Jen

1. Welcome Jen – I enjoy getting creative with the unexpected. I really have to keep things simple, smart because my live is extremely busy. Thanks for stopping by – I hope you connect up with GardenUp green – Carole

5. gentlejoy says:

Oh – I can hardly wait to get out in my garden and get things ready and growing…..once the snow leaves. 🙂 Gentle Joy

1. I've been hearing that a lot lately – I think everybody across the country is simply tired of this winter. Its been strange. Thanks for stopping by! -Carole

6. Anne Payne says:

We haven't gardened in a few years but when we did, we sure used similar items in our garden. Lots of great ideas here. Thanks for sharing on Clever Chicks Blog Hop. Following you on Pinterest now.

1. Thanks for stopping by – I'm anxious to get things planted this year – just a few more weeks and I'm currently working on a garden fence that I'll be able to plant up on too! -Carole

7. Sparkling says:

I garden up as much as I can. I once used old ladders to grow gourds and they just kept growing and growing. It was an insane bush of gourds! I think it's essential to grow up so that bugs and moisture are kept at bay. Your structures are much more organized and well thought out than mine. Mine are very haphazard. I am dying for some cow panels because the flimsy stuff I have isn't worth fighting with. Love the rebar. That's a lot of rebar!!! I think it's hysterical that you have an emu in the picture!!

1. Yes I think he thought he was being helpful that day, his name is Chaka. The cow panels are nice I have to admit but you have to be careful on the edges. I guess I'm kind of an organized nut – my family asked me one day to stop organizing the house for awhile and I said I'll go organize the outdoors. One extreme or the other I guess…
      Old ladders – I really like that idea – I'll be on the look out when I go junking! Thanks for the idea and so glad you stopped by. -Carole

2. Sparkling says:

Was the rebar already bent like that? I'm curious how you did it to make your hut like frame.

3. The rebar wan't bent -I waited till the ground was really wet (after a good rain) and then push it down straight about a foot. Anyways once I made the oval _ think there are 7 or 6 rebar in that – at the top I wired them together . I over laped the rebar at the top and the wire wasn't really necessary but it gets windy here. Later this week after I till I'll add that roll of wire around the bottom it to get more plants out of this structure. -Carole

8. Such good ideas – we love to grow as much food as possible in our garden and growing up certainly does help.

1. Hello Vickie – Glad you like this. I like growing up because harvesting is just easier. I'm in Texas and I always fear that I might run into a snake. Thought it was a good solution. -Carole

9. Just found your blog via blog hop at the Chicken Chick! I can't wait to get out and dig. We are still under snow and ice. Am plannind some up growing here this year too. It really saves space and keeps things healthy in the garden.

1. Glad you stopped by Paula! I can't imagine looking at snow this time of year. I guess that's why I'm in the south. – we've had some cold snaps and it's been a long winter so I'm really excited about Spring. Growing up is great and I'd love to see what you plan – you're always welcome to share picture on the GardenUp Facebook page. -Carole

10. Anonymous says:

Available in different lengths, telescoping poles will attach to many different types
    of swimming pool vacuum heads and will allow you to access
    hard-to-reach areas without straining your back. Olefin can be
    found mostly outside as it can't easily be damaged by water.
    Once you have them in a pile, take a shovel and
    scoop them into a bucket, box or bag.

my web page: farm tires

1. Interesting – maybe you'd like to advertise on my blog – Visit my Advertise options! -Carole

11. sosheri says:

Thanks, Carole, you've given me some great vertical gardening ideas!

1. You're welcome! Glad you liked it – I have my beans planted right now where the rebar one is. I'll do an update probably by the end of May – it will look so fun! -Carole