Wheels for Mobile Chicken Coops

Mobile Chicken Coop Wheels

It’s no secret when I’m raising chickens, mobile coops are preferred.  I’ve been asked many times why and the answer is always the same.  I just can’t stand cleaning up after chickens, their poo is perfectly rank and it gives me a headache.

There are additional reasons why I like mobile coops and they can be discovered here.

Building a mobile coop is the easy part; and this design compliments an earlier project you can find here.

This new coop is a little smaller and I moved the nesting box .  I’m still trying to decide if I like that because with a smaller flock I could just put nesting boxes inside.

Wheels for a Mobile Chicken Coop

Finding Wheels for Mobile Chicken Coops

Wheels are a very important mobile detail because once it’s finished the structure is heavy.  Moving without wheels would be difficult unless you created some type of slide motion by pulling with a three-wheeler.  Since that wasn’t an option here I stuck with wheels.

We use a hard wheel base tire because you never have to be concerned with them getting punctured.  Simple things like thorns from bois d arc trees can put holes in a tire immediately.

Homestead Printables

We’ve shopped everywhere and prices for just one hard wheel tire is ridiculous…

It’s very common to spend $100 just on wheels so when I built this coop I decided it was time to venture past the farm stores to see what I could find.

I discovered 5-inch hard wheels on a swivel at Northern Tool for $8.00 each; they were having a BOGO sale so I hit the jackpot.  I’m going to guess you can get an even better price at Harbor Freight as their prices are also reasonable and they normally have a larger inventory.

Securing the Tires onto the Chicken Coop

Securing the tires is pretty simple but you have to plan during the building process.  I used 4 x 4’s cut to fit the inside bottom of the coop frame.  They work like support beams connected from the frame using screws.

The wheels are bolted in place with a hand socket and heavy-duty screws.  I drilled pilot holes first prior to inserting the screws to keep the wood from splitting, this little detail is so important!

Mobile Chicken Coop

Once the wheels were attached it was time to push the coop and see if these wheels were up to moving this mobile coop.  They worked like a charm and I really like the swivel because it makes navigation a breeze.  You can also purchase wheels with a foot lock if you prefer.

This chicken coop is ready for the new property and my tools can officially be loaded up for storage.  The big question is this, “What type of Egg Layers should I choose?”

Learn the benefits of mobile chicken coops and how to attach hard wheels so it's easy to use. #Chickencoop, #mobilechickencoop

5 garden tips for weed removal

Great idea. Having a mobile coop and the right wheels makes total sense. I am finding more and more people wanting to raise chickens, even in my suburban neighborhood. In fact, my husband said our neighbors must have just purchased some because he hears them in the morning. I’ll have to investigate and share your sight for a good reference.

I just can’t stand cleaning up after chickens so the mobile concept is a gem. After I finished this coop I kind of asked myself what am I thinking getting chickens again but I miss fresh eggs and they’re great for depleting bugs. The right breed chickens are a neat addition for a little self reliance but if truth be told I prefer quail… Just can’t open free range those beauties..

2. HI Carole! How exciting! I love the idea of mobile coop. Hey, My cousin downsized her lifestyle and now posts on from gucci to goats on instagram! She now runs a farm and has great posts! have a great weekend! laura

Great Instagram title – I bet she’s having a great time, goats are busy animals.

3. RONALD ANTINORA says:

I LOVE THE SHED !! ALSO, WHERE DID YOU GET THE FLOWER STENCIL ??? IT’S GREAT!! LET US KNOW !!
    THANKS,
    RON

Thank you Ron – I made this coop from scrap wood so this time around there was no building plans but it is very similar to the one in Backyard Poultry/ spring issue. The stencil is from cutting edge. You might like this example https://www.gardenupgreen.com/2017/01/winter-challenge-stenciled-chicken-coop.html

-I used it originally in this chicken coop project last winter.

4. RONALD ANTINORA says:

THANKS, CAROLE

This is such a brilliant idea. The only chicken “tractor” we had was huge! It was directly on the ground and to move it, we either hitched it to a tractor or the trailer hitch on our van and drug it along. It always amazed me how the girls knew exactly what to do when their home began moving. We planned to make a much smaller one next time, but so far “next time” has not yet come.

I love the idea of a portable chicken house. It was always so amazing to watch the grass rebound after we moved the chickens. I have never (nor have I since) seen such gorgeous grass – free and exceptional fertilizer.

My girls were Buff Orpingtons and I loved their calm and gentle nature – and especially those rich brown eggs! I kind of miss having them again, myself.

Thank you Karen and yes our first tractor was tire free and moving it was something else. I love the buffs too – that’s what I had with our last flock not sure if what direction I’ll go into next. Just today…. I said to Robert… Now we have to move it – so maybe I’ll try and sell then build another one at the new location. I just had a building bug and needed to release it. Hope you’re weekend is great..