Fall Decorating with Osage Oranges

How many of you are familiar with Osage Oranges?  Well if you haven’t heard of them let me introduce you.  I had no clue what these were until we moved to our little farm.

Osage oranges also known a horse apples grow and drop to the ground from my least favorite tree called the Bois d’ arc.  This tree is native to central and east Texas.

Farmers and ranchers back in the day used the trees for fencing and many of those fences are still standing.  We found remains on our farm and I gathered them to add a rustic appearance around the front and backyard.

This is my least favorite tree because the branches have thorns and when those oranges drop you don’t want to be standing under one.  We have at least five of these trees and every year we pick up these oranges and eventually burn them.

This year  I decided to embrace their beauty and incorporate the green for fall decorating.

Jazz Up the Outdoors

In my backyard we have this heavy duty picnic table my husband built so I thought this table centerpiece was a pretty simple application.  I started with mums, a couple green plants, burlap bag, fall leafs, and osage oranges.  Putting it all together was the fun part.

Rose Garden Space

Next I went over to my small rose garden where nothing is blooming, continued with the the osage oranges by filling empty containers.

The white vintage enamelware really complimented the shade of green and combined with pines cones just made sense since we have so many available.

Front Yard Sitting Space

I don’t decorate much in the front yard because things seem to look pretty sweet as is with just a few furniture pieces. But I did want something simple for the table so I added burlap, a few plants and a couple more osage orange.

This has become a comfortable space to enjoy afternoon tea or morning coffee after chores.

The chickens are a bonus and I’ve noticed they’re the perfect addition to a fall photo, very pretty rooster and hens are still busy eating bugs while still supplying us with a wonderful assortment of eggs.

Decorating for fall doesn’t have to be expensive; if you’re on a budget look at what you already have and figure out how you can jazz up your space to look new and interesting.

To learn more about bois d’ arc trees visit Texas A & M Forest Service.

Get creative with outdoor fall decor and incorporate osage oranges for a bright color that accents fall beautifully#FallDecorating, #OsageOrange
5 garden tips for weed removal

Your outdoor decor is gorgeous! I picked up one pot of the same mums at Lowe's too – I loved the basket.
    Before we moved, and had a little land, we discovered Osage orange growing in our pasture. The boys loved to hurl them all over the pasture, but they are really tough and heavy; certainly not something to get hit by. I miss all that – especially as seasons change – so it's really nice to visit your lovely yard. Thanks for sharing.

1. Thank you Karen – I always enjoy hearing from you! We had a storm come in yesterday and I think the last of them have all fallen. It's been a day of clean up. Fire ants like those oranges too which isn't always good. They are fun to decorate with though and I love that shade of green. Hope you have a great Weekend. -Carole

2. We live in Missouri and people here put the Osage Oranges in their basement to repel bugs.

1. I've heard of that also – we don't have basements in Texas – weird I know the ground is like clay in areas. I use to use them in my garden to help repel insects and it worked great. -Carole

3. I have never before seen osage oranges… I actually think they are impressive looking and look great with your fall decor!

1. I do like their shade of green I just get tired of cleaning them up year after year. I'm thinking they would look really neat if I piled them up on a larger scale using bigger containers. Thanks for stopping by! -Carole

4. I have never heard of Osage Oranges, that would be quite a thing to deal with falling about, you have done a nice job working them in to your fall decor, I love the color! I would like to invite you to share you fall posts to my 2014 Harvest Hop Linky Party. 🙂

1. Thanks for the invite I just linked up that post. I like the seasonal theme – if you want to do one for Christmas let me know.
      -Carole

5. What a unique idea you have to decorate with Osage Oranges. This is the first time I ever heard or have seen one. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

1. They are fun when green – the rotting stages are not so pretty. Eventually they'll turn brown and oddly enough my chickens will peck at them to eat from time to time. -See you Sunday! -Carole

6. daisy g says:

Hmmmm, haven't heard of those before. What a great way to use them to decorate outside! Thanks for sharing on this week's Maple Hill Hop!

1. You're welcome – had fun sharing! – The wood of the tree is kind of neat when it burns because it sparks and looks like a sparkler in the night. -Carole

7. Kristie M says:

I love to use what I already have to decorate too! Your chickens really did add to the picture. 🙂

1. I have to laugh the chickens seem to show up always at the right time when I'm taking pictures. I just have the one breed and I never thought they would be this great in Fall pictures. Thanks for stopping by to share and wait till you see what I'm working on next. I'm having fun in the workshop today. -Carole

8. This looks fabulous! Pinned. We couldn't think of anyone better to party with! Thank you for stopping by. I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/
    Happy Saturday! Lou Lou Girls

1. I'm glad you liked it – I'll see you Monday and wait till you see what I've got for ya. I posted it yesterday – think you'll like – A DIY Pumpkin made of wood wall hanging. -Carole

9. JBArts says:

Those are so pretty! I wish I had some to decorate with! I have never seen them before. I am glad you linked this up because now I am going to keep my eyes open for them lol. Thanks for linking up at Totally Terrific Tuesday. Make sure you come back Monday night at 10pm to link up any new posts!! http://www.liverandomlysimple.com

1. They are pretty just a little sticky when the start to rot. They look pretty green for about 2 weeks and then I just burn them and wait for another batch to fall. See you Monday! -Carole

10. Mila Myk says:

What a wicked-looking fruit! Loving it :)Looks great with orange mums.
    I would love if you share it with my fall themed party Big Autumn Bash:

xx
    Mila
    milaslittlethings.com
    milawayable@gmail.com

1. Thanks for the invite I'm headed over that way now. Hope you have a great day! -Carole

2. Mila Myk says:

Thank you so much for joining the party ! 🙂
      xx
      Mila

11. Kathy helstrom says:

I grew up in east Texas – in the 50’s & 60’s. We had lots of “bois-d-arc” apples. My mother would slice the apples with a very stromg saw (about 1/3″) and dry/bake the slices on a foil lined cokie sheet for 3 hrs. At 200 degrees. After they were cooled she would thread them through “brazing rods” in center of circle and create a flower. BTW – our kitchen really stunk from the fumes!

I’m curious did they turn brown when she baked them? I can imagine the smell was something horrible. my chickens and emus peck at them for a treat and they do seem to help repel insects so I guess they have a purpose. I don’t like stand under the trees this time of year as you never know when one is going to fall.

12. Dixie says:

I’ve never heard them called Osage oranges. We always called them “horse apples”. Ours came from bois d’arc trees, so they’re the same things. They are great for using as decorations but, as she said, they have wicked thorns.