This month I decided to make a stenciled sign using a fence board and a pack of letter stencils from Hobby Lobby.
If you already have wood and paint at home then your project will be less than $10. Let’s take a look at the supply list and dive into the details to make your own Farmhouse sign.
- One 6 Ft Cedar Fence Board from any Home improvement Store – $1.85
- Letter Stencils from Hobby Lobby – $6.99
- Acrylic Paint any craft store, choose black for letters and a color for paint staining – $1.00 (when on sale)
Additional DIY Tools & Accessories
I’m going to assume you already have these basic DIY items at home so you may need to go rummage through the garage or craft space first.
- Electric Sander with sand paper
- Paint brush
Dixie doodle was hanging out with me during step one waiting for a treat; when I grabbed the saw she left and headed to the pasture to hunt. She’s my new farm shadow and I’ve been enjoying her company.
This step is easy; we’re going to cut the wood to the appropriate length. If you’re sticking with Farmhouse then the board will need to be at least 2.5 feet.
- After the board is cut sand both sides and the edges until smooth.
- I did a Paint Stain with white, that technique can be found here or you can leave the board natural.
- After it dries prepare your letters for stenciling. How to Stencil with success can be found here.
Stenciling is a matter of making sure your brush is dry or as I like to say, less is best. Because we’re adding letters one at a time make sure they’re aligned so each one is straight. You can do this by placing a faint dot or line on the wood for each letter prior to stenciling.
This sign should dry pretty quickly and then it’s time to figure out where you want to display it. I played around with mine in the yard but later I took it indoors and placed it on the wall above my desk.
Since we started with a 6 ft fence board you have enough leftover wood to make another sign. So have fun with this easy project and make it your own.