3 Essential Tips for Living Minimal

3 Essential Tips for a Minimal Lifestyle

Minimalism is a concept based on getting rid of the excess so life becomes about experiences rather than worldly possessions.

When we started downsizing over 2 years ago; everybody thought we were pretty crazy.  Like I was on some kind of extreme organization enterprise for getting rid of everything.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

We were really on a journey of living minimal and I didn’t even realize it because honestly, I was just trying to figure out how we were going to downsize for tiny living after years of excess.

What I realized through the process of elimination is you don’t have to live Tiny to be a minimalist.  This concept is about living with less which can be incorporated with all lifestyles.

It just happens minimalism works best for Robert and I through tiny living because space is limited.

So, during our transition, I discovered 3 essential tips that helped bring stability to our new mini lifestyle.

1. We don’t need everything we come in contact with.
  2. Be thankful for what you already have.
  3. When shopping, choose value.

Tip 1 you don't need everything

Essential Tip #1

My first essential tip surfaced around realizing we don’t need everything we come in contact with.  I know that’s hard to believe, but it’s true.

Let’s begin by remembering the day we came into this world. We arrived as a perfect creation, all we needed was the ability to take our first breath.

Hours later we were on our way home to a room that probably took months to prepare when all we really needed was the comfort of those who love us.

We could have cared less about the color on the walls or the outfit we were going to be changed into the following day.

What I’m getting at is that we didn’t need very much to be content in those early days and I believe the same remains true as we grow and mature into adults.

Yet, as we mature into adulthood there’s this desire to gather our lives with things until we just can’t get away from them.

Let’s be realistic most of these things end up in the garage, closet or even attic. That was our home and almost every home I’ve ever walked into because that’s what we do with the excess, we store it.

When you realize you don’t need the excess to be happy, life transpires, it’s very peaceful…

Robert and I noticed really quick that we didn’t need much of anything to be happy or content. We now find comfort through experiences, spending time with one another and with people that bring value to our lives.

Tip 2 Be thankful for what you have

Essential Tip #2

My second essential tip is to be thankful for what you already have. This one was personal and it hit me right in the heart one rainy afternoon when we lived on our farm.

That desire for wanting more can be a dangerous path because it never ends.

This tendency to think we’ll be happier when we reach a certain status or acquire a larger home or new car, well guess what that isn’t real.  To many times consumption just adds another level of emptiness.

Happiness is found within, not in the house you live, the car you drive or the things you acquire.  It’s just good old you, so be thankful for who you are and what you’ve been blessed with because life is challenging enough just by itself.

We embraed Minimal living by being happy and content

Essential Tip #3

My third essential tip involves shopping for value because there will be times when you have to make a purchase.  It’s that simple!

So, “Choose quality over quantity. ”

You can apply this to many things and this has actually helped me stay out of stores because when I choose quality items they last and I shop less.

I go back to something my mom said years ago about buying shoes.  “It’s better to have one pair of good shoes than a dozen pair of cheap shoes.”

As a child I never had more than three pairs of shoes and I remember shoe shopping like it was yesterday.  I could hardly wait!

This was back when there were actual shoe stores and the sales clerk measured your foot to find the correct fitting.  They went to that mysterious back room and returned with several boxes sharing details why that shoe would be a good option.

They even helped lace or buckle the shoe to make sure it would be a comfortable fit.

I might have not liked some of those options but they were comfortable and lasted the entire school year.

To this day when I try on shoes, I always choose comfort and quality over quantity.  As a minimal adult I now have 5 pairs of shoes; making a decision which I’ll wear is a breeze and I can quickly get on with my day.

We embraced Minimal living by being happy and content

When Robert and I embraced a minimal lifestyle, it was by choice and these essential tips helped us get here.

Our home no longer fills up with excess because we realize we don’t need everything, we’re thankful for what we already have and when we shop it’s all about value.

We spend our time laughing, catching new experiences and just enjoying each other’s company. We now have time to do the things we’ve been putting off and our life has this new reborn purpose.

Life doesn’t have to be distracting, so remove those unnecessary possessions and begin to cleanse your space in a way that offers peace, joy and sense of contentment.

Who knows a minimal lifestyle is what you might have been seeking all along?

earn how 3 essential tips can put you on a path to a minimal lifestyle. #MinimalLiving, #TinyLiving

These are all thought provoking great tips. I truly believe having more does not make you happy. And, sometimes if it’s too easy then you don’t really appreciate it. Being grateful for family, friends and health is a big part of my life these days.

Health is huge and something I’m very grateful for as well, it’s been a positive decision for both Robert and I to get healthier and it’s been amazing. It just helps me focus and see things in such a better light.

2. Christine says:

Wiser words were never spoken, my friend! You’ve given me much to think about this rainy Friday. I thank you for that. P.s I miss buying shoes like we used to. Sadly I think That personal touch and care has disappeared and been replaced with communication through our phones! Have a fab weekend!!

It’s suppose to rain here tomorrow so I think I’ll be writing my book. Well here’s some wisdom from my grandmother. She use to warn me about laziness, she said when people become lazy, they will stop caring for one another and only think of themselves. Well I believe she got that one right.

I couldn’t agree more. The gratitude aspect really drives me. It seems that the more thankful I am, the more blessings come into my life. Not material things, just ideal situations or things working out well. I also prefer to have minimal clothes. I’d rather concentrate my energy and thoughts on more important things, like what I need to plant out in the garden!

Hope you are enjoying some spring weather.

Gratitude is a great drive and you really do get it. Minimal clothes how is 20 hangers for all seasons of my good clothes and then just a pile for work clothes. Keeping it simple has proven to me just a healthier and happier way to live. Enjoy a great weekend!

4. Roger says:

This does not work for me. We clean up only what we have to. I realize it is a problem when I have to buy what I already have because it is buried among other things. I bought a new caulking gum which I haven’t used yet. I found the old one I had looked high and low for a week ago. The new gun cost $6, the old one was left over from years ago, probably cost $2 new. A stupid way to live but I can’t seem to adopt the sensible position of taking an hour or so a day just in decluttering and organizing. We had a painful experience of putting up old tools for an auction to discover some of the very tools I needed had been sold and now I had to replace them at new prices, far more than the original cost plus the aggravation that I had to buy them at prices double or more of what they cost just to have them. I do think it is worth the effort if I would only do it. I have done some and it is definitely the right thing to do. Thank you for keeping up the pressure to make me use good sense. I also would miss the old things that remind me or put me in touch with my past, which with a fourth of my income gone in retirement I cannot adopt a new or even equal life to that which I had before retirement. It is sad to contemplate the future but it is bleak at this point.

Maybe a little organization might be helpful to keep from misplacing things. I find it’s just a healthier way to live and the simplicity actually brought us more freedom to create a neat future. I too treasure my past experiences but don’t really need the reminders because they’re rooted in my soul. But I would also agree having a few of them present also makes me smile at different moments. Like my grandmother’s shovel, that is one item that brings back neat memories and I’d never get rid of it. Have a great weekend.

I was reminded of something my mom used to say when I was growing up too: “It’s a good thing your wants don’t hurt you.” She did a great job of teaching me that I didn’t need the next big or popular thing to be happy, and that without them – I’d be just fine. Isn’t it a wonder that most of us have to grow up – a lot – before we realize the wisdom of our parents?

Funny thing is, we never stop growing at least I hope not. I come from generations of excess so you can imagine that my way of living is alien to those roots. However I also find that the excess was molded from a time when things were limited, the depression era. It was just a few generations later when they confused not having anything with comfort and wanting more. It was very interesting but it took me cleaning out the excess in our home to really put it all together.

6. Courtney says:

These are such great tips, even if you’re not choosing the minimal lifestyle. They’re good life lessons in general! The shoe example was something I was just talking about yesterday. 🙂

7. I wear two sets of shoes I use regularly. One for going out and one for mucking the pens. 😀

I still wish for a smaller house but that won’t happen as long as Greg is alive. He likes his space and he loves this house. Someday though when we’re too old to work hard, I’m sure we’ll downsize to a smaller place. For now, I’ve accepted that this is where we’ll be for a while. At least with this much room, I never lack for visits from long distance family. They’re fascinated with our lifestyle.

Smaller is nice but hey you could always turn all that room in a homestead bed and breakfast.

8. These are really great tips, and I think they’re worth thinking about even if you’re not attempting minimalism. I love #1 especially, that one does not come naturally to me!

Comments are closed.