Inspiration to Move Blackberry Beds

Moving Blackberries to create a new space

Several months back I built new raised beds and transplanted blackberry plants we brought from the farm. Well after months of watching these beds struggle to fit in I decided their location wasn’t to my liking.

You see I had a vision to create a relaxing space that offered a green privacy wall with a fire pit and boy was I itching to get started.

But it was August then out of the blue the weather cooled for several days and I was inspired to act and began moving these beds to a new location.

Before Gravel Was added

Inspiration to Move Blackberry Plants

August is the worst time of year to transplant anything and it’s a huge no, no! So, what happens when inspiration strikes at the wrong time of year?  Well you wait till those cool evening hours arrive, grab a shovel and start moving dirt.

This project wasn’t something that happened overnight, it actually took me a couple weeks to get the beds moved because other things kept coming up that needed my attention.  I actually messed up some of the beds as I dragged them and had to flip a few of the outside boards.

Robert just looked at me and said, “you work too hard.” of course, I responded with, “Look who’s talking!”  I wouldn’t let him help either because I wanted to see this vision through by myself.

Adding Gravel

Adding Gravel

Once the beds were moved and the berries were transplanted it was time to order gravel.

It rained and then it rained some more which means we had to wait for the road to dry out before they could deliver.  So, another week went by and finally a dry weekend arrived.

Once the gravel arrived I started scooping wheel barrow loads to fill in the center.  I also blended the entrance to the RV with the rock walk path to join this entire space; it came together just as I knew it would and what a blessing.

Trailing Materials

Trellis Materials

Once the beds were moved and set in place the next step was to get these plants trailing.

Originally, I was going to use wood, then rope and ended up using wire.

The rope looked really neat but it’s been so humid I couldn’t get it pulled tight enough before it started sagging again; this led me to the wire which works great.

Wire was used for a Trellis

Adding the Wire

This was a very simple step and I added four strands to each raised bed at 13 in. a part; all you need is a drill with a bit and a pair of wire cutters.

• Measure the distance mark and drill holes on each side.
  • Thread the wire through and wrap around the end to connect.
  • Then pull tight and wrap around to the other side so you create a trellis.

Inspiration continues

Final pieces of inspiration

Dixie’s dog house also got a new paint job to match the shed and the next step is to decide on a fire pit and make a few more storage boxes that will also work as seating.  We’re all about dual purpose around here which has been fun.

I even added a couple solar lights at the end of two beds because it’s pretty dark when nightfall arrives.

Fun outdoor Space

To sum up I basically created a fun outdoor sitting area that will eventually include a fire pit with seating.  The blackberry beds were used to frame in the space and the plants will also work as a green privacy wall.

It’s really nice to wake up in the morning, walk outside and see this space first.  It makes me smile and reminds me that sometimes you can break a few gardening rules and end up with something pretty amazing.

If you like these  raise beds and want to build your own read here and get more tips on raising thornless blackberries here.

Use Blackberry Plants and raised beds to inspire an outdoor space with a privacy wall#Outdoorspace, #Blackberries, #RaisedBeds

1. It looks lovely!

I moved my blackberry plants a couple of weeks ago. They were wildly overgrowing the banks of my walkways, so I moved them to a less traveled area. Unfortunately, even though they’re still close to the house, they’ve been inviting deer over for a nibble. I lost the leaves off three of them, but they seem to be recovering. I’m hoping that planting lavender there next spring might keep deer away.

Do you have any recommendations for perennials that keep deer away?

Lavender is a good one – my friend Patti did a great right up on deer resistant plants I think you may enjoy.

You might be able to toss in some additional herbs that will work as double duty.

Thanks for the shout out Carole. Unfortunately, in my experience, the only thing you can do to keep deer away is using a fence. We have a huge deer problem here in PA, so I wrote an article about perennials that deer tend to stay away from but that would not stop them from eating the berries. I’ve also been told that a dog is a good option. Some say even when the dog is in the house at night the deer can sense it. Maybe they can smell them? I love animals but they can be huge pests.

Of course – I will say Dixie has kept them from coming up to our Fenceline – she barks at everything and her scent is all over this property. Thanks!

Whew…job well done! I’m sure that did take a while to accomplish, but I know you’re enjoying the satisfaction.

The gravel is perfect and really makes it look nice, and I love the addition of the solar lights. I can imagine it’s so peaceful and beautiful at night in their gentle glow…

Very peaceful last night I sat outside with Dixie and look at the stars. Felt pretty blessed for all the wonderful experiences God has placed in my life. You know minus the mosquitoes, they’re horrible right now.

What a phenomenal job you did! I love the look of it, so private, almost like a secret garden area.

I adore the sound of gravel when it is walked on. It feels like home.

Enjoy your new space!

Love that – never thought the sound of gravel feeling like home. That made me smile but and I agree. It just kind of cleans up things and that was something I really needed right now.

Your space looks wonderful. I think gardening rules are more recommendations. Never hard and fast. You’ve proved this to be the case.

Once you add that fire pit you’ll be spending mornings and evenings there. I can see you and Robert sitting by the fire, after dark and you can’t work anymore. 🙂

Thanks for the Everwood recommendation. I just love a good binge-worthy TV show and this one sound like something I’d really like.

I’m looking forward to adding the fire pit -but think it will be another two weeks before the temps drop to inspire that activity. Still deciding and I do agree it will be an awesome space to relax. You will like that show kind of reminds me of a hallmark show. I’ve been enjoying it. Hugs!

5. Penny says:

Hi Carole,
    Your truly Amazing lady…. one after my own heart. You love doing area’s in your yard that have a story around them. I love this idea, as when you walk around them, all those fond memories flood though you and make you smile. Yes hard work in deed at the beginning, but what Joy it brings you, and all those who see, and enjoy it into the future with you.
    Keep following your dreams 😊 I so look forward to getting your emails. Yes I am glad you had a body rest time, we all need that too, it re energises us….. keep up the Wonderful work and attitude you have, you make a lot of people smile and give them inspiration to do something positive in their lives. XO

Thank you Penny – you’re so sweet and I love your encouragement. This space was so fun and it was something that I just needed to do and the next step is to decide on what that fire pit will look like. Love hearing those emails are a bright light – I enjoy writing them and knowing they inspire others makes it even better. Hope your weekend is amazing! Carole