DIY Vintage Painted Milk Jug

I purchased this milk jug a couple years back when rust really grabbed my attention.  Rustic outside the farm works but when I brought this piece indoors it just wasn’t happening.  It looked dark and not very inviting.

So, I took it back outside and let it sit next to a couple planters for years until the other day inspiration sparked and decided, “why not lighten it up?”

diy-vintage-painted-milk-jug-2

The jug base is covered in rust and it was label free  which made me feel better about covering with paint.  The first thing I did was wash down the entire exterior and interior finish with the garden hose and let it air dry outdoors.

This took a couple of hours because I kind of got busy with something else.

diy-vintage-painted-milk-jug-3

Painting was such a breeze, have you ever dry brush painted?  Well let me tell you with chalk paint it’s a really fun technique that offers fast results that turn out pretty amazing.

• First begin with a cheap paint brush, no kidding nothing fancy.
  • Painting the bottom by flipping the container upside down.
  • Once covered and dry, turn over and continue applying light strokes that present an unfinished look over the entire milk jug.
  • Strokes can cross over one another but really there is no right or wrong way to do this and why I begin with the bottom first for practice.

diy-vintage-painted-milk-jug-4

I painted inside the rim  because I wasn’t really sure what I would be putting inside.  I like this finish because the dark rust still seeps through.

After I was finished my first thought was, “It’s too white!”

This led me to Hobby Lobby where I found some fun brown wired ribbon.  It came in several colors so I may go back and get something like a festive red for Christmas.

diy-vintage-painted-milk-jug

The ribbon was added by tying a tight knot around the front and that’s when I smiled because that little bit of brown really toned down the white.

Since cleaning out the home and I mean really downsizing it has started to look pretty bare inside.  This project was about taking a moment to spruce up the fireplace we don’t use by adding fall details with this vintage jug.

I went pretty basic orange with pumpkins and table clothes my grandma made years ago.  Sticks came from the farm and after a few minutes of enjoying this simple display it finally felt like fall.

What I learned from this project is you can take just about anything you’ve had for years and make it new again.  It’s been several years since I decorated for fall indoors and it was pretty fun.

I bet if you go through those closets where treasures are hidden you may also find something to spruce up that would be enjoyable for your home; maybe you even have a vintage milk jug?

Get Simple tips for dry brush painting a vintage milk jug. Perfect for seasonal decorating. #VIntageMilkJug, #DryBrushPaint

Great job on the jug, though the rust is cool looking too. It’s always fun to “shop the house,” and since I love thrift shopping I’m beginning to look like a hoarder. Thanks for the reminder and inspiration.

Thank you this was a fun one.. My husband calls me the anti hoarder now because I think I may have gone a little over board on our cleaning out. But this piece I had to keep. I like it better now..

Love the milk jug! I agree…our own home, yard and the thrift store. One of the stores here gets loads of things in for the holidays!

Thanks, this was a fun one. Yes rust in the home I don’t know why but it doesn’t work for me.
      Hope you have a great week.

I’ve been shopping my home a lot lately, Carole. I’m STILL trying to get the last of our things organized after our move last spring. It’s all things we can obviously live without – mostly stuff I’m trying to organize into my craft space. I may be guilty of being a hoarder. 🙂 It’s so hard to see something that may have potential and let it go.

Love your milk jug! It reminds me of one my mom had – which was a hand-me-down from one of her aunts. My sister got that. 🙂

I didn’t know you could paint right over rust like that. I’m filing that away for the future because I love how your project turned out. Thanks for sharing.

I used chalk paint over that rustic finish and made sure it was dust free. I like it better and thinking it will be pretty fun at Christmas.
      Shopping at home and revamping what you have is fun – I guess since we’re doing such a dramatic downsize that I find it easier to just pass things on. It can be a little emotional so I’ve stopped for a while to allow myself a chance to think about something else.

Good Morning Carole,

Just loving the look of your blog and wow what a courageous move! I will be looking forward to hearing about the pro and cons.
    I also like the ease of leaving you a comment.

Now on to to the milk jug! What a gorgeous piece for Christmas decorating and I am ready for Christmas.
    Well, maybe not Christmas but definitely weather that feels like Christmas!
    Fabulous project!

So far it’s mostly pros – but you know whenever learning something new or just being in a new environment it takes some getting use to. The fact that I even got a post up yesterday was a moment of celebration. Anyways additional tweaking is necessary but other than that I LOVE it. My web gal made me a how to use video which was really helpful, I like the dashboard better because everything is easy to find.

Christmas will be here before you know it and I can’t even believe October is almost over. I think this is why I’m feeling so overwhelmed because time is just moving fast. I seen some of my goals come and go unaccomplished and I don’t like that but then I remind myself to chill out and just let God lead the way. Then I breathe so much better…

That jug was pretty fun and I really did paint it while on the phone with a friend. I’m excited about sharing it in future projects, it’s a good focal point. My home is so bare right now that even I had to admit my cleaning out may have went a little over the top. However I told my husband we can actually dance in the house now so it’s not all bad. Thanks for stopping by – always nice to hear from you and let me know when you want to come out here, we can have a fun workshop day!!

5. This fall decor is beautiful! Thank you for sharing on The Homesteader Hop!!

6. Tracy Lynn says:

Hi!
    I just saw your post on the Blog Hop and just had to stop by. I love your milk jug makeover. So simple and it looks great! I love the look of just whitewashing it and letting the rust show through a bit. That would fit in perfectly in my home. 🙂

Thanks for stopping by Tracy! I’m loving this milk jug too and if you can believe it I was on the phone with a friend when I painted it -which means super easy to do. Glad you like it and hope you take a moment to check out some of my other fun projects.

7. Love the old painted milk jug!

8. debbie says:

a super cute outdoor fall vignette! The burlap ribbon did make a huge difference on the milk can.