Welcome To My Farm House

As the holiday weekend approaches my heart is locked in memories that remind me freedom isn’t free.  I want to welcome you to my farm house; we’re going on a journey.

What is Independence Day?  Growing up it was a day we celebrated my brother’s birthday in full swing because he was born July 4th.

Celebrations began with a countryside parade that continued to my aunt’s house where good food, family, swimming pool fun, cake and homemade strawberry ice cream were the focus.

After a day of ongoing fun we went home for presents and fireworks at Skyline. This is where my brother and I sat on the hood of the car sharing Oreo cookies while we watched the sky light up.

Since those days a lot has changed in my life and in this country.  I got married and had a couple amazing children, my brother passed away in his thirties, I moved away from where I grew up and the fourth of July became more of a restriction with rules of what you can and cannot do.

As Robert and I moved our family from one city to another the rules expanded until we finally made our way to the country.  We just wanted some quiet with an opportunity to get away from all the control.

We’re like the colonist holding this country together as we work our way through the mess of corruption. Sometimes it seems the true meaning of red, white and blue has been forgotten.

When we purchased our home I had just gone through some traumatic situations that resulted in my dad’s passing.  This was a low time in my life and I wasn’t sure how I was going to find the energy and work ethic this place required.

My heart needed restoring and so did this farm; I guess we were a perfect match? Was I ready for farm life? Probably not but it was where God placed me.

One morning about a month after we moved in I was sitting underneath the carport with our dogs and something happened.  I watched these dogs full of life jump and run like sparks of fireworks. At that moment my heart opened and for the first time in a long time I smiled without feeling bitter.

Something about watching their joy reminded me that where ever you are in life no matter what the circumstances it’s okay to go out on a limb and Bloom where you are planted.

So that’s what I did, I pulled myself together through the power of prayer and embraced this new lifestyle. Together as a family we slowly brought this place back to life one project at a time. A place where a few acres claimed independence and through it all I was reminded that the heart of America is within our freedoms.

That wonderful Declaration of Independence that changed everything so the people and this country could establish greatness. Freedom is in our heart and soul, it’s what brought people to seek this land from the beginning and when they got here, they worked and amazing things happened.

Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens.  They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country & wedded to its liberty & interests by the most lasting bands.   – Thomas Jefferson

When those fireworks hit the sky at dusk this 4th of July, be reminded that America’s freedom isn’t free and it’s broken down into three amazing colors, red, white and blue.

The day a democracy was born, the land of the free and the home of the brave – it’s the American dream.  We are a diverse nation and I believe we can be a strong nation again. May you all enjoy a wonderful weekend, from our farm house to yours.

Let Freedom Ring!

1. C.d. Loken says:

Such a heartwarming and inspiring post, Carole. Losing your brother at such a young age-and then your dad-oh my dear, I just want to give you a big hug! You are truly such an amazingly strong and inspiring lady. I also agree with you. Our beautifully diverse country can be strong again-but it’s going to take BIG changes! Wishing you a safe and blessed holiday weekend. I think I’ll share an Oreo with my grandson, in honor of your you and your brother!

1. Glad you enjoyed it – I find life experiences make us stronger – it’s when you allow yourself to stand back up, brush off the dust and decide to live a great life. Not always easy but eventually I get there. I look back at life and many times just say, WOW and thank God for my faith and love in him because without it I could never rise. Thanks for stopping to share and enjoy those Oreo’s. I hear they have triple stuff now.

2. Joyce Olson says:

Carole,
    My heart aches for you and the loss and pain that you have suffered through and at such a young age as well.
    Life has the most unpredictable twists and losses which we are never prepared for.
    You are such a talented and savvy soul, way beyond your years, and it sounds like you listened to your heart and our dear Heavenly Father. He did bring you right where you need to be and you are blossoming beautiful and I feel privileged to know you.
    It is more important than ever that those of us who remember a gentler, sweeter, time in our country stick together and support those values, traditions and valor that we were founded on.
    You know that I grew up on a farm and there is nothing on this earth as close to heaven as that.
    Your post stirred many precious memories of my own childhood and I thank you so much.
    Blessings to you and Happy 4th of July.

1. Happy 4th to you too! Life is just one big twisted mess, it does make us wiser and strong if we allow God to let us heal. I think the amazing part now is I don’t look back with sadness more as a wow – I got through it. One time I thought well if Christ can get back up for me then I can do it for him and I never stopped. I completely agree about working the land in connections to a closeness to heaven, it had to be fantastic growing up on a farm. I can feel that connection when I work in the garden, it’s amazing. Thanks for sharing – it’s always a highlight of my day when you stop by to share.

3. nature gurl says:

Bless your heart. So glad that you allowed yourself to heal. I’m sure your brother and your dad would want it that way. Enjoy your holiday! God Bless America!

1. Healing is living.. and yes God Bless America!

4. Jane Peet says:

thank-you for sharing, just want to give you a big hug!

1. Awe you’re sweet – Glad you enjoyed!

5. Donna - Funky Junk Interiors says:

Beautiful message, Carole. Your words gave me a flicker of hope in a situation I’m currently finding impossible. How right you are.

Your patriotic vignette is just gorgeous. Loving how you used FarmHouse especially… it’s perfect!

1. Hugs Donna – I’ve been praying for your sister and you. Hope is what I live for and I’ve found that we’re stronger than we give ourselves credit. It’s when we give up that we are weak. So trust in God’s Love let him carry you through this time. I do believe we’re sent through trials for a reason. Will be thinking of you and Hope you’re enjoying Hawaii.

6. Karen King says:

In those early years, enjoying the fireworks and cookies, you probably could have never imagined the events and changes that lay ahead. None of us can. Yet, when we look back, we can see the strand that connects the events of our lives and know that it’s those times – and often the hardest ones – that have shaped us and been used to make us who we are today. We may not always understand the circumstances, but we can always trust Our Father, who uses all things to make us more like Christ – as well you know.

Thank you for sharing such a moving and heart-inspired post.

1. You’re welcome! It is interesting how life events mold us into the person Christ wants us to be. I’m very blessed and it’s taught me to enjoy the present moments more and more.

7. Becky Lamb says:

Super cute signs! Thanks for linking up to Talk of the Town party!

8. Stacey Keeling says:

This is so sweet and so heartfelt, Carole. When we moved back to Texas from Oklahoma, it was a choice we made on purpose. It was hard though. Change is hard no matter what and you do have to embrace it or look for those moments when your heart opens up and you know it was right.

1. I know that moment when you make a choice to move based on “purpose” and knowing it’s right even when others disagree. That was our second move back to Texas (Robert is From here) It was six months after my Brother died.. I had to do it for myself and our family and honestly it was the best thing and God opened every door to make the transition a smooth one. That was really an amazing time and let’s just say moving with two small children, two cats, stuck in an airport with bags and bags of luggage including car seats isn’t really that fun. But when I look back it was one of our best decisions. I LOVE Texas!

9. Deanna Rabe says:

I appreciate you sharing your story. I’m sorry for your loss, and I too, am sad about the changes in this country of ours. I’m happy for you embracing your life and living it!

1. You’re welcome and I believe things can be back on track, it takes one person to set the example and others will follow. So be that one person, the light that’s what my husband and I do.

10. Susanne Leggett Stewart says:

I love your story! Everything about it rings true. Bless you and your family!

11. Donna - Funky Junk Interiors says:

Back again, Carole! Just gotta feature these beauties this upcoming weekend on DIY Salvaged Junk. Thanks for linking up!

1. Thanks Donna -Made my day! Always love stopping by on Saturday morning even I don’t have anything to link up.

Hi Carole,

Somehow I missed this one and it’s fantastic. I love your message and I know so many people, myself included, need to be reminded to bloom where they are planted! It’s so easy to get depressed and look at the negative, when all you are really doing it wasting precious time. Enjoy life. It all goes by too quickly.

Thank you Patti – I remind myself all the time and since I wrote this I made a “Bloom Where you are Planted” sign for the garden to remind me. I think I need one for every space I spend time because so many times in all that’s going on I forget to enjoy and it sure does go by so quickly. SO this morning Donna Summer is on the radio and I think I’ll go dance in the rain. Yes it’s raining… Have a Great weekend – always nice to hear from you and thanks again for your sweet words while I was under the weather…. it helped..