A Terracotta Fairy Garden

Terracotta Fairy Garden with pots

For a long time, I’ve wanted to make a fairy garden.  When the Fall Capper’s Farmer magazine  published I had this terracotta serving tray that I thought would be the perfect fairy prop.

With spring right around the corner, I decided to take my Mary Engelbreit fairies and combine them with this tray. I’m not sure if this is really a garden but it’s a cute way to display potted plants and other fun elements that I already had.

Mary Engelbreit Fairies

Meet Eva and GiGi

Before I could entertain the idea of a fairy garden I needed to find some cute fairies that were simple, when I came across Eva and GiGi I knew they would be perfect.  That was almost a year ago and my original plans had them headed towards a planter box.

Which made me think they could be traveling fairies; it’s possible you may see Eva and GiGi in future projects.  For now, they’re enjoying the view of terracotta land.

Terracotta Land putting the pieces together

Terracotta Land

Terracotta land is a place where texture and copper are blended with natural elements.  Eva and GiGi find this destination relaxing and colorful, not a place to stay forever but long enough to witness the beauty of wild life in the process.

Fairy Garden with Bird Seed

They stand comfortably on a bed of seed and hide between the jar rings when the birds arrive to eat.  To be up close and personal is like a magical experience but it reminds them life is a journey and peace is found in God’s creations.

Potted Plants and Copper Twist

After filling each saucer with bird seed I added three types of plants, candy tuft, viola and cilantro. Together they’re pure enjoyment and fill the air with beauty.

The care and love for these plants includes full sun and because it’s still winter they’ll be brought indoors if temperatures drop below freezing.

The copper twist wraps around circling the top with a loop and hangs onto the saucer base.  Additional copper and canning lids were combined for interest and before long it was time to go outside and see what the birds thought.

Terracotta Fairy Garden

Within minutes of placing the Terracotta fairy garden on a nearby table outdoors the birds inspected and enjoyed their new destination.  Eva an Gigi giggled in the mix and because their voices are soft the birds didn’t even notice them hiding in the rings.

As they occupy this little garden display through the rest of winter it won’t be long before these fairies are inspired to move on to a new haven.

For instructions to make this two-tier tray they can be found in the fall 2017 issue of Capper’s Farmer Magazine.

Terracotta Fairy Garden Display

Oh my gosh. How adorable. I think it definitely qualifies as a Fairy Garden and a beautiful centerpiece and an all around sweet decor piece. This would make a wonderful Mother’s Day gift which will be here before you know it. Pinning it to make later.

Thank you Patti – I needed a diversion, winter gets me down and around Valentines I get antsy for potted plants. I agree great for Mother’s day, would be neat for Easter too. The birds are loving it. Not quite sure where Eva and GiGi will end up next but I think they’re going to be well traveled fairies.

2. Penny says:

You have done it again..! Love Love Love it ……..it is wonderful, best fairy garden I have seen, I like the every day as I call it, fairy garden, but I like to be different, and this is different, and it is me…… Carol, your amazing……😊 How do you come up with these ideas..? Keep it up…… I look forward to getting your emails, thanks again for the inspiration 😊 P.S. It is very Hot here in Australia at the moment, enjoy your winter.

Hello Penny – This was the first email I opened this morning and it just made me smile big! I honestly believe it’s my environment and relationship with God that inspires everything I do. Probably sounds strange but something about being outside fills my heart in a way that’s energizing. This project in particular was more of a diversion, it’s been raining off and on and dreary days are draining… Originally I wanted to do a traditional fairy garden but these figurines look like travelers and I thought it would be more fun to share their journey once in awhile… Not sure where they’re headed next but I’m sure something neat will spark once spring gets here. I’m thinking something with logs maybe? I told Robert is it possible to have a second childhood? LOL – Have a great week and enjoy that sunshine! Carole

3. Christine says:

That’s a great idea, I love bird watching and also watching the squirrels too. They are characters around here. Gorgeous fairy garden, I love the copper accents!

Copper accents are the best..

4. Stacey says:

This is so adorable, Carole!

5. Linda says:

Cutest thing ever. No more canning with those lids.

Well you know I’m not one to can much, did a lot of that growing up and think I got burned out…

6. Patricia says:

Carole, your fairie garden is lovely! I especially loved your imaginative monologue, I think you would make a wonderful writer for children’s books!

Ps . . was wondering what size saucers you used?

Thank you this was just a fun project that allowed me to share a unique journey as well. Still trying to think about where those fairies are headed next. Children’s books? I may have to think about that… Those saucers are 8 and 9 inch – you could use any size.

7. barbara says:

Cute decoration but don’t see purpose of jar rings

No purpose at all for the jar rings- I had them and thought they look neat in the mix of everything…