Pansy Growing Tips

The pansy is one of my favorite potted plants and each Fall I wait for the moment when they’re available at the nursery.  Pansies offer a nice variety of color from traditional yellow and orange; the hardest part during that initial purchase is choosing the right colors.

pansy-growing-tips-2

I almost skipped purchasing this fall because I didn’t need more plants to take care of.   But I had this planter to fill and pansies with ivy and pine cones seemed like the perfect match.  I bet you have an empty planter too and a batch of pansy plants would be the perfect fit.

This time around I went to Lowes where racks of clearance pansies looked amazing.  Since it was pretty late in the season I snagged four different colors and with excitement and hurried home to fill this planter box.

pansy-growing-tips-5

Pansies are normally planted in small seed starter containers so they need to be transplanted right away.  This took me to our garden where six deep 4 inch recycled containers were available.

The garden pansy is a blooming hybrid for cooler seasons; this is why they’re available in the fall, late winter and early spring.  This annual can be tricky to keep blooming through winter but if you live in the warmer states you know it’s possible even after a freeze to keep them blooming, especially if planted in a protected area.

I chose to transplant these pansies under the eve of the house in 4 inch containers.

Transplanting Pansies in Containers

Pansies need good drainage because it’s easy for them to get water logged.

First fill the bottom of each container with natural elements, this took me to the rose bed where I grabbed fall leaves and dirt.

Once the bottom was full I added plants and filled the gaps with more dirt.

pansy-growing-tips

Provide Pansies with plenty of sun and shade so they continue blooming and offer a good feed over the winter months. This is easy to do with the following recommendations.

• Keep soil moist and do not over water.
  • Remove faded blooms.
  • Fertilize during the winter.
  • Transplant if necessary to larger pots.

If you live in the northern part of the country pansies may wither away by December if temperatures become severe.

pansy-growing-tips-4

I’m pretty sure this display will continue to bloom as long as I remember to water and add fertilizer.

My final tip is for those who raise chickens is keep pansies out of their reach. Chickens love to eat pansies; they will devour a plant right down to the base in a matter of minutes.

I refused to give up enjoying these cute flowers so I plant them in the backyard where the chickens are never allowed unless I’m overseeing.  Hanging planters would also be another good option.

The Pansy is an easy flower to grow and it’s my hope you can enjoy these plants from now till next spring.

Grow amazing pansies with these simple growing tips from fall through winter. #Pansyflowers, #GrowingTips

Good Morning Carole,
    What great tips to share with your readers. Living in our mild climate we are fortunate to be able to plant these happy and colorful flowers and have them thrive throughout the Winter. I planted a few myself a couple of weeks ago-guess I need to see how they are doing, I forgot all about them!
    When you mentioned that you snagged a few on the sale rack, I smiled. Such a savvy way to purchase plants. I have done that too with house plants and have had tremendous luck with the “Charlie Brown,” plants.
    Everything looks great around your home and inside too. I have been thinking about you and your big move.
    Your talents shine!
    Have a beautiful and glorious sunshine filled day.
    Hugs,

Funny thing I was actually at the checkout when I noticed that clearance rack and exchanged my plants for the Charlie Brown specials. I just don’t like seeing good things go to waste and if I can save a dollar or two in the process why not. (Another tip grandma taught me.) Hoping for nice weather this weekend as I think we may do some fencing at the new property, at least get the posts in the ground. A change of scenery sounds like a good idea so hope the weather cooperates. Enjoy today – it’s gorgeous out there!!

2. You’ve just encouraged me to keep trying to keep flowers blooming year around!

Our west coast is super mild, so I know it’s possible. But… now to remember to water… that, not so much.

Love your raised planter box idea!

That tall raised bed is sweet so when we move stay tuned because you’ll be seeing more of those. So here’s a thought a small hanging planter box for your porch, would be super easy to take care of and I think you would really enjoy it. Just a thought thanks for stopping by!!

3. i love that set up with the pinecones! i tried doing pansies this year, but i don’t seem to be getting any flowers. maybe the squirrels are eating them? they’re certainly digging in my pots!
    b

Squirrels and pansies that’s interesting not sure because we have squirrels and they don’t seem to be interested in the flowers around here. Think they are finding treats in the pine cones instead which we have a lot of. Try fertilizing them they may just need a little boost.

Hi Carole, I love pansies! In the past I’ve planted them at the cabin in the baskets we have hung on the porch. They seem to do well there with little attention. I haven’t figured it out yet…our plants at the cabin with no attention grow like crazy! Any thoughts on something for my double wash tub for over the winter?

Yes Drill some holes for drainage and plant an herb bed in it. If you were closer I would give you some awesome starters. I believe if you begin with herbs it will be something that will inspire future gardening ideas. The cabin it could be the soil lots of natural elements always working back into the soil makes a big difference. Compare properties for sunlight and such but most of all compare the soil.

5. angie says:

we used to buy my mother pansies when I was a kid they were perfect cool weather mothers day and later in the fall. So very pretty I have blogged about pansies before as well. Thanks for sharing
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

6. Charlene Dryman says:

I have pansy’s also. They are so beautiful. Your display is beyond beautiful. Did I miss seeing your new house? The land is awesome. I bet you can’t wait to get plowing and planting. Have you moved your animals yet?

Hello Charlene, All the pansies are here left over from winter are enjoying this amazing spring we’ve been blessed with. We haven’t moved yet and I’m in love with this land I can’t even tell you how rejuvenating it is. I’m very excited about getting the garden in there. I have bed frames built and the soil where were clearing is amazing!!! I ended up selling our Sheep, llama an chickens when we were in contract over the winter and I released the quail. When that fizzled things got really quiet around here. Just Dixie and the emus and it still remains that way. Everybody including Robert and I are still on the small farm but we’re working our way to the next property. Hoping to have a clear update by the end of the month.