Building a Bridge on the Homestead

Bridge takes us to the bird park

Robert and I love our lifestyle, the simplicity of nature is fantastic even if sometimes it presents a few setbacks. For every hang up we face, a solution follows and that’s because Robert is a smart man.

What I mean by that is he’s wired to fix problems and find solutions. He’s never negative and he’s always pushing forward to find the best possible outcome.  His brain is simply wired to solve problems and move forward which is one of the things I love most about him, he’s what I call a true leader.

Let’s take this bridge for instance, when we purchased this property the creek was empty and for most of the year it remains that way unless it rains.

I immediately imagined a bridge going over the creek because I knew it would look amazing.

Robert's Bridge Project

So, last spring he came up with a plan to build a bridge and in an afternoon his plan gave us this floating path to what is now our bird park.

This park is where wild birds visit, chickens’ free range and eventually where we’ll raise quail.  Without the bridge this piece of land would be useless when the creek is full of water.

I love walking over the bridge because it’s sturdy and safe, sometimes I even sit on the edge and watch frogs jump in the water.

We skipped railings because I wanted the freedom to haul stuff over, basically I didn’t want railings getting in the way of progress.

The best part about this platform is you can build it in an afternoon.  I was actually shocked when Robert got started because in less than 4 hours it was done and ready for me to stain.

Bridge Building Plans

He sketched his plans on scratch paper and purchased wood prior so getting started was a breeze.  Every successful project begins with a plan and I worked by his side documenting the journey so I could write building plans. They’re available now in our Homestead printables here.

These instructions include step by step details that are easy to follow with visual application.  You can even use treated lumber if you want to skip staining because it was a little time-consuming applying stain and I actually got stuck in the creek during the process.

Bridge over the creek

Building a homestead bridge was the perfect solution to cross the creek year-round.  The creek is currently wet after heavy rains took over this week and we also received about 2 more feet of new top soil.

This soil washes out from the farm fields, down through the County Road, washing through the culverts and filling up the creek.  I’m going to guess it also makes its way to the lake where we sometimes go fishing.

We’ve spent a lot of time digging out this soil for filling in the low areas.  It seems to never end but we can’t complain because it’s easy to remove once things dry.

So if you have an area on your land that could use a bridge then get these easy to follow plans and create an inviting space just like we did here.

Building a Bridge on the Homestead allowed us access over a creek to our Bird Park. Get these simple building plans by clicking here. #Homestead, #CreekBridge, #DIY

We're Helping Others Do More

Love this solution, so practical! And it adds a bit of fun to the homestead. Great job, Robert!

Yes it is a bit of fun to this space, we’ve even danced on this bridge…

2. Cd Loken says:

Robert sounds a lot like my hubby. They have this incredible ability to take a vision in their head and make it reality in no time at all. Roberts vision turned out amazing!! What a practical and beautiful solution. I’m so sorry friend for all the rain you are getting. We had a spell like that earlier this summer. It can really wear on you. Wishing you and Robert and oh yes Dixie a wonderful weekend!!😀

Yes Robert is Mr. Fix it… Funny story when the kids were little and they would break a toy he would say… “Don’t worry I can fix it.” Which they thought was amazing so it became this ritual that every time he came home from work they would run down the stairs and say, “Dad, can you fix it.” Because they actually started breaking stuff on purpose…. Sigh… So, finally he said you know, “if you stop breaking things we could actually spend this time doing something fun.” Fast forward yes he can take a vision and turn it into a reality within hours and I love that. Nothing get’s him down and nobody will ever be able to get in his way when it comes to moving forward. It’s taught me a lot over the years, a positive attitude is a gift and translates into so many aspects of our life. You have a wonderful weekend too and thank you for thinking of Dixie…

Oh your bridge is so pretty. Robert is one handy guy and I know this will be so helpful to many. Love your thoughts about keeping busy. Sometimes you just need to move through a bad mood or worry and keeping busy really helps.

Yes keeping busy – I told Robert just yesterday I can’t imagine being any other way and I believe that will keep me young in spirit, attitude and whatever else. This bridge has been amazing, Dixie was the first one to cross it when it was finished and she’s probably used it more than us. The bird park is a wonderful place.

4. It’s beautiful and strong! There’s something romantic about bridges. I wish I had a spot that could use a bridge. For me, I think we would have to have handrails. Too easy for us to slip.

Bridges are special and this one is super strong. So yes with all the rain it can get slippery – those boards are 4 feet wide and so far I haven’t fallen. Actually thought about adding grip strips but not sure I’d like the way that would look.

5. Margaret says:

Hubby did a great job on the bridge. It looks great. The stain gives it a special look. Next time hubby builds you a bridge to wonderland stain the pre-cut boards before he nails them to the runners that way you won’t get stuck in the creek. ENJOY !!!

I completely agree with you – was actually kind of funny and we laughed about it later. Fun project and I just love this addition.

6. kyra says:

It looks cute! And having a creek on your property is so enviable! I wish there was a catalog where I could order the “handy husband”. 🙂 I always have so many ideas and no one to carry them out.

A handy husband is a great thing -we like to work together which make a lot of our projects fun and interesting.