Growing Strawberries in Raised Beds

Growing Strawberries in Raised Beds

I’ve established strawberries several ways and found planting in raised beds always offered the best results.  This really simplified the growing process by offering easy maintenance for healthy plants and a successful harvest.

I’ve even had plants sprout via direct composting which is why I decided to share my tips because a reader recently mentioned they had a batch of plants sprout the same way.

Pretty neat because you never know what additional benefits will transpire when your feeding the soil.

If you weren’t as lucky to have strawberries sprout from direct composting but you still want to add them to your garden, then I suggest doing so now because plants are normally only available prior to spring or fall.

Nurseries down south should still have a few on their shelves and for those further north you shouldn’t have any problems finding new plants.

Planting Conditions for Growing Strawberries

Good Planting Conditions for Strawberries

Once you have a nice selection of plants, the next step is to establish good planting conditions so you’ll be able to enjoy a nice harvest.  Keep in mind strawberries are really easy plants to grow so don’t over think the process.

• First make sure you plant in direct sunlight – they need at least 8 hours to produce that amazing flavor.
  • Prepare the beds prior to planting. Slight acidic soil is preferred and for those with clay, I mix sand, leaves, animal fertilizer, direct compost and even sawdust to establish a good soil base.
  • For sandy soil mix in a rich layer of compost or manure to improve conditions.
  • Strawberries don’t like to be waterlogged so make sure beds are prepped properly otherwise plants may rot during rainy periods.
  • Strawberries also need room to grow, plant 18 inches apart. Many varieties will produce runners,  these can be transplanted after they finish producing.
  • If slugs are an issue where you live then don’t cover the base with organic mulch because you’re just sending out an invitation for slugs to come eat your strawberries.

Strawberries from previous seasons

Where I Decided to Plant

I chose to plant strawberries in my blackberry beds towards the edge.  These beds are 2 ft. x 8 ft. with three vines in each one.  I transplanted my existing strawberry plants and sprouted new ones via composting over the winter.

This was easy enough by placing four plants opposite of the vines giving them plenty of room to grow.  The vines trail up which allows plenty of sunlight for the strawberries to grow out and produce fruit through the summer.

This was a good way to use that additional space; I actually tested this on our farm a few years ago and it worked really great.

Choosing a Raised bed for planting

We have four of these beds and I absolutely love them.  This is a fun design that I built based on trying different things over the years.

When covered with vines they make a neat privacy wall.

Get DIY instructions for these blackberry raised beds here.  They can be used for grapevine, raspberries and blueberries.

Strawberries can be added to any style of raised bed so get creative and have fun with it.

Transplanting Strawberries in the evening

Transplant in the Morning

In the spring I enjoy transplanting in the morning.  Temperatures are still cool and the plants have the entire day to enjoy sunshine and acclimate to their new environment.

Afternoons would also work and the process is pretty simple.

I purchased these plants via impulse because those blooms were a sign, they we’re ready to be in the ground.  This container offered 6 plants for just $1.99 and well I couldn’t pass that up either.

• First soak the tray in water for a few minutes and loosen their root system prior to transplanting and covering with soil.
  • For this step I didn’t need to fertilize because my beds were fed last month and watering wasn’t necessary because things are still very moist as it continues to rain at least once or twice a week.

If the beds are fertilized prior to planting you won’t need to fertilize again for a couple of months when plants begin to produce flowers. This is when nutrients are pulled from the ground at a faster rate because the plant is growing to produce fruit.

Finished Project and happy strawberries ready to grow.

Health Benefits

Strawberries have some amazing health benefits, they actually hold more vitamin c than an orange if you can believe it.

• Help lower blood pressure.
  • Maintain good cholesterol.
  • To my surprise guard against cancer.
  • They’re packed with vitamins, fiber and antioxidants.

It’s smart to grow your own fruit and vegetables if possible because when you decrease food travel time you receive the best nutritional value.

Try growing strawberries in raised beds, you’ll enjoy the ease of caring for these plants this way because it takes very little effort.

Get neat garden tips for growing strawberries in raised beds. Click here to learn more. #GardenTips, #GrowStrawberries

1. That was a great buy on strawberries. Do you remember where you bought them? I’ve got plenty of June bearing, but I’m in the market for a few ever bearing too.

PS Thank you for reminding me about ph. I need to lower mine a bit for them.

I got them at Fix and Feed in Commerce, I like to have a variety too and they’re working great in these raised beds. Gives me additional planting space when they start to produce runners.

The taste! There’s nothing like a homegrown strawberry. Just like tomatoes. Nothing from the store compares.

I couldn’t agree more. When I was a kid well 12, I picked strawberries in the fields, this was my first real paying job. I would sit in the rows picking and well I ate several as well.

I was just thinking the other day about what I might put in my raised beds this year. I’m really late getting into the spring garden mode, but after cleaning them out last weekend, I’m eager to get going. (By the way, that “cleaning out” took a total of about 2 minutes for my 3 raised beds. Raised beds are definitely the way to go!)

My kids all love fresh strawberries, so I just might swing by the co-op this afternoon and get a few containers. Thanks for the inspiration!

I got an early start but the problem is my chickens are not helping, my hen ate all the zinnia seeds I replanted the other day. With and acre to roam you would think they could find another place to hunt for food. So I’ve been keeping them locked up a little more than usual. I love growing strawberries because they’re so easy and I completely agree with you about the quick steps to cleaning out the beds. They just make gardening so easy to maintain.

4. Nicole says:

I too was drawn to the flowering strawberry packs at the store and have already enjoyed the first ripe strawberry! I’m super new to gardening, what fertilizer exactly should I be buying to add to the strawberries? Would that same fertilizer also be good for blueberries?

Hey Nicole, keep in mind I don’t buy fertilizer, I use natural ingredients from my environment. With that being said always go with an organic fertilizer, specifically aged manure. Fish meal and blood meal would also good options for both strawberries and blueberries. Blueberries can also benefit from coffee grounds.

1. Nicole says:

Thanks, I’m happy to use natural as well. So when you say fertilizer, you just mean you add some of your aged compost to the top?

Pretty much – by I don’t have a compost bin, I use direct composting. I also make manure tea and add it to the soil in addition to natural debris, ashes and so on.

1. Nicole says:

Thank you so much!!

5. Diane says:

Thank you Carole for this great info on growing strawberries. I live in upstate SC and there are several farms nearby to get berries once they are ready. I am excited to see how the ones that came up in my raised bed do. They already have some blooms and we just had a nice shower overnight.
    You sure did get a good deal on those 6 plants for 1.99. I love a good bargain on my gardening supplies. Thanks again for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

Diane

Hey Diane – Thanks for stopping by to share. That is such a gift to have fields nearby. I grew up in Skagit County, Washington and picked berries for the “Sakuma Brothers” when I was kid. I kind of took it for granted having so many neat farm options back then. Was just a way of life.

Glad you enjoyed – I too thought $1.99 was a bargain. Now I’m just wondering if the sales clerk made an error because she didn’t know what the plants were. I had to tell her. LOL
      Have a great weekend -Carole

6. Christine says:

Love fresh strawberries!! We have a local strawberry patch that mom and I go to every year and pick as many as we can (minus those we eat while picking)😀 Pinning this for when we move to our forever home but forwarding article to my daughter who is planning her new raised garden beds!! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for passing this along. We had farms like that where I grew up was a neat thing.

7. Neil Andrews says:

Hi Carole
    You mention you have had plants ‘sprout via direct composting’. I have had pumpkins, tomatoes and rock melons (cantaloupe) sprout from seeds that have come from direct composting. But how do you manage to get strawberries to sprout from direct composting? Do you throw some runners into your direct compost?

The strawberry fruit is where the seeds reside and sometimes when I buy from the store I don’t look that close at the container or some are actually green and their expired. I toss them within my direct composting so it’s not a complete waste. Or when I remove a bad part of fruit, it still holds the seed but isn’t edible and in the ground it those seeds have the opportunity to sprout.