Grow The Best Bell Peppers

Back in the spring I planted Bell peppers, a lot actually and they’re still producing.  I’m not sure what I was thinking because with 9 plants and two varieties they grew beyond expectations.

These are by far the best bell peppers this garden has ever produced.

grow-the-best-bell-peppers-2

What was the key factor that pushed these peppers beyond expectations?  We’re going to take a look at what I did.

• Plants were started February by seed indoors.
  • Weeks later after the last freeze I transplanted each one into a new 2 x 4 raised bed.
  • The raised beds were established with fresh tilled soil from the garden.
  • Each bed was layered with a lot of direct compost and llama droppings in April.
  • They had access to direct sunlight everyday!

After they were transplanted they grew for weeks and somewhere towards the middle of June I started seeing peppers.  When temperatures started to cool in October the plants still continued producing.

grow-the-best-bell-peppers-3

The Freezer is full and I eat them with lunch and dinner almost every day and let’s just say I’m bell peppered out.  I also want to add that I’ve read peppers won’t survive with temperatures below 65 degrees…..

Evenings have been cooler in the 50’s and 60’s and guess what they’re still producing.

So how do you grow the best ever Bell Peppers?

grow-the-best-bell-peppers

Make sure to prep new or existing raised beds with the right nutrients and the results will knock your socks off.  I have a three step process that keeps my garden successful every season and it goes a little like this.

• Fertilize with Natural elements – dried leafs, pine needles, sticks you name it.
  • Fertilize with animal droppings – Llama and sheep are my favorite.
  • Direct Compost – Grandma got it right all so long ago and I just keep following the plan.

grow-the-best-bell-peppers-4

Future tips for next time I would add wire cages for additional support.  I’m going to let these beauties continue growing for another week and then it will be time to begin removing plants so I can start fertilizing these beds all over again.

The key to growing the best of anything is amending that soil, season after season.

Learn to grow amazing bell peppers with just a few simple tips that allow you to harvest all the way through fall#BellPeppers, #GardenTips

These peppers are gorgeous and your photos are stunning! I’ve had a few years of amazing peppers and yes, they also produced long after the temperatures were supposed to be too low. One year it became a game to see just how long they would last. In fact, with a predicted low one night, I picked them all off. Then it warmed up again and they put on new blooms! Our first freeze was truly the last straw for them, but I was so surprised by how well they did until then. Peppers are amazing and I love growing them. We’ve had fun with both sweet and hot varieties.

I love your soil tips and think that’s so important to emphasize. The quality of your produce is only as good as your soil. You’ve certainly got that mastered. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and gorgeous peppers!

Thanks Karen on all counts and can you believe I’m still using my Canon PowerShot? I love that camera and do plan after we move to upgrade. Just don’t have the time to learn something new right now. If you want to know my secret plugin for images sent me a message. So yes these peppers are something and I think today I’m going to harvest and share with the neighbors because I’m peppered out. That soil and quality produce go hand in hand. Have a Great weekend.

2. Robin Platter says:

Hi Carole, I hope your Doing well and I wanted to say keep on growing those Bell Peppers. Your so right on prep and starting the plants early to get a crop. Bye for now Robin

Hello Robin,
      I should probably just keep those plants going as long as they’re producing we’re getting ready to sell this farm and would be inspiring for others to see. Thanks for sharing!

3. Charlene Dryman says:

It’s funny I came across your article today, because I am outside pulling up some of my banana peppers. I didn’t have the heart to pull my bells up yet. I live in Texas too on the Galveston coast. I have a 4 x 4 bed with 5 banana pepper plants that I usually leave until Dec or Jan. My husband took that one over. I also have a 16 x 16 bed with 4 planting rows full of jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, and bell peppers. I pulled up all the regular jalapenos and left my husbands giant jalapenos. I know in time I will have to pull them up, to make room for my cauliflower, broccoli, and cabbage. It just seems so hot yet. Our temps have been in the mid 70’s in the morning and 80’s in the evening. I guess I will use this heat to add nutrients to the part of the garden that I just uncovered. Happy Gardening.

Hello Charlene – Fellow Texan! I’m up north east of Dallas and it seems warmer here too. My fall beds are loving that additional warmth so I guess I can’t complain maybe I’ll have broccoli soon. Need to coax the chickens to the garden though because something is munching away at my lettuce. Always a great time to add nutrients to the soil, funny this is actually my favorite part because it’s a reminder that everything begins with a good foundation. Have a great weekend.

oh, we love bell peppers! we also eat them all the time. I grew some when we lived in our cabin when I first moved to NC. Your pictures make them look so yummy!

These are yummy I just have way more than I need at the moment. I think they do best in temperatures from 70-80’s. I have been snacking on them because they’re so nice and crisp. Love that..

5. Look at the size of those plants! I’ve got some serious bell pepper eaters here. Now that my baby isn’t such a baby anymore, I may try a raised bed or two this spring.

I’m telling you I think I may just focus on peppers because after getting really creative with cooking with them I’m beginning to really enjoy that flavor. Mixed with jalapeno their amazing!! These just went crazy in those new raised beds.

6. Maria says:

They are gorgeous! I’m doing an experiment this winter. I started some bellpeppers inside, and later planted them in bigger pots, with tomato cages around, in an unheated greenhouse. We live in CA, and I am hoping that it’s going to be warm enough for them. So far we’re having very warm weather, and they are growing.

Good idea – this year for some reason I went all out with peppers and as a result I have found some great ways to cook with them. Love your idea and I bet you should do really well with them as long as you bring them indoor or cover them up if it gets too cool. They say anything under 60 degrees is harsh but I still haven’t covered and they’re doing amazing. Fall gardening really is fun!!

7. A lot of people say that okra is the best-growing garden crop in Oklahoma, but it’s bell peppers! At least in my garden, where okra isn’t planted in the first place. Peppers are always my best crop.

Hey Kathi how are you? Secret…I don’t like okra either, that fuzzy texture freaks me out. Our weather has been amazing and my peppers are still producing which is fantastic. I’ve had so much fun growing peppers this year. So I told my husband after we move and finally get settled I want to have a huge garden where I can grow all types of peppers. They’re so good for you too.

1. I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t like okra; I feel like I’m unpatriotic or something! Peppers ARE so good for you. I’ve grown paprika, cayenne and other specialty peppers too. They must love our weather.