The Finished Quail Sanctuary

Finished Quail Sanctuary

The quail sanctuary is finished, can you believe it? This task involved several months and I love to say it was like an adventure but the reality is it felt more like a journey, a very long journey…

There were many breaks as the months went on and then last week a cold front swept through; what a neat surprise!

So, Robert and I decided now was the time to complete the quail sanctuary.

Let’s take a look at this journey just in case you missed it.

Choosing Quail Habitat Location

Choosing the Location

This takes us to last October while scoping a sanctuary space. The perfect spot surfaced after some clearing and months later in the middle of winter we installed posts, Robert cut the trees, dug 2 ft. holes and I installed.

This space was a good pick and it will be neat for Quail Grove residents as they drive by.  You can’t really see the sanctuary from the County Road but once you’re on the private road the opportunity to take a peak when driving by will be a little perk.

Quail Sanctuary at Quail Grove

Going with a Natural Look

Deciding to go with a natural look involved using tree posts.  I love the look but what a pain and part of the reason finishing took so much time.  With all that being said, it does fit perfectly so my vision was spot on.

About a month later raised beds were installed because this time around we’re raising quail in a garden atmosphere.

Things started to take shape so the next gradual step was to frame in the sanctuary with 2 x 4’s. This was in April after a lot of rain and clean up from a very cold winter.

Clearing Quail Garden for More Light

Focusing on the Garden Element

From there it seemed like we had some momentum, the clock was ticking and we had many additional things going on. One being a lack of focus on my part.

I planted the raised beds late only to find out later we needed to remove more trees to bring in additional light.  After clearing for more light, the garden took off so the next step was to add chicken wire.

Then in June I found myself waiting for the right moment or burst of energy to close in the sanctuary.

I kept putting it off and before long July arrived with 100-degree temperatures.  This is when I realized it could be fall before this sanctuary would be completed.  I felt like a failure and got pretty down about my lack of focus.

Then I remembered that every Texas summer between July and August there is always a cool front.  Sometimes it can last a single day. other times it may linger for several.  This year it came last week and it lasted through Thursday.

When I say cool that means morning temperatures in the 70’s and afternoons in the low 90’s.  It was Amazing!

Quail Sanctuary

Finish the Quail Sanctuary

We decided to finish the quail sanctuary and each morning we closed in one section at a time.  When Thursday arrived the quail, habitat was done and I spent that morning staining.

It looks great and I’m so glad we went with an 8 ft. x 24 ft. space because this will be easy to manage and still allow for opportunity to learn more as I raise bobwhites in a garden setting.

Quail Space

Sanctuary Test

Before we bring in bobwhite quail we’ll test this sanctuary with a few baby chicks and a couple keets.  (Chickens and Guineas)

We need to reintroduce Dixie to her duties and make sure this space is ready for quail.  Once these birds are fully feathered they’ll transition into free range birds and house in their own chicken coop at night. This should be 2 months or less.

This will also give me time to fill in the low spots around the exterior and hopefully get grass planted in September.  So, the process continues and next spring the sound of quail will be present at Quail Grove.

For my quail readers, the fun has just begun and you can expect a whole new series that begins with raising quail and gardening together.

If you’re thinking about quail for your homestead then I’m your gal.  I’ve been raising quail since the beginning of Garden Up Green in a natural environment with great success.

I wrote the book, Quail Getting Started for beginners and you’ll find an assortment of articles about quail right here on the blog. So, buckle up because I’m bringing this experience to a whole new level of amazing.

Nature Inspired Quail Sanctuary - walk through the process to make your own. #Quail, #Homesteading

Job well done! It looks so inviting! I love the natural tree posts!

Congrats on a great finished project. The sanctuary is beautiful! I love that you kept it natural looking and even though I don’t raise quail, I really enjoy reading about your adventures.

So nice to have it done. Few more little things to do and on the top tree post we didn’t cut, I’m putting a birdhouse there.

3. Bob Egert says:

I agree with your attitude regarding Mondays. Back in the day when I was working in the corporate world we would all drag ourselves to work on Monday after a weekend of heavy work and recreation, dreading the work week ahead. But eventually I changed my attitude about Mondays and realized it is closer to Friday and another weekend. So I began to enjoy Mondays and every day of the week. Now, however, Monday is just another day of the week as I do not answer to a clock or a calendar, just a very long list of “things to do”.

I knew you would get that! So my Robert runs into that whole… “what day is it?” I guess because I’m still on a calendar I’m pretty focused on the day of the week so I try to embrace it with a positive attitude. We’ll all have to go have lunch one afternoon somewhere, you know if you can put those things to do aside… Have a great week and hello to your better half. 🙂 -Carole

4. It looks fantastic! I absolutely love it. It makes me wish I could start over and rebuild our chicken habitats.

re: quail
    I think we’re going to sell our Japanese quail. They’re nice birds, but not what we were expecting. Still it was a good learning experience.

Thank you Maria – I’m excited about this project and after the test run with chickens I’ll finally get the quail. If you don’t want to raise those quail then just meat them, here is a how to. >https://www.gardenupgreen.com/2017/01/how-to-harvest-quail-for-meat.html

5. Penny says:

Congrats on a Great job…..
    a great read as per usual, Thankyou 😊
    We all have low energy times, and get derailed by things, But “it is a Great person who finishes the project 😊 than the one who walks away… “
    Feel vey Great about what you both have achieved. I love the natural look 👀😊

Thank you for the encouragement Penny. That really made my day and hope all is well your way. I agree the natural look seems to fit perfectly.

6. Melinda says:

I love your quail sanctuary and wish that I had one, but have to know… how do you keep rodents and pests out with only chicken wire? I have quail and chickens now all literally against my house, because when they were further out in the yard rodents would kill them. I used 1/4 inch hardwire mesh on everything and dug it into the ground around the coop, have multiple large outdoor dogs, rodent-proof chicken feeders, and everything is inside a fenced in yard with 6′ solid wood fence… and still have to be very vigilant. We have 2 wooded acres that backs up to wilderness, so rats/mice will be impossible to completely eliminate, but I do my best to control the situation as finding murdered quail is heartbreaking. Any tips you have would be appreciated since I have the room and desire to make a similar structure, but don’t want to build a sanctuary then inadvertently make it a buffet for the wildlife.

I don’t leave the food out, that is the biggy. If rodents are showing up it’s for food. I feed quail on a schedule- morning and evening to encourage a free range diet. I also release a few bobwhites to help repopulate so it’s important for them to free range in addition to crumble which is why the chicken wire is important because the bugs can still get in. We have huge grasshoppers and the quail love them.

I have a guard dog who patrols the exterior and believe her scent detours a lot of common problems most face.

Honestly I’ve never had an issue with rodents, that could change as we’ve relocated and behind that sanctuary past the fence is a wooded area we still have to clear. Which will begin when the temperatures cool. Since this post I’ve made an addition that you may find helpful should be sharing that on Thursday.

I basically do a lot of evaluation, implement common sense and problem solve from there. Try a feeding schedule that may help and perhaps set traps outside your set up.