Handmade Christmas Nativity Sign

Merry Christmas Welcome Sign

Welcome to another Christmas project that’s super easy.

This year decorating stayed simple because there’s no big plans.  That’s right no plans, our empty nest is kicking back and walking hand in hand.

But you know when Christmas season hits, I get this itch to create handmade decorations.

So, before I cleaned the paint brushes, I turned a few more pieces of scrap wood into a handmade Christmas nativity sign.

My Christmas Color Pallet

This post contains affiliate links for Dixie Belle Paint Click here to read site terms.

The Nativity Paint Palette

Paint colors included my favorite three for Christmas this year, evergreen, pink champagne and coffee bean.  Well I think that coffee bean is my year-round go to treasure because it compliments many of the projects you see here on the blog.

Once I cut these three boards to an even size Dixie Belle evergreen was applied with a simple paint brush.  A thin layer was all that was necessary because the finish needed to appear light.

This time of year, temperatures which slowed down the drying time.  To speed that along the boards went outside to dry.

This little tip will have you stenciling in 10 minutes, this paint is amazing and just perfect for wood crafting.

To visit Dixie Belle’s Paint store just click hereOh, and you’ll love this, with orders $50 or more shipping is only $10.

Dixie Belle

How to Stencil Sign

Steps to Create this Nativity Sign

1. Paint the three boards evergreen then connect from the back with wood using finishing nails.
  2. All stencils came from StudioR12 beginning with the buffalo check pattern using coffee bean.
  3. Merry Christmas Stencils were transferred with Champagne pink.
  4. Then the nativity stencil finished the sign using that same color.

Finished Sign

In a matter of minutes, I had a finished project but wasn’t quite sure how I wanted to hang it until after bringing it outdoors.

The front porch seemed like an inviting space so I ended up drilling two holes towards the top of each side then added burlap ribbon for a hanger.

Merry Christmas Welcome Sign

Finishing touches included more cedar and that green ribbon I found at Hobby Lobby in the fabric department. It almost matches that evergreen paint color perfectly.

I guess you could say this was my version of a Christmas wreath this year and no big surprise that I incorporated wood, paint and stenciling.

Comfort and Joy

Later I made this display for the outdoor table and if you can imagine we’ve actually had a few sunny afternoons where sitting here enjoying a cup of tea has been a great way to relish in the beauty of our lifestyle.

There really is no hustle and bustle at our home during the holidays, just a few homemade decorations that express what we love most about Christmas, the birth of Christ…

Wishing you all a wonderful holiday season and I’ll see you in 2019 – it’s going to be another amazing year!

Make a simple yet beautiful statement for Christmas with a nativity sign using reclaimed wood. #Nativity, #StenciledChristmasSign, #BuffaloCheck

It’s so unusual to see the Buffalo plaid in green, but it is quite festive! Nicely done, as usual!

You know I wanted to do something different so green it was and I really like it.

What a beautiful sign. I really love that shade of green. I’m going to have to pick up some from Dixie. The peacock paint I bought from them was great to work with. The nativity stencil is so sweet and really shows up great on the dark buffalo check background. This would be a nice make and take for your workshop. However, I know that it’s getting late in the season. Enjoy your time off with Robert. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas Carole, and a happy, healthy and joyous New Year.

I love that Evergreen too it’s almost the perfect match to the color I use on my logo. If you ever have a question about colors what matching them just let me know because the combinations are endless and so much fun. It would be a fun workshop maybe next year and just wait till I share with you where that’s all going. I do plan to enjoy my time off – may be on Instagram here and there but for the most part I’ll be regrouping. Marry Christmas to you as well Patti – you are such a gem and blessing to my life.

3. Martha says:

Merry Christmas! What a beautiful Nativity sign, love it

So glad you like it – Hope you’re Christmas is blessed.

4. mickie mclaughlin says:

This is a really fresh looking sign. I LOVE IT. However, I cannot figure out how you did the plaid design, etc. You lost me after you said paint the boards green. LOL Anyway, can you clue me in on this.

Here’s praying for blessings for you and your family during this time and the coming year. mickie

Hello Mickie – Fresh looking is the perfect description because even when it was raining yesterday it was still looking great! So after I painted the boards, I stenciled the buffalo check pattern with coffee bean then I let it dry and went over it with the nativity stencils. Stencils came from Studio R12.

They currently have a 40% off sale that I think ends today. https://www.etsy.com/shop/StudioR12

Buffalo Check: https://www.etsy.com/listing/623212451/buffalo-plaid-checks-pattern-stencil?ga_search_query=buffalo%2Bcheck&ref=shop_items_search_1&pro=1&frs=1

Nativity:https://www.etsy.com/listing/233380289/away-in-a-manger-stencil-11-x-14?ga_search_query=nativity&ref=shop_items_search_2&pro=1&frs=1

Hope you enjoy a wonderful Christmas season and many blessings and prayers to you as well. Hugs! Carole

5. Christine says:

I absolutely love how you incorporate the buffalo check into your signs! It truly is so festive and definitely provides the perfect backdrop to your sweet nativity scene! As usual, you chose the perfect colors, and I adore the pretty green ribbon! Your outdoor tablescape is so lovely and welcoming. I could see myself sitting there enjoying a cup of tea and taking in all of your beautiful landscape! Enjoy your time off and here’s wishing you and Robert have a Merry and joyous Christmas and an exceptionally HAPPY New Year!

Awe thank you! I have been enjoying the break just nice to get caught up on things and find time to relax as well. Happy New Year!