Planter with Discount Plants

Create a Planter with Discount Plants

It’s been a rainy May and my garden currently has standing water between the beds.  Which means nothing is really growing; everything has kind of just stalled waiting for sunlight.

This made me realize that perhaps it’s time to redirect my gardening efforts to making planters.

Establishing planters has never been my gift and I always feel like I’m wasting money purchasing plants only to watch them wither as the season moves forward.

Things are about to change because I’ve decided to take a new approach.

I was at the nursery the other day and couldn’t help notice the clearance plants.

There were six racks loaded with plants that needed a little trimming and hope for a brighter tomorrow.

I purchased this bundle of plants for $12.00.

Before I ran off looking for a container I took a few minutes to clean up these plants.  This included cutting off broken branches and any expired blooms.  Then I water each one so their soil was nice and most transplanting.

This container was a gift one Christmas; it was filled with an assortment of fancy snack foods. It’s been sitting in the backyard collecting water so I emptied the container, grabbed my handy drill and quickly added some holes for drainage.

One thing I know about container planting is that it must have good drainage.

Ways to Address Drainage

There are a couple things that are easy tips to improve container drainage.

• Add rocks to the bottom of the planter before adding soil; I was told lava rocks work best.
  • Make sure drainage holes are present in the container; I drilled a total of eight in this tin container.
  • Something else I’ve used in the bottom of my containers is retired luffa sponges; they will eventually recycle back into the soil but it takes a long time.

I love a naturally grown product that has purpose even when it may be expired in the eye of others.

Planting the Container

After incorporating drainage options add a good mixture of organic soil filling the container about half way.

Placing the plants is where I normally seem to mess up so this time I started from the center and worked my way to the edges.

I didn’t over crowd each plant variety but I also didn’t leave things so they looked sparse.  Sometimes you have to find a happy medium and remember plants need room to grow.

Once it was finished I placed in the center of the picnic table in our backyard.  Even though it’s still raining I can peak through the window and see a bit of beauty.

Remember gardening doesn’t have to break the bank and sometimes a little color on a dreary day can remind you that warm temperatures are not that far away.

Next month I’ll be sharing how to fertilize planters so they continue growing naturally through the summer.

Learn how to brighten up the yard by creating planters with discount plants. Find out what to look for and prepare them for containers. #Planters, #GardenTips

1. daisy g says:

I think it looks great! I love using old baskets as planters. I've used packing peanuts as fillers in the bottom since they don't add weight.
    You will be enjoying the rain even more now that you have your lovely display! Have a good weekend!

1. Thank you – I've been having fun and will share more soon. I finally found a use for some of those tree trunks. I'm working between the rain; it's really wet now so I'm hoping things will dry out eventually. Everything is water logged. Carole

2. I love bargain plants! I bought a hibiscus last year for $1.50 on the clearance rack. I trimmed it up, watered it, and it gave me beautiful blooms all summer long. I like interesting containers too. I also use old baskets as decorations for clay pots.

1. Bargain plants are the best and I think we have so many in the stores here right now because of our rain. Folks just are not buying plants up like they did last year. I'm kind of just having fun and learning as I go. So far I'm hooked. Like the idea of planting in Baskets – might have to try that. I'm currently building some planters with reclaimed wood. Can't wait to share. -Carole

3. Very nice Carole. I love container planting. I have plants in containers from last year which made it through the winter months and have come back bigger and better. 🙂

1. I had one come back from last season too – was so neat. I think it was because it was in a protected area. Anyways it was nice to see it come back double the size. Love that! I've been trying to have some fun to off set all this rain. It's been pretty dark and gloomy here and my garden is screaming for some sunshine. . Ready for Summer! -Carole

4. Jenny says:

Some of my best containers are filled with discounted plants. Through the season as well, I shop for discounted plants to fill holes in my garden beds where things have not done as well as I'd hoped.

1. That's neat Jenny – I'm loving these discount plants. Thinking of making some winter cold boxes later this summer to I can store these planters through winter. We shall see what transpires. Stay tuned because next month I'm going to share how to keep them fertilized.
      -Carole

5. Christina Yates says:

I bought some Primula plants to fill a container where bulbs hadn’t grown, the primula has flowered for about four years but a couple of years ago the bulbs surprised me when Hyacinth plants showed through they were a bit leggy first time but last year they were spectacular and in several lovely colours. I moved house last August and brought my tubs and planters with me and the good old Primulas are flowering now and I’m hoping the Hyacinths come through again. I also bought miniature daffodils in a small cardboard tub, it cost £1. they have flowered in the same tub which is disintegrating for 3 years I had stuck it on top of a tub which my standard rose is growing in. I noticed the other day that there’s shoots coming through despite my neglect!

Sounds wonderful. I tend to pass on bulbs because they come and go so quickly down south. I’m thinking that may change in the future. Thanks for stopping by to share.

6. Christina Yates says:

I live in Lancashire which is in the North West of England although I was born farther north in Scotland. Our weather is much cooler than your’s in US although I don’t know where you are. Our weather being cooler is more suited to bulbs I think. I hope you will try some this year, you may be surprised and I never bother to lift them after they flower although some gardeners think you should as they can rot in our wet winters.

I bet it’s pretty when the sun is shinning. I grew up in Washington State and believe the weather patterns are similar. I may wait to try them at our new property. So excited about move. 28 acres of wonderful and we’re turning it into a Tiny House Community.

7. Christina Yates says:

Hi Carol, yes it is pretty when the sun shines but it is very cold today, we’ve had snow flurries but so far nothing serious this winter. Your new home sounds wonderful. I looked up Tiny House Communities on Google and found different ideas. I’d not heard the name before. It is a great concept if it will help people to have decent homes. Are you living in a “normal” size home but using the land for the Tiny Homes?
    Our government keep changing their minds about house building, last year it was very much focusing on ownership, especially first time buyers but young people can’t raise the deposit or mortgage in any case, now they’ve changed their minds and are saying we should build affordable housing for rent! I’m a director on the board of a local Social Housing landlord and we keep finding the goalposts have changed, it’s hard to know what’s best. I wish you well with the venture.

Hello Christina – We’re currently living in a comfy size home now and then once it sells we’ll actually move into our RV on that new land that we’re turning into a T/community. After we finish that project then we’ll purchase more land and finally move into our own Tiny House. Which after our RV experience that should last a year I’m sure our TH will feel like a mansion. LOL These homes will be 399 sq. feet. Can hardly wait to share the journey here so I hope you subscribed because once our farm sells I’ll be writing much more about it.

8. Kristil says: