Backyard Quail Benefits

QuailB ackyard Basics

A year ago when I decided to raise quail the idea was exciting I saw this opportunity to learn and hoped for a realistic outcome.  Both came true which led me to share my experience.

During the early quail stage one of the first things I noticed was they were relatively quiet birds.  They do chirp but it’s soft like the sounds of nature.

I realized quail would be a good option for self reliance with people who have limited space similar to a backyard. Which means you can do additional backyard homestead besides, chickens or rabbits.

Before moving forward though you’ll want to check with your state, city, county or sub division, sometimes rules and regulations can keep you from moving forward.

Do remember quail is a wild game bird and doesn’t fall into the category of traditional poultry practices.

The Benefits of Raising Quail

The benefits of raising quail over traditional poultry are pretty fantastic. I decided to list them so that you can see there a contender for backyard homesteading.

• They’re not destructive
  • Fresh eggs From early spring – Fall
  • Fresh meat
  • Natural Fertilizer
  • Healthy addition to meal planning
  • My favorite – Enjoyment

The Enjoyment Factor

The enjoyment factor was something I wasn’t even expecting when I decided to raise quail.

Nature is everywhere, even in the urban areas, there is no escaping it no matter how fast passed your lifestyle might be.

I live in the country so I’m always impressed at how nature fills my day with enjoyment.

Adding the quail was entertaining but it also brought me hours of enjoyment by just sitting by and watching their activity.

The Quail Sanctuary

When I established the quail sanctuary, the goal was to prepare a place of enjoyment where the birds could live a natural lifestyle.

This picture is from their home; the tree branches are stacked to provide hiding and the red boxes are used to get out of the rain or away from the warm sun.

This is a place where they can live protected and free at the same time.

These quail are coturnix, a domestic breed.  They’re not traditionally raised to live naturally like I have chosen.

When they were offered this lifestyle they adapted quickly it was amazing.

Providing a home for your quail is the fun part, but embracing the benefits to see that they might be a possible option to your homestead is another neat aspect.
I recommend establishing a space that is enjoyable for the birds so the experience is a positive one for everyone, including you.
Backyard quail are a great alternative to chickens. It’s a simple way to add a little self reliance to your backyard.

Learn the benefits to raising quail in a natural environment in your backyard or homestead. #quail, #Homestead, #QuailBenefits

1. O my! This is totally awesome. I never realized you could have quail and use the eggs! I live in the city with only a balcony so I can not do this but you have opened my eyes for the future when I do have a house again. Very inspiring thank you! Visiting from Inspire Me Monday!

1. Glad you liked it – I really enjoy the quail and the eggs are wonderful in salads. Sometimes smaller is better. – thanks for stopping by it was nice to hear from you. -Carole

2. Dezz says:

Hm, pardon if this message gets to you twice. I found your link on the Chicken Chicks website about quails. I like the idea of raising them, with thought to let them go free on my property (we live in Oregon) but then heard that doing so is illegal! I can use the eggs, but would have a difficult time slaughtering for meat. How do you do it?

1. Welcome! Processing is not as difficult as you might think. I like to know where my food comes from so we take great care in providing a natural environment where they can thrive and have a great life. The first kull is always the hardest, we make sure the process is as humane as possible so there is no suffering. There are some helpful videos on you tube. I'm at that place in my life where I want to know where my food comes from, when you live off the land you just live healthier. Great question!
      -Carole

3. Carol Green says:

Wild quail visit my yard every summer. Love them! Thanks for sharing on OMHG Wordless Wednesday!
    Good Luck and have a great week!

Carol (aka Running Granny Green)

1. The quail population has declined in our area the last five years, I remember seeing them when I was a kid up in the Pacific Northwest it was always a fun experience. I've decided to bring in some Bobwhites to raise and release, they're native to this area and hopefully this avenue will help the quail population around here. Thanks for stopping by hope you have a great weekend. -Carole

4. You are so lucky to have such a wonderful back yard with all those wonderful pets and gardens! Thanks for the inspiration as always, I don't think I can have quails due to my 6 cats lol
    Maria

1. We have 4 acres so I do feel pretty blessed. We actually plan to sell this place and move further out in the country on about 50 plus acres. Not sure what we'll do with all that space… Probably just enjoy nature and absorb the quiet. -Carole

5. Super post! Pinned and tweeted. We love to party with you, so I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm.. Have an amazing day! Lou Lou Girls

6. R.F. Dietz says:

OMG! That's our state bird! I don't think we're allowed to have quails…this is the most fascinating post! Thanks for linking it up to the #ShineBlogHop! They look so cute and I love your self-reliant/self-sufficient ambitions. You're living one of my dreams!

1. You must live in California, California quail are native to your area and they're very pretty. I grew up in Washington state and that breed was there too. -Carole

7. I've never thought about raising and keep quail! Very interesting! Thanks for sharing at Creative Spark; hope you'll join us again this week 🙂

1. They are fun birds – Less commitment compared to chickens. -Carole

8. This is a very interesting post with interesting comments! I never thought of quail in the back yard and using them and the eggs. I was raised in an Asian family (I'm half Asian/half white but raised in an Asian lifestyle). I haven't heard of quail really since I was little. Very interesting! Sharing! Thanks for sharing this at Totally Terrific Tuesday! I can't wait to see what you have for this week.

Sharon
    herorganizedchaos.com

1. Hello Sharon – the Coturnix is what I currently raise, also known as the Japanese Quail. It's native to Asia, imported to North America in the late 1800's. This breed is common for the benefit of eggs and meat. Thanks for sharing! -Carole

9. Joy Mooiweer says:

A lot of my neighbors have backyard chickens and even turkeys and geese, but no quail. Sounds like they make a wonderful backyard bird, the quiet part is a real benefit! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend? I hope you will join us again tomorrow morning 🙂

1. I was at Texas Home and Garden this weekend – sharing how to get started with quail. It was so much fun.. I'll link up next week – haven't written much in the last week, that's about to change.

10. Debra says:

How do you find their eggs if living in the wild?

How do you prevent natural predators from
    Killing the quail?

In this sanctuary they lived in a 60 ft set up that is fenced in so I never had to deal with predators. We also used a llama and dog to keep predators away. They lay eggs in nests and they’re easy to spot, you just grab and gather. Hope that helps I have several articles about raising quail here and a book, Quail Getting Started that you may find helpful. Thanks for stopping by.

Comments are closed.