Clearing Quail Garden for More Light

Clearing Quail Garden for More Light

When the Quail location was chosen in October, everything was still pretty green even with the seasons changing. Back then this area was an over grown mess, but I knew it was perfect for raising quail because it’s at the highest level and you can see the sanctuary from the private road.  View the before here.

Much like every project around here it begins with cutting down trees; I really thought when we did our first clear and burn here we wouldn’t need to do much more.  Boy was I wrong because the quail garden was desperate for additional light.

Welcome the Light

This week Robert was a gem and cut down some trees to welcome the light.  The beds have been prepped and planted and the ground has also been raised with new dirt.  This took several wheelbarrow loads but in a couple hours we had it done.

We also planted new grass seed but unfortunately everything was growing at a slow pace because there wasn’t enough light.  To grow most vegetables successfully you need at least 6 – 8 hours of sunlight a day.

Bringing in more sunlight was necessary if we expect this garden to produce. The beds are planted with sweet peas, Roma tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, bell peppers and carrots.  I think there might be room for a few more additions because I completely forgot about cucumbers.

Remove Trees to bring in the Light

Getting Started

Getting started was a breeze because I just had to point out the removal trees and Robert took care of the rest.  He’s been a huge help with this project and I’m blessed because the idea of tackling this alone was less than exciting.

A lot has been accomplished including getting the wood stained and now all those worthless trees are gone too.

Burning the remains

Get Ready to Burn

The burning never seems to end so we used this clearing activity to help burn those large tree trunks I pointed out in last week’s video.  They’re still burning at a very slow pace….

So, what’s left to do on the Quail Sanctuary before I can actually get some birds to occupy this space?

More Light to help the garden grow

The Checklist

There are a few more things to do and I can’t decide if this checklist is getting smaller or larger?  We’re making progress so that’s where my focus surrenders.  Doesn’t this space already look better with those trees gone?

1. Robert will cut the top posts so they’re even up top.
  2. We’ll add the Sanctuary roof and close in the walls with chicken wire.
  3. I’ll Frame in and build the door and finish staining and add more grass seed.
  4. We’ll finishing raising the ground around the exterior with more dirt.
  5. Finally, sweet bobwhite quail will arrive and then we just maintain.

Now I’d like to invite you to view the bird park.  This is where I’ll be raising quail, welcoming wild birds and maybe even raise a few chickens.  But I have to tell you I’m thinking a few ducks might be a fun idea as well.

I’m discovering when we let more light shine the heart transmits happy thoughts and for me light and nature is peace on earth. Have a terrific weekend everyone and don’t forget to say hello.

Clearing Quail Garden for More Light

We're Helping Others Do More

Love the bird park! I think I need to make some of those bird houses. We have all kinds of birds here, as we kept them well-fed.

Enjoy your happy place!

Those bird houses are so fun the tutorial is on my blog under projects. I am enjoying that space but really just this entire project is pretty happy…

2. Robert Egert says:

You mentioned getting some ducks. We had a dozen ducks a few years ago and really enjoyed them. I don’t remember the breed but they were semi-wild in that they hung around the property and pond but flew off from time to time, circled the property and came back to the pond. A lot of fun to watch.

We had ducks at the farm, mallards. Raised them from ducklings and watched them fly away in the fall… It was a fantastic experience so I’m thinking but who knows. Quail are my first priority… Over at big creek lake there is a pair of geese with their babies and normally in the early morning they sit at the edge neat Oats place. It’s been fun watching them and making me think at our next place we definitely will want a pond instead of a creek.

Wow, I could just jump right into that bird park with you! What a fantastic idea and it’s so neat to actually get to see it in your video; the birds happily chirping in the background was perfect. The custom-made benches will be a great addition, I am sure.

Ducks are just wonderful. One of our boys wanted them so badly when he was little and we did get one for him. Sadly, it was just totally missing one day – without a trace. He still laments that cute little duckling. 🙁

Your property is really coming along beautifully, Carole. I can’t wait to see more from your garden space as the sun really does its work now. And if it’s the same in Texas as in Alabama, there’s super warm (hot!) temperatures headed in just next week! Hope your weekend is amazing!

Thanks Karen – kind of a labor of love out here. Enjoying the blessings and remembering to be thankful at the same time. Yes the warm temperatures have arrived and it seems we jump into hot in a matter of minutes. It’s all good and wishing you a Happy Mother’s Day!! Hugs…

Love your inspiring words Carole and you are such a natural on camera. Lovely bird park! Almost a sanctuary. Not sure about the pretty shrub but now you have me curious.

Thank you Patti – it’s warming up here so I’m inside this afternoon organizing my workshop space. I’m curious about that shrub too – think I may have to go on a google hunt…

5. It’s really coming along great! Good call on cutting those trees. I love trees, but you can’t grow veggies under a canopy.

Amen to that… Thinking today might be a good day to light up that burn pile next.