Collecting Rain Water

We’re in the rainy season and everything has turned green.  This just also happens to be the perfect time to collect rain water.

By collecting water you can help conserve expenses during the summer.

Last year I started with this 100 gallon container; it worked well and for months I kept thinking a second container would be even better.

We get heavy rainfall in Texas and it doesn’t take very long to fill a tub so last week I added another 100 gallon container.  This weekend it rained and I’ve got 200 gallons of water on hold.

The first tub sits near the house collecting rain from the roof.

The second tub sits in the garden allowing the water to be transported via irrigation tubing.

Irrigation Pipe + Connections

My tubs came from the farm store with these metal connectors already installed.

The first thing you need to do is unscrew the metal cap on the tub and screw in the middle metal piece from the photo.

Make sure it’s tight and then add the shut off connector valve next.

If you plan to set up a similar system you will need to do this with both containers.

Establishing Water Flow

Use irrigation pipe and connectors to establish water flow from one container to the other. The off and on valves are handy because when the tubs are full you can shut them off to stop the water flow.

These tubs are about 17 feet apart so moving the water takes time. The black irrigation tubing is easy to use by measuring the distance of pipe needed and connect accordingly.

I added the corner turn connector because I didn’t want the pipe to bend.

You could also use PVC pipe or a garden hose.

Moving Water

Moving the water begins with a slow drip, within an hour the tub will fill up and water is ready to use when you need it.

Between rainfall, I cover the top with wood to keep mosquitoes from populating.

It’s much easier to use the water that’s sitting in the garden tub than the one near the house and watering is a matter of filling a bucket and taking it where it’s needed; this is good exercise.

Rain water is great for the garden and my preferred method for irrigation.  It’s simple and it works great.  How do you water your garden?

We've had rain for a whole week, and the garden has loved it! Rain water is so much better than tap – especially when it's municipal water. I've considered a collecting system, but haven't gotten to it yet. One question: how do you handle mosquitoes with open tubs?

Have a great week, Carole!

1. I cover it with wood between rainfall. These tubs are a bit pricey I could actually use a couple more. We had lots of rain this weekend too. This helps supplement. At our next property I'll be able to reuse them for Aquaponics, my husband wants to try that out on a small scale.

2. daisy g says:

We have three rain barrels and absolutely love them. In fact, when we move, they are going with us. We use screen on the top of the barrels to deter mosquitoes. Works like a charm.
    Love your system, Carole!

1. Hello Daisy – I'm excited to finally have two of these tubs set up, these tubs will go with us when we sell too. I like the idea of wire, I was using wood. I kind of like to also leave them open because the birds can grab a drink or take a dip when they visit. -Carole

3. You have put together a nice tutorial on collecting rain water. So man of our friends out in California are in a drought situation. When the rain does come this could help them with watering all their beautiful flower and veggie gardens. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

1. Hello Kathy – I've been through two droughts on this little farm and they're the worst, especially when temperatures are around 110 and counting. We stopped planting during those days and focused our efforts on the animals. We've been blessed this spring with a lot of rain and honestly I could be collecting way more water but we plan to sell next spring and it appears we're limited time for projects so we can plan for the next adventure. -Carole

4. Gentle Joy says:

Good idea… a little different take on the rain barrel idea… very do-able. When I first started reading this, I was concerned about mosquitoes breeding, but you addressed that issue with the board on top. 🙂 Thank you for sharing this.

1. You're welcome! Living down south mosquitoes are always a concern and it seems my lifestyle revolves around the weather forecast so knowing when to remove those wood lids hasn't been a big deal. I needed something simple to implement because we're selling in a year. At our next property we'll irrigate from pond water. So excited! -Carole

5. Shelly Olson says:

What a great idea. Our neighbors have huge plastic bins hooked up to their downspouts to collect the rain water. We don't have room for huge bins but this would work. Thanks for sharing it at the Tuesday Garden Party.

1. Hello Shelly – Hope you're having a great day. I'm loving these tubs and could really use more but they're kind of pricey. This is just a simply system to help supplement water expenses.
      Love Garden Parties such a great idea. -Carole

2. Hello Shelly – Hope you're having a great day. I'm loving these tubs and could really use more but they're kind of pricey. This is just a simply system to help supplement water expenses.
      Love Garden Parties such a great idea. -Carole

6. Pam Greer says:

We set up a rain barrel last summer and love it! I would love it you would link up to Garden Tuesday at Sidewalk Shoes today!

7. Deborah says:

These are on the list this next year. I'm liking your method.

8. I always learn so much from you. Pinned and tweeted. Please join us on Monday at 7 pm and party with us! It is so super fun to see what you have been working on! Lou Lou Girls

9. Joy says:

Carole, this is perfect with all the rain we've been getting! I love it, and I'm excited to tell you I will be featuring it at Treasure Box Tuesday when we open tonight! Thank you for partying with us! 🙂

1. Thank you so much for the feature – I was out of town but will make sure to link this post up now. Thanks for stopping by to tell me. -Carole

10. Audrey says:

I am just praying for rain here in California so I have something to collect. I have thought about rain barrels for a few years, but because there is barely anything to catch I haven't pursued it.

1. I've been through a few droughts here in Texas so I understand praying for rain. Think about setting up a water catch system, always good to have something in place. Thanks for stopping by hope you have a great week. -Carole

11. First off, I love your blog just found it today & wanted to say HI =). I love your rain water collection ideas, I live in Colorado where it happens to be ILLEGAL (Yep it is, & It's the only state in the country) =( I thought maybe to get a container like yours and maybe add some goldfish to it. That way when someone asks if I'm collecting rain water I can say NOPE its a goldfish tank haha. They had finally approved it but the house put it on table for another time =( Thanks again for the great posts…keep them coming, I'm reading =)

1. Hello Veronica! Adding gold fish is brilliant that will also incorporate fertilizer from the fish which your garden will love. We lived in Colorado for three years, I liked it – altitude kind of was a kicker in the summer though. We didn't like all the laws the state began implementing so back to Texas we went. So glad you found me, if you have any questions please feel welcome to ask. -Carole